Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FireAndIce)
    Oak what did they say? I heard this year both Clare and Emma had 50 vet apps EACH! and considering they only have like 70 places in total is crazy! So anyone that got a interview did really well
    were do you find out this sort of stuff!?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rachhyyyy)
    ooooooo i cant wait for notts offers... is it the last interview date tomorrow? or is there one in march?
    ahh this has made me nervous, application process will be over so soon :eek: i'm glad i have the bristol interview to focus on or the waiting would drive me crazy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oaktrees)
    Yeah Emma had 49 apps, 4 offers and 6 pooled (4 got offers). Crazy! Basically they were really complementary about me, but just said that my science knowledge let me down, which is fair. Maybe they said that to everyone though! :o: At any rate it was useful for further interviews. I honestly expected feedback to be really rubbish stuff about how many applicants they get, and how they always have more suitable candidates than places etc. So I was pleasantly surprised.
    Woah! :eek:

What are the chances of getting an offer for emma with that number of applicants?!

I knew emma was competive for vet places, but not like that!

ReputationRep:
    I'm keeping my fingers crossed for lots (and hopefully only!) sheep questions at my RVC interview. I might let them throw a nice 'easy' ethics question in as well...but thats it!

People asking about lambing (can't be bothered to go back pages to quote!) Basically it is just phone calls to find a place - ring farms, ask people you know/vets etc, put an advert in any nearby farming supply shops/large animal vets etc.

Farmers are much, much, happier that vets etc to let you have a go, and seem to expect you to get on with it! It is definately the most hands on experience I have done. Someone was saying about what do you do...there will probably be a fair bit of feeding/watering/bedding down/hay etc. Looking after lambs - bottle feeding, stomach tubing, generally looking out for any that aren't 100% and dealing with as appropriate. Actually 'lambing sheep' - generally most farmers will tend to watch the sheep to see when they start lambing and monitor them - if they are struggling for a while, or there is an obvious problem then you assist the ewe. Penning sheep/lambs up. Helping lambs suck/milking the ewe. Adopting lambs onto other ewes. You may be able to ring tails/castrate ram lambs - depends on the farmer (and your age/experience). Basically farmers will expect you to just get on and do a bit of everything!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shiv583)
    ditto :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shedlife)
    I don't have a horse nor do I know THAT much about them, but am I right in thinking most people vaccine their horses against equine influenza and tetanus?
    I know you got the answer for this previously, but it might make you look even cleverer if you tell them that the FEI ruling (for horses in international competitions) is that the horse must have their flu jab every six months, rather than annually like they do for British Eventing, Pony club etc.
    My lad needs his flu jab restarting as it wasn't recorded one year when he was down in Cambridge - eight years ago - so even though he's 'covered' he's not allowed to compete under certain rules... He has tetanus every other year.

Sorry about your dog Starfall
    And good luck for everyone with Notts interviews tomorrow!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ViolinGirl)
    Its like they try to ask you on the things they expect you not to have looked up. If you have lots of LA, and not much SA, they may pick up on that, and vice versa. Yay If its like a cambridge interview i'll be fine...I hope! :p:

At my Bristol interview I got asked the total opposite to what I expected. Ive got loads of SA work experience but only got asked about large animal stuff. I'm a graduate applicant and rather than asking me about my dissertation they asked me about research projects I did in my first and second year. I got asked loads of science stuff too!

Does anyone know how long it takes Bristol to give out rejections after interview.... i'm not hopeful at all

ReputationRep:
    Strictly speaking the 6th month rule for FEI competitions is that your horse has been vaccinated within the last 6 months. So if you competition season does not start till the end of March and is over by mid September you can get your horse vaccinated once a year. works out quite a bit cheaper.

Also your have to have any drugs administered tot he horse recorded in there passport. nothing to do with slaughter regulations, but residuals in system should you have a positive drugs test. Mainly because withdrawal times for most drugs and competing are guesstimates. Sorry really anal on this subject as I can not afford a fine and a positive test when competing my horse at this level.

Dot

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .captainsarah)
    I know you got the answer for this previously, but it might make you look even cleverer if you tell them that the FEI ruling (for horses in international competitions) is that the horse must have their flu jab every six months, rather than annually like they do for British Eventing, Pony club etc.
    My lad needs his flu jab restarting as it wasn't recorded one year when he was down in Cambridge - eight years ago - so even though he's 'covered' he's not allowed to compete under certain rules... He has tetanus every other year.

Sorry about your dog Starfall
    And good luck for everyone with Notts interviews tomorrow!
    Thanks I'll try and drop that in tomorrow at Liverpool :p:

I am absolutely ******** my pants :woo: :woo: just trying to memories the process of laminitis and then going to get a few kills on COD and then get a early night :rolleyes: :cool:

ReputationRep:
    at bristol i was also asked about the PETS travel scheme and i was like "HAH! yeah! i actually learnt this!"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shiv583)
    I was speaking to some of the Vet students and they had all the info and stuff, however they were the only 2 I remember really...

I know Jesus had alot of apps compared to normal aswell, and the najority which were pooled from their went on to get offers I believe

ReputationRep:
    i would really advise ppl to learn LA stuff for bristol, i was asked A LOT about a pig farm where i had only spent a couple of days and a lot about alpacas. they also had my PS in front of them going through it. also a tip for repplicants, they also had my PS from last year in front of them and asked me a question about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sami4132)
    Well, I'm not sure with the Cambridge interviews... I heard that they interview 80% of all applicants, so getting an interview at Cambs isn't quite the same as getting one at the other unis. The others cut down a lot before interview and then give a higher percent of interviewees offers, whereas Cambs gives a lot of interviews and then not as a high a percent of offers (I think)
    Sometimes I think you should read between the lines a little, we all know Cambs gives out lots of interviews compared to offers, but you still have to remember that its a big thing to be able to apply to Cambs and have the interview experience I was saying it put even more positive onto her feedback, despite the fact she sadly didnt get a place...

Sorry if that just makes me sound like a cow, im cranky on lack of sleep hah

ReputationRep:
    my horse has no passport :ninja:

oww anybody fancing coming up to the hills in N.Wales to do lambing? my dad would appreciate the help, coz I'm fed up after 2 months of it....I have never in my life swared as much, and some sheep are just idiots who dont let their lambs suckle, so i've been winded, head butted trampled on, peed on and slaped with after birth...I want lambing to be over!!! hahaha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kaby)
    i would really advise ppl to learn LA stuff for bristol, i was asked A LOT about a pig farm where i had only spent a couple of days and a lot about alpacas. they also had my PS in front of them going through it. also a tip for repplicants, they also had my PS from last year in front of them and asked me a question about it.
    really??!!!! owww ****, mines like the same! hahahaha

ReputationRep:
    Beth I would seriously love to! I don't know if I can though, got a week's lambing at Easter and then really should revise...

Also, shedlife and Anna, did you mention laminitis and pets travel scheme in your PSs?? I am a bit lost about the level of depth I need to go into things which I haven't mentioned, and important, but not particularly topical issues like laminitis. Obvs not pets travel scheme because that it fairly relevant, but even so I am a bit confuzzled.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x_dwin_ffeimys_x)
    really??!!!! owww ****, mines like the same! hahahaha
    they didnt go too in depth with it. just asked me a question about euthanasia. its was a tad odd cos i really wasnt expecting them to use my old PS!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oaktrees)
    Beth I would seriously love to! I don't know if I can though, got a week's lambing at Easter and then really should revise...

Also, shedlife and Anna, did you mention laminitis and pets travel scheme in your PSs?? I am a bit lost about the level of depth I need to go into things which I haven't mentioned, and important, but not particularly topical issues like laminitis. Obvs not pets travel scheme because that it fairly relevant, but even so I am a bit confuzzled.
    nope, i didnt. i learnt stuff about loads of laws though so i was glad to be asked about one of them.

i would love to go lambing too, i've never done any before, looking for some now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annaconda)
    at bristol i was also asked about the PETS travel scheme and i was like "HAH! yeah! i actually learnt this!"
    I love it when that happens

PETS travel scheme isn't too complex I think. If I remember correctly it is just used to allow the travel of animals between certain countries in the EU, without the animal having to go into quarantine for 6 months. They need to have rabies vaccination, some blood test and to be microchipped at least 6 months prior to travel.

Is that all ?

Otherwise I need to look it up...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ViolinGirl)
    I love it when that happens

PETS travel scheme isn't too complex I think. If I remember correctly it is just used to allow the travel of animals between certain countries in the EU, without the animal having to go into quarantine for 6 months. They need to have rabies vaccination, some blood test and to be microchipped at least 6 months prior to travel.

Is that all ?

Otherwise I need to look it up...
    Thats the only relevant thing we would need to know, just been looking it up myself! :p:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 21, 2010

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.