Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Aww cool! Looking forward to Bristol if they just want to talk about large animal stuff....my specialty :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shedlife)
    Aww cool! Looking forward to Bristol if they just want to talk about large animal stuff....my specialty :p:
    But you don't even want to go to Bristol? I've never heard you say even a slightly positive word towards it :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by steph_v)
    But you don't even want to go to Bristol? I've never heard you say even a slightly positive word towards it :rolleyes:
    Hey if they like large animal, I like large animal.

ReputationRep:
    Hey if they like large animal, I like large animal.
    Don't you mean "if they like large animal, I like Bristol"? :p:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah that is true, I was only asked about LA stuff at my interview, which didn't suit me at all. I definitely think I prefer being asked about vetty stuff rather than the A Level science syllabus, but I suppose everyone is different.
    :eek: But I think it would be unfair to ask someone alot about LA stuff when they haven't had the opportunity to do much experience there.
    I'm not saying the Cam interviews are easy, because they are not, but I think I prefer the mix.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ViolinGirl)
    :eek: But I think it would be unfair to ask someone alot about LA stuff when they haven't had the opportunity to do much experience there.
    I'm not saying the Cam interviews are easy, because they are not, but I think I prefer the mix.
    Almost half my interview was about pigs and I'd only spent a week at a pig farm and only mentioned it fleetingly in my personal statement. I suppose they just want to see how you absorb and recall information you learnt in a short amount of time, a long time ago. Urgh, any other work experience placement I could of talked about for ages, but that one I didn't know enough about. I definitely learnt my lesson for the next two interviews.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rachhyyyy)
    if u havnt done lambing i wud do it, even if its to stop u looking like a bit of a twit when it comes to yr first lambing EMS, wel i dont no i guess if u dont mind turning up as a vet student to a sheep farm to do ems and not having a clue what to do, yes you will pick it up really quickly etc etc but i personally would want some previous experience. i've heard quite a few farmers that have been quite shocked and slightly disapointed when vet students turn up that have never touched a sheep before as some years they get a fairly well experienced vet student and another year a totally unexperienced it must make it pretty tricky for them, but if u have experience they will like u more and hopefully pay you :p: and we all want a bit of money for EMS now dont we :p:
    enough rambling..
    That's a little harsh, Rachy. Don't go scaring people like that :tongue: While it might be slightly beneficial to have some previous experience of lambing it's certainly not a necessity. And you certainly won't be seen as a twit for not having it. There's a surprising number of people in our year who haven't had any lambing experience. No-one's worried about it. We got a lecture giving us the low-down on it. What to look for, the presentations we might see etc. On our PCEMS database there are even farmers that stipulate "no experience required".

People without lambing shouldn't feel like they'll be seen as a total numpty if they can't get a placement. If you can, great, and it's a very good idea to take it up. If not it's definitely not the end of the world.

ReputationRep:
    Bristol don't always ask exclusively about large animal work.

I spent about ten minutes discussing small animal surgery and Cushing's disease with them, because I mentioned I was interested in both. They loved this and started asking me all sorts of questions, and allowed me to say whatever I wanted and get all my technical knowledge out.
    We spent just less than ten talking about TB, and even though I'd only spent half an hour with a vet doing TB testing, I managed to get through this quite successfully.
    The other five minutes were the regular little questions, my questions to them and just general chatter

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emilyyy)
    That's a little harsh, Rachy. Don't go scaring people like that :tongue: While it might be slightly beneficial to have some previous experience of lambing it's certainly not a necessity. And you certainly won't be seen as a twit for not having it. There's a surprising number of people in our year who haven't had any lambing experience. No-one's worried about it. We got a lecture giving us the low-down on it. What to look for, the presentations we might see etc. On our PCEMS database there are even farmers that stipulate "no experience required".

People without lambing shouldn't feel like they'll be seen as a total numpty if they can't get a placement. If you can, great, and it's a very good idea to take it up. If not it's definitely not the end of the world.
    Oh good, I was hoping it shouldn't be too much of an issue, but most of the vet schools say in their work experience section that you should do lambing, so I wasn't sure. And plus, considering how much confidence some of your farms had in you without even being a vet student yet, it sounds like their pretty open to you learning as you go (hopefully :rolleyes: )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oaktrees)
    Violin girl: Can't be bothered to click back 4 pages on this very slow internet to quote you! I got the lambing through a friend of a friend. I just asked around all my friends to see if they knew anyone and I got lucky, given that there are virtually no sheep farsm in Berkshire/surrounding area! But I have never been lambing before and I think this is quite a small family farm, so I might not get to do a huge amount. But we will see. My dairy placement last week was really hands on so hopefully this will be just as good!

Everyone's lambing sounds awesome though!

Good luck to people with interviews today/tomorrow
    Yes, exactly. There is nothing in Berkshire/surrounding area.
    I think I may have found somewhere I can do dairy, so will do in easter. But otherwise...:no:

ReputationRep:
    Almost half my interview was about pigs and I'd only spent a week at a pig farm and only mentioned it fleetingly in my personal statement. I suppose they just want to see how you absorb and recall information you learnt in a short amount of time, a long time ago. Urgh, any other work experience placement I could of talked about for ages, but that one I didn't know enough about. I definitely learnt my lesson for the next two interviews.
    I'd better get to analysing my PS fast! :p:

ReputationRep:
    I don't have a horse nor do I know THAT much about them, but am I right in thinking most people vaccine their horses against equine influenza and tetanus?

ReputationRep:
    ah yeh sorry didnt mean to scare people was more meaning for people who can get lambing, ie have been offfered it/live in a place where u can easily do some (even if u already have an offer!!!!) i would try and do it, as it wil be an advantage when u do lambing for EMS!

ReputationRep:
    and i only vaccinate my horse against tetanus, flu is usually only done if horse has contact with lots of other horses e.g competitions!!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    AHHHHHHHHHHH Interview tomorrow.. the only affordable one I've applied to. *stress!*

Congratulations Rach and Samz and everyone with liverpool offers... that is amazing =)

ReputationRep:
    Oh GOD! I went to a pig farm, and loved it, but it was my first bit of work ex years ago and I can't remember much about it at all I did do some reading up and stuff for my last interview, but I think I will need to do a lot more for this one. I am really worried I won't have the technical knowledge and I will just sit there like a monkey not being able to answer questions very specifically at all!

I don't have a horse nor do I know THAT much about them, but am I right in thinking most people vaccine their horses against equine influenza and tetanus?
    The equine vet I was with over Christmas vaccinated every horse he visited against influenza every year and tetanus every two years.

ReputationRep:
    Is it just me or does the RVC Prospectus cover have NO SHEEP on it??

ReputationRep:
    I really don't think people should worry too much about what other people were asked, they are unlikely to ask exactly the same questions. Just know you PS inside out and be try and make the interview go the way you want to it, try and link everything to something you know a lot about. And just don't **** it up like I did :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sami4132)
    Oh, and a question to everyone who had Edinburgh interviews: how were they compared to others? More vet based, more ps based, science based? Difficult or easy? I'm getting nervous, it's my last chance to impress!
    Edinburgh interview was lovely quite ps based as in they had it in front of them and picked bits to ask me about so make sure you know it really well!! They asked me about a really wide range of stuff but gave me time to kinda think things through and explain stuff
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I want to get asked about the operations i've seen, lameness in cattle, vaccines, my dissertation and my extra curricular, and about the differences between organic and conventional farming. *nod*
    I don't really want 'why do you want to be a vet' as I can't think of a non generic answer. ;/

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 21, 2010

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Staffordshire University
    Nursing and Midwifery Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.