Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Totally off topic but:

I PASSED MY DRIVING TEST!!!!! I had already failed it three times so this is such a relief...

Problem is I always used my parents inability to get me everywhere I wanted to, as an excuse for not doing some work experience. How on earth am I supposed to do school work when I can get up to the sheep farm whenever I want!!!!

You probably won't hear from me much now (saturday onwards lambing officially starts) I'm going lambing!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Talon19921992)
    Totally off topic but:

I PASSED MY DRIVING TEST!!!!! I had already failed it three times so this is such a relief...

Problem is I always used my parents inability to get me everywhere I wanted to, as an excuse for not doing some work experience. How on earth am I supposed to do school work when I can get up to the sheep farm whenever I want!!!!

You probably won't hear from me much now (saturday onwards lambing officially starts) I'm going lambing!
    Nice wooon, bestest thing that has ever happend to me!!!!
    I still find the time to go TSRing while lambing :p: I'm on my lunch houer brake atm! haha
    and about falcony....I know nothing of it, I hate it when ppl give opinions on stuff when they don't have nothing to support their answer....

ReputationRep:
    Totally off topic but:

Well Done!

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm, revision or no revision...
    I have my last 2 exams today and tomorrow, both oral exams and both contribute 2% to my overall mark. But I can't be bothered revising. :yep: Ahh, only a day until freedom!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ViolinGirl)
    I spent about 2 hrs reseaching docking. The previous discusion has got me hooked on it, I really want to find out where I stand :p:

I would just like to have some views on the use of working dogs (still don't understand it fully) Why is it justifiable to use working dogs? Is shooting/hunting necessary?
    I'm gonnaquoteyou again :p: hehe

Rachy can explain better probs about the behaviour of spaniels, but they are crazy dogs with hunting bred into them, it's what they love doing! same as hounds when it comes to fox hunting, and when the fox hunting ban came into force thousand of hounds were put down, because they are not house pets, and would be way to much work for their owners.
    Could say the same about dolmations, they were bred back in the days to look nice running along the sides of a horse and carrige, thats why they are so thik and clumbsy :rolleyes:

My dad is in a small scale shoot, they rear a few phesant themselves but not intenisive at all, and then they go shooting every sat for a few months, all the birds that are shot do get eaten. do you know the role of the dogs in shooting? like you have some on the line while beating (scaring the phesants),a nd others are the retrives who collect the birds.
    I went ona shoot a few weeks ago for the first time I have never been with my dad, and I didn't get the enjoyment out of it as some ppl do...people could easily tell me, well you rear lambs and calves who then go on for human meat, why don't you like shooting? but I'm not agains it if the phesants are eaten, I just didnt enjoy being part of the killing!! (this coming froma proper farmer girl not a townie)

you also have the larger scale shooting which i don't like, coz most of the birds whoa re killed are burried, yes it's fun for the dogs and the people, but hell it cost like £3000!!
    I have been part of shooting clay pigeon, which involved shooting clay discs...I don't have the gutts to kill a bird!

ReputationRep:
    Totally off topic but:

3 times :eek:

My friend failed his twice and he got so ripped for it :p: I swear like everyone else in our school passed first time :rolleyes: he did get a BMW after he passed; 3rd time lucky :o:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shedlife)
    3 times :eek:

My friend failed his twice and he got so ripped for it :p: I swear like everyone else in our school passed first time :rolleyes: he did get a BMW after he passed; 3rd time lucky :o:
    Yeah Yeah nearly everyone in my school passed first time as well, luckily I have been able to keep my failings underwraps, and it doesn't matter now anyway!!!!! :p: :p:

YAAAAY so happy! :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Totally off topic but:

Well done!!!, i passed mine yesterday 1st time ! :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JoMC)
    Well done!!!, i passed mine yesterday 1st time ! :woo:
    Well done!!!

I have to say though you are totally missing out on the feeling you get after passing having failed it numerous times!!! :p:

ReputationRep:
    There are other ways to mentally stimulate spaniels that don't involve killing other animals though, guys. I'm not arguing that spaniels etc shouldn't be worked - just that I don't exactly approve of shooting as a sport and therefore don't think it's the best way to work them.

Rearing animals for meat - who are then going to be slaughtered in as humane a way as possible - is very different to just shooting animals for the fun of it.

ReputationRep:
    As far as we know from ppl on TSR, is the last RVC interview date 11th March?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sami4132)
    As far as we know from ppl on TSR, is the last RVC interview date 11th March?
    I just checked the facebook group, thats what it looks like, although offers arnt given out until the end of march

ReputationRep:
    Got a Liverpool interview 3rd March 3pm. sooooooo happy. Anyone else the same day?

ReputationRep:
    Well Done

ReputationRep:
    Hey well done, especially with all your other rejections! Know how that feels, but all it takes is one interview and one offer, so good luck!

Well, RVC says they won't make decisions until interviews are over, so maybe they'll start getting in touch the week of the 15th of March (here's hoping, I HATE waiting!)

ReputationRep:
    Atleast it's one, we only need one offer right?? haha
    Just have to work my socks off to get noticed.

ReputationRep:
    how many bristol interview dates are left to be given out? i know it was said before but ive looked back and cant find it anywhere so was just wondering if anyone could remember

ReputationRep:
    I think the conclusion was there are probably 2 Bristol dates left.

Congrats on interviews, and the driving test

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ClaireW2708)
    I think the conclusion was there are probably 2 Bristol dates left.

Congrats on interviews, and the driving test
    thank you!!!!!

i have a really bad memory :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rachhyyyy)
    and your point about not working them is just REDICULOUS, u actually think it would be better to STOP working dogs than it is to dock them????????? thats so so so stupid!!!!
    these dogs are bred to work, they are nothing without their work, they love it, it would be cruel to stop a working dog from working, you talk to any RSPCA or whatever people and u see how many working dogs they have to re-home, alot of the gundog breeds, again spaniels come up alot, people CANNOT handle them because of there NEED to work and there exercise needs are so great that people that cant provide work for them just cant keep them!!!!!
    But this raises the (very interesting) point that we have bred them to this stage, and brings into question whether or not that's acceptable.
    If we breed a dog selectively until it has all the ideal characteristics, it is then almost wrong to say that they have to work. They don't have to work in the field of hunting and killing for sport, but they are simply because it's one of the easiest ways to keep them occupied.
    Certainly, it's cruel to buy a working dog and not stimulate him; this doesn't defend then docking tail and using the dog to work.

Reading Watkinson's "On The Destiny Of Species" is actually really interesting. His views on how we have more or less utterly disfigured the canine (amongst others) species are a bit of a shock to read.

Take an extreme example:
    For the sake of paedomorphia, Bulldogs have reached the point where they are risking their life by going outside and exposing themselves to hot weather, or simply having sex. One of the most fundamental mammalian acts now puts a species in danger simply because we have force bred them. So it's at the point where more often than not, surgical insemination under full general anaesthesia is required.
    Further(/worse) still, 'Bulldogs require a C-section for delivery of puppies 90% of the time'.

So, effectively, you personally are now prolonging the "need" for docked tails and the notion that these dogs should be worked.
    I'd imagine you had your ***** covered by a dog with all those wonderful characteristics desired in a working dog; when you have these puppies, as you said, you'll have the tails docked. Then they'll be bought by people who will most likely want to work them.
    The cycle continues, and it's a vicious one that can take extreme turns as demonstrated by the Bulldog above.

You cannot justify the working a dog simply of the grounds of "it was bred to work"; had you bought a dog that you decided to work as the easiest form of stimulation, that would be understandable.
    But by having puppies, you're continuing the trend which makes your statement far less meaningful.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. London Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  2. Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.