Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rachhyyyy)
    noo might of just been general negging of the Rachhyyyy but it was the post that sed im gona dock them that they negged me for! ah well :p: i wudnt want to own a non docked working spaniel, plus its hardly illegal for working dogs
    Hmm..I personally don't agree with docking. But wouldn't neg rep you :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmaaa..)
    ahhh mine was an 11 o'clock one as well. wasnt too bad though as we stayed over in liv the night before.
    cant believe its been 2 weeks already...time flies.

Yeah that's an idea, i might investigate places to stay overnight Fingers crossed for an offer for you!

ReputationRep:
    Ho hum, I have a relatively early interview (10.40am) so thinking I might travel up the night before. It is only 2 hours drive but I really don't want to get stuck in motorway rushhour traffic, and I have driven the road loads of times on the way down to Cornwall, it is usually pretty busy. Undecided whether to or not!

Also, did people who went with their parents find that it was good/awkward? Were there places for them to sit? This is Bristol related obvs. My mum hasn't come with before to much apart from the Ed open day so I have no idea

ReputationRep:
    Hi again everyone!! So i thought i posted on here at the weekend but apparently i hadn't, so just wondered if somebody could please update me on the last fortnights events in brief please!! (Sorry if i did actually post and somebody has written me a reply but i can't find it!!) I especially want to know any good news My Liv interview on the 3rd was horrific!!! I expect rejection big time!!! I've been lambing full time since my exams finished (with the exception of the liv day) and have been craaazzzzyy busy!! So not had much compuetr access! Anyway, please somebody, do let me know what's going on! Hope all's well with everyone

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oaktrees)
    Ho hum, I have a relatively early interview (10.40am) so thinking I might travel up the night before. It is only 2 hours drive but I really don't want to get stuck in motorway rushhour traffic, and I have driven the road loads of times on the way down to Cornwall, it is usually pretty busy. Undecided whether to or not!

Also, did people who went with their parents find that it was good/awkward? Were there places for them to sit? This is Bristol related obvs. My mum hasn't come with before to much apart from the Ed open day so I have no idea
    At least you are driving I getting there by train. First to Reading. Then to Bristol, then to Yatton, then grab a taxi, then try to find my way around, as i've never been to bristol before!

My mum offered to come, but I don't know if there is any point really It'll just increase ticket price to £70 :o:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vet_Face)
    Yeah that's an idea, i might investigate places to stay overnight Fingers crossed for an offer for you!
    awh thank you, im hoping so too! :p:
    good luck for 2 weeks today! xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Enor)
    Hi again everyone!! So i thought i posted on here at the weekend but apparently i hadn't, so just wondered if somebody could please update me on the last fortnights events in brief please!! (Sorry if i did actually post and somebody has written me a reply but i can't find it!!) I especially want to know any good news My Liv interview on the 3rd was horrific!!! I expect rejection big time!!! I've been lambing full time since my exams finished (with the exception of the liv day) and have been craaazzzzyy busy!! So not had much compuetr access! Anyway, please somebody, do let me know what's going on! Hope all's well with everyone
    hey you!!
    i wrote to you saying not to worry that u thought your liverpool interview was bad, i thought mine was atruly awful and look at my sig :p:
    there has been more liv interviews, more bris interviews, bristol and liverpool offers, i think thats it

why dont u agree with tail docking violin girl? im talking working dogs here not for showing/image?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beckybob)
    MEEEEE! I have sooo much free time! I really want some hands on lambing experience, i did 3 days at a farm, which had got rid of all its older ewes, and ewes that had difficult lambings the previous year, so they had their 'good' ewes left, so nothing needed assisting when i was there, i learnt alot, but did nothing practical, apart from ride around on a quad bike.
    We lamb outside, have around 1000 ewes, but spread over hundreds of acers, we leave the mountian ones alone coz they usually lamb themself, we just chek on them every 3 days, but we go round the yearlings, twins and X texels all day...so yeah most of it will be done on the Quad, jumping off to rugby tackle fit sheep, and numbering twins! It's nothing like indoor lambing, you don't have to dip in idodine or treat against becterial diseases coz it's not intensive. But you will get to see working sheep dogs at their best... but if you want you can come, we lamb through April
    (Original post by Enor)
    few uncon offers from Liv...few more bristol interviews, and tahts all on the vet app side..
    lots of talk about lambing!
    and I havn't been following proply either also coz of crazzy lambing!!
    Sure Liv went better than u think

may I ask why are people against tail dockin working dogs? Have you ever seen a dog at work? if they had long tail theyd easily catch on to wires and bushes and stuff, and get riped up....or are you also agains all kind of hunting?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oaktrees)
    Ho hum, I have a relatively early interview (10.40am) so thinking I might travel up the night before.
    You should put your application status in your sig so we can all have a good nosey

ReputationRep:
    right im gona have a rant now because people keep negging me!!!
    and it will be a good discussion on an issue that might come up at interview!

it actually shocks me that people that want to be vets dont agree with docking working dogs, im guessing you dont come from country areas/ places where their are many working dogs!? i hope so!

BUT here i am talking about working dogs, spaniels that drash through cover at 100mph, and you as vets dont want to be dealing with dogs with damaged/broken tails which DOES happen if not docked, (most dogs that are worked are docked, i have hardly ever seen a nondocked working dog but ive heard storys of those few that have really mangled up their tails and had to go through alot of pain and surgery/sometimes amputation later in life) and docking at a young age causes basically NO pain, similar to that in sheep, be funny if people dont mind it in sheep but disagree with it in dogs....
    ???
    both with sheep and dogs docking is done for a reason to protect the animal, so whys that ethically wrong???
    i personally think it would be more wrong to work a non docked dogs because of the highly increased risk of injury and as i will be selling my dogs to working homes only i will be getting them legally docked. which i think is completely ethically corect and i actually got asked about this in my bristol interview..

ReputationRep:

it actually shocks me that people that want to be vets dont agree with docking working dogs, im guessing you dont come from country areas/ places where their are many working dogs!? i hope so!

BUT here i am talking about working dogs, spaniels that drash through cover at 100mph, and you as vets dont want to be dealing with dogs with damaged/broken tails which DOES happen if not docked, (most dogs that are worked are docked, i have hardly ever seen a nondocked working dog but ive heard storys of those few that have really mangled up their tails and had to go through alot of pain and surgery/sometimes amputation later in life) and docking at a young age causes basically NO pain, similar to that in sheep, be funny if people dont mind it in sheep but disagree with it in dogs....
    ???
    both with sheep and dogs docking is done for a reason to protect the animal, so whys that ethically wrong???
    i personally think it would be more wrong to work a non docked dogs because of the highly increased risk of injury and as i will be selling my dogs to working homes only i will be getting them legally docked. which i think is completely ethically corect and i actually got asked about this in my bristol interview..
    I'm keen for tail docking on working dogs :eviltongue: except I don't think dogs can run at 100mph

There my two cents. :gthumb:

:p:

ReputationRep:
    What about dew claw removal too?

Tail docking is certainly needed with working dogs!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shedlife)
    I'm keen for tail docking on working dogs :eviltongue: except I don't think dogs can run at 100mph

There my two cents. :gthumb:

:p:
    :lol: :lol:

ReputationRep:
    personally i didnt used to agree with docking cos they only docked dogs round here are aggressive type dogs and it is done for show really, but after meeting rachels dog i can understand why people do it. If they dont get them docked theyd probably get them caught on something and injure themselves badly, causing more pain than just having it removed in the first place.

and i dont see the problem with dew claw removal either really, my dog only has one, dont know why, but he chews at the other one, so its possible he could pull it off himself. its not like they really need them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LDVet)
    I only agree with docking where it could prevent injury, like in working dogs as Rachyyy said.
    Obviously pointless mutilation is something I don't agree with, but I don't have a problem with it happening in dogs who will definetly be worked and are more likely to injure their tails. I think it's totally illegal in Scotland though actually, someone confirm this?
    :yep: tail docking is completely banned in scotland http://www.cdb.org/awa/index.htm

ReputationRep:

???
    See I would generally tend to agree with you; doing it for prophylactic reasons would be great - if it weren't for the fact that there is very low incidence of tail damage, even if the dog is working under close cover. Despite having worked in a countryside practice, and having assisted in the tail-docking procedure countless times (both before and since recent changes in legislation) I have never once seen a dog come in with a tail injury.
    This includes working retrievers etc, who also run under fairly close cover but have tails totally intact.
    I support the removal of dew claws far more than I do the docking of puppies tails.

I like that you're considering the ethics behind it all - and you certainly don't deserve negative rep because your opinion has clearly been fairly well constructed, with the welfare of the pups at the forefront of your mind.
    But I'm still err-ing as to whether I agree with it or not. I think the answer is I feel it's almost necessary in a working dog - though the fact that I believe that disgusts me.

A more interesting question to ask yourself, everyone, is if someone came in wanting you to dock a litter of puppies, would you do it?
    If you say no, what are the chances of the breeder going away and trying to do it himself, without the anaesthetic and better hygiene you can provide?

(Oh, and Rachy, one thing I do totally disagree with is where you say it causes no pain. It causes quite a lot of pain. In dogs and in sheep. Plus it has been linked to problems later in life, including incontinence. And - though I personally think this is ridiculous- people also suggest it compromises the dog's ability to communicate. That's why it's such an ethical dilemma.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LDVet)
    I think it's totally illegal in Scotland though actually, someone confirm this?
    That's correct.

I'm inclined to favour the Scottish view, for two reasons.

1. The tail plays a huge role in communication between dogs, and so I think it is essential for any dog to be able to function normally.

2. It makes enforcement easier. Currently, certain breeds are exempt but not everyone that, for example, has a working breed actually works that dog. Having a blanket policy, I believe would result in a greater amount of benefit from the legislation.

Though, I do view docking in the working dog as a prophylactic measure to be more acceptable than in non-working dogs, since the risk of injury is higher. However, I still don't think its benefits outweigh the points I've mentioned above.

PS: Good luck to anyone who had a Notts interview today.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x_dwin_ffeimys_x)
    That sounds like the lambing experience i would have got at the placement if anything had actually needed lambing, . I'm definately keen. Where abouts do you live?

As for the current topic, i'm for docking working dogs tails.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beckybob)
    As for the current topic, i'm for docking working dogs tails.
    Can you elaborate as to why you are?

ReputationRep:
    hm yeh emily always has a good view on everything

golden retreivers do a completely different job to a spaniel in the working shooting field though, your labs and retreivers are usually used as picking up dogs so will go into cover to pick up birds whereas a spaniel is used for flushing birds in the beating line, ive onlyh ever seen one spaniel in the working field that is non-docked and the ownersed it often bleeds after a day working but hasnt had any serious injury yet but they would never buy a non docked spaniel again. I think teh fact you dont see injured tails on spaniels is because there is VERY VERY few that arent docked because liek u sed owners wil usually go out of their own way to get them docked, legally OR illegally!!!
    Spaniels are very different dogs to a retreiever or such like, they are mental and will run thorugh anything, pain or no pain, they have flushing in teh blood and they go thorugh the ROUGHEST of cover, my dog had an inch blackthorn in her side after a days working, they will honestly go thorugh anything!! i no ALOT of male spaniels that have damaged there private areas aswell, which shows the likelyhood of the tail being caught.

i dont no about the procedure but i would imagine it cause ALOT less pain as a 2 day old pup than a tail amputation or repeated injuries thorughout life? ive neevr seen the docking procedure, and as a vet i would only dock tails if i new the owner (trusted client) AND i new that BOTH parents are working dogs and when advertised they are advertised as WORKING ONLY!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 21, 2010

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.