Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

2010 applicants....APPLICATIONS, INTERVIEWS, OFFERS [Mark 2] watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Ummmm, occuptional health questionnaire for Bristol??? When did it arrive?? I haven't sent mine but I did hav a text from mum when I was in NZ to ask for my height and weight, would that have been it??? I think I need to ask my rents when they wake up....

NZ is thr coolest country in the world Love it, love it, love it!! I am soooooooo pleased I had a gap year, oh my has it been worth it!! Big big smiles

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Enor)
    Ummmm, occuptional health questionnaire for Bristol??? When did it arrive?? I haven't sent mine but I did hav a text from mum when I was in NZ to ask for my height and weight, would that have been it??? I think I need to ask my rents when they wake up....

NZ is thr coolest country in the world Love it, love it, love it!! I am soooooooo pleased I had a gap year, oh my has it been worth it!! Big big smiles
    I feel exactly the same! but about Australia :p: Could not be more grateful that i was rejected first time round! Its my last week here now 4 months has gone too quickly, planning to get back here as soon as time and money allow!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by haddie...)
    I feel exactly the same! but about Australia :p: Could not be more grateful that i was rejected first time round! Its my last week here now 4 months has gone too quickly, planning to get back here as soon as time and money allow!
    Me too, they seriously have to have been the fastetst 3 and a bit months of my life!! What a great time thouh, I'm just uploading my 1000 photos, can't help but smile!! I am so so grateful for having a gap year now, even though the first few months it seemed like the worst thing ever when everyone went to uni, but really it was soooo worth it!! I will def be returning to NZ when money allows/if money allows as a student and if not then certainly when I'm qualified I'd be interested to go out there maybe for a year or too to work ater I'd been in practise here for a bit. I don't think I could live there permanently, I'm a real home girl and I've really realised it getting back and seeing the sunshone again and the english countryside but I'd def go for a year or two

I hope you really enjoy your last week!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Enor)

yep that would be it it was very simple if you had all the jabs, i know some people have had problems because they hadnt had all the vaccines but i had and it was very simple
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Hey guys, just a quick update - I got my 2.1 degree and my offer for RVC has now changed to unconditional! Whooo. =)

ReputationRep:
    woohoo bet your ecstatic really chuffed for ya, like to see people succeeding maybe see ya in 2 years

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rachhyyyy)
    yep that would be it it was very simple if you had all the jabs, i know some people have had problems because they hadnt had all the vaccines but i had and it was very simple
    majorly excited about uni now, yaaaaaayyyyy Very excited about going to Brizzle with loads of you, I propose a TSR vet night out!!haha

Congratulations Caragh, that's fantastic news!!:woo:

ReputationRep:
    yes yes yes im sooo excited, i cant wait to know which halls im in

ReputationRep:
    4 weeks and 1 days till results
    Gap year people who've been travelling - How did you decide on a trip? Like did you go through one of those organisations...Really want to go to australia or something, but a bit worried about how legit the companies are..? Just looking for some advice really m'thinks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JoMC)
    4 weeks and 1 days till results
    Gap year people who've been travelling - How did you decide on a trip? Like did you go through one of those organisations...Really want to go to australia or something, but a bit worried about how legit the companies are..? Just looking for some advice really m'thinks
    Well I decided I was going to go travelling because I wanted to have a kinda have a once in a lifetime experience and basically make the best of having a gap year which at the time seemed like the end of the world!! I chose New Zealand because I wanted to do something agric based and NZ seemed like a fair agric place!! I googled loads of things etc, including companies like agriventure, anyway I eventually found a scheme called FHINZ (farm helpers in NZ)... Agriventure (nd there was another but i can't remember the name) all suggested year placements which wasn't an option for me for several reasons, mainly because I had my retakes in january, then didn't feel I could leave till the end of march becasue of the possibility of interviews, and from a financial sense, I had to earn the money!! And my earning ability wasn't so great as others purely because I didn't have as much time until the end of Jan because of going to school for my retakes. A friend told me he'd been to Oz with Agriventure for his gap year but wasn't overly impressed, he toldme he'd fet he spent a lot of money for the priviledge of going with them, and although they sort EVERYTHING for you, you pay fairly heavily for it, and he also told me of another girl I kinda know through young farmers who'd gone to NZ with them but had been given a placement she wasn't entirely happy with but made friends while she was out there and ended up going off her own back to another farm the following year. However I've also heard lots of people say good things about them. I guess it depends what you're looking for, if you stick with one of the big well known companies then I think you're pretty safe they're legit, any smaller companies and perhaps you run that risk. FHINZ is a scheme with a list of farms that you can go and work at unpaid for varying lengths of time but you work part time and your food and accommodation is 'given to you'... I LOVED IT!! But you do run the risk that you're going to stay with strangers, for all you know they could be slave drivers or a bit dodgy or whatever, that's a risk you take! I stayed with 2 fantastic families who will be life long friends so it all worked perfectly for me What kindastuff are you hoping to do? Animal work? Work? Charity work? Travelling and having fun?? I'd dedfinitly recommend going aay, I had the time of my life

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone give me any idea what to expect from an outdoor pig farm please?!

I'm doing 2 weeks AHEMS next week and the week after - but haven't done much with pigs before at all, and the little bit I did do/see what indoor.

What sort of stuff is likely to be happening/need doing? Do pigs tend to farrow all year round?

ReputationRep:
    Do you know the stage of the pig farm? They tend to only deal in a fixed stage of the pigs development as far as I know

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kookabura)
    Can anyone give me any idea what to expect from an outdoor pig farm please?!

I'm doing 2 weeks AHEMS next week and the week after - but haven't done much with pigs before at all, and the little bit I did do/see what indoor.

What sort of stuff is likely to be happening/need doing? Do pigs tend to farrow all year round?
    Well, at the farm I go to on Saturdays, I help with the feeding carrying buckets, watering the food, etc., and herding the pigs back to their paddocks from the feeding area (they are shut in individual feeders, it's hard to explain, but they work well for making sure every pig gets fed, and you can keep an eye on their condition and check that they generally look well as they walk in/out). I go round the farrowing huts checking for dead piglets, putting more straw in if it's needed, giving Baycox to the piglets that are between 3 and 5 days old. It varies between farms, I think, but we also have the just-weaned groups, like this, which are fed and strawed. ( http://www.wiltshirevillagemeats.co....osikennels.jpg )

They farrow all year round, and we've moved on to a three-week cycle so that whole groups farrow at once and consequently are weaned at once, instead of as and when, which has led to an increased use of AI (which I have yet to see in progress because I'm never around) and less confusion when feeding sows in the farrowing paddocks -they're all at the same stage, rather than next-door neighbours being two weeks apart in the system. There's a slow patch at the farm at the moment, one of the boars wasn't doing his job, so there were only four or five farrowing paddocks in use.

It's a good job for spring time, really (although that's lambing time as well). If it's really cold, I end up sloshing water down my legs (freezing! :eek: )/feeling like my fingers are going to fall off. If it's really hot, I end up sloshing water down my legs (cooling, but wet socks are uncomfortable)/being shut in boiling hot farrowing huts with stinky dead piglets. Once you have smelled the smell, it never leaves you.

They all pretty much have their own systems, but that's what I do. :yep:

A big animal unit nearby feeds by scattering the big food pellet things early in the morning, much less work-intensive, but I assume there's less contact with the animals.

Where are you working at? I might know of them vaguely...
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Helper
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    PS Helper
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by gernumblies)
    Well, at the farm I go to on Saturdays, I help with the feeding carrying buckets, watering the food, etc., and herding the pigs back to their paddocks from the feeding area (they are shut in individual feeders, it's hard to explain, but they work well for making sure every pig gets fed, and you can keep an eye on their condition and check that they generally look well as they walk in/out). I go round the farrowing huts checking for dead piglets, putting more straw in if it's needed, giving Baycox to the piglets that are between 3 and 5 days old. It varies between farms, I think, but we also have the just-weaned groups, like this, which are fed and strawed. ( http://www.wiltshirevillagemeats.co....osikennels.jpg )

They farrow all year round, and we've moved on to a three-week cycle so that whole groups farrow at once and consequently are weaned at once, instead of as and when, which has led to an increased use of AI (which I have yet to see in progress because I'm never around) and less confusion when feeding sows in the farrowing paddocks -they're all at the same stage, rather than next-door neighbours being two weeks apart in the system. There's a slow patch at the farm at the moment, one of the boars wasn't doing his job, so there were only four or five farrowing paddocks in use.

It's a good job for spring time, really (although that's lambing time as well). If it's really cold, I end up sloshing water down my legs (freezing! :eek: )/feeling like my fingers are going to fall off. If it's really hot, I end up sloshing water down my legs (cooling, but wet socks are uncomfortable)/being shut in boiling hot farrowing huts with stinky dead piglets. Once you have smelled the smell, it never leaves you.

They all pretty much have their own systems, but that's what I do. :yep:

A big animal unit nearby feeds by scattering the big food pellet things early in the morning, much less work-intensive, but I assume there's less contact with the animals.

The smell.. its awful, why I hate pig farms .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skatealexia)
    The smell.. its awful, why I hate pig farms .
    I can't smell the actual "pig" smell anymore. Just the rotting. ...yum.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gernumblies)

Thanks for that Really useful. Just feels a bit strange, because normally when I have been to places I know a bit about the sort of place it it, but I know very little about pigs.

It is a place near Retford, Tiln Farm I think the name is....

ReputationRep:
    im also at an outdoor pig farm all next week,,,then a chicken farm the week after. gonna be busy busy.

at my lambing farm they keep indoor pigs, about 100 i'd say, and one sow farrowed while i was there so i got to see that at least. but i also dont know what to really expect from outdoor pig farming as i can imagine it's quite different :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Enor)
    Well I decided I was going to go travelling because I wanted to have a kinda have a once in a lifetime experience and basically make the best of having a gap year which at the time seemed like the end of the world!! I chose New Zealand because I wanted to do something agric based and NZ seemed like a fair agric place!! I googled loads of things etc, including companies like agriventure, anyway I eventually found a scheme called FHINZ (farm helpers in NZ)... Agriventure (nd there was another but i can't remember the name) all suggested year placements which wasn't an option for me for several reasons, mainly because I had my retakes in january, then didn't feel I could leave till the end of march becasue of the possibility of interviews, and from a financial sense, I had to earn the money!! And my earning ability wasn't so great as others purely because I didn't have as much time until the end of Jan because of going to school for my retakes. A friend told me he'd been to Oz with Agriventure for his gap year but wasn't overly impressed, he toldme he'd fet he spent a lot of money for the priviledge of going with them, and although they sort EVERYTHING for you, you pay fairly heavily for it, and he also told me of another girl I kinda know through young farmers who'd gone to NZ with them but had been given a placement she wasn't entirely happy with but made friends while she was out there and ended up going off her own back to another farm the following year. However I've also heard lots of people say good things about them. I guess it depends what you're looking for, if you stick with one of the big well known companies then I think you're pretty safe they're legit, any smaller companies and perhaps you run that risk. FHINZ is a scheme with a list of farms that you can go and work at unpaid for varying lengths of time but you work part time and your food and accommodation is 'given to you'... I LOVED IT!! But you do run the risk that you're going to stay with strangers, for all you know they could be slave drivers or a bit dodgy or whatever, that's a risk you take! I stayed with 2 fantastic families who will be life long friends so it all worked perfectly for me What kindastuff are you hoping to do? Animal work? Work? Charity work? Travelling and having fun?? I'd dedfinitly recommend going aay, I had the time of my life
    Yeah, i wanted to do animal work...So i have literally just booked a place to go and look after lion cubs in south africa

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kookabura)
    Thanks for that Really useful. Just feels a bit strange, because normally when I have been to places I know a bit about the sort of place it it, but I know very little about pigs.

It is a place near Retford, Tiln Farm I think the name is....
    I haven't heard of there.

No problem, I'm happy to help. Outdoor pigs are my "thing", obviously. :p: I don't know anything about cows, but hopefully that'll change in three weeks' time.

Have a good time!
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Helper
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    PS Helper
    PS Reviewer
    I love cows .

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 21, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.