Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

2010 applicants....APPLICATIONS, INTERVIEWS, OFFERS [Mark 2] watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OllyH)
    Personally I'm tending towards a career in LA medicine and have grown up in a rural community. I'm against some of the things you have mentioned and not others.
    I think sacrificing animal welfare in order to please clients or just to be though of in a certain way contradicts the first guiding principle in the RCVS's guide to professional conduct.
    As a vet you're the one person who is there on behalf of the animal's welfare, that's what the whole job is based upon. I think any good LA vet will disagree with a typical farmer's view, however that doesn't mean you can't be liked as a vet. How you approach these matters is paramount and so with good communication and eduction you can improve animal welfare while keeping the farmer on side (by means of co-inciding the improvement with business/moral improvement.)

EDIT: Sorry for the double post.
    owwww god deffo, a vet should not have a farmers opinion!!
    To disgust some ppl, I have an aufull story about FM time, farmers got paid a lot if their animals were culled, so some farmers acctaully tried to catch it, and one acctaully poured boiling water into his lambs mouth, to blister it so it looked like FM....EVIL
    I'm even against some opinions my dad comes up with, but he's usually v.good when it comes to animal welfare, a lot better than most farmers!
    But what ppl should know is they will be fixing dogs taht will be used to hunt/ shoot/kill other animals...even illegally
    But you don't tick all of the statments do you :p: so ur ok to be a LA vet..haha who am I to say I know :rolleyes:
    oww and one last thing, about a post you posted earlier, how come are you turning from being pro fox hunting to being against it?
    (Original post by Erulisse)
    Definitely: if we create a problem which causes suffering we should make every effort to get rid of it, even if it causes the loss of a characteristic which gives better performance. Health and welfare should always come before performance.

Health and performance usually come together, the healthier the animal the better it performes!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x_dwin_ffeimys_x)
    oww and one last thing, about a post you posted earlier, how come are you turning from being pro fox hunting to being against it?
    I'd say I was brought up pro-fox hunting by my parents/ the area where I live. I was and still am impressed by how much fun it is for the people/horses/dog, and also liked the traditional aspects and just the pure spectacle of seeing the hunt galloping off into the distance. (apart from when they come near/in our fields and send our horses wild ofc :rolleyes: )

Now I think there is an ethical issue in regards to the welfare of the fox. It is uneccesary killing in my view since I don't think it is effective pest control. Fox levels have actually decreased round here since the ban, mainly because the hunt have stopped breeding foxes to hunt. And the same amount of fun can be had with drag hunting. So I can't think of any rational reason to support it.

ReputationRep:
    owwww god deffo, a vet should not have a farmers opinion!!
    To disgust some ppl, I have an aufull story about FM time, farmers got paid a lot if their animals were culled, so some farmers acctaully tried to catch it, and one acctaully poured boiling water into his lambs mouth, to blister it so it looked like FM....EVIL
    I'm even against some opinions my dad comes up with, but he's usually v.good when it comes to animal welfare, a lot better than most farmers!
    But what ppl should know is they will be fixing dogs taht will be used to hunt/ shoot/kill other animals...even illegally
    But you don't tick all of the statments do you :p: so ur ok to be a LA vet..haha who am I to say I know :rolleyes:

Health and performance usually come together, the healthier the animal the better it performes!
    Good God really? That kind of deliberately harmful and malicious behaviour actually makes me feel ill. On a similar note, I was watching an RSPCA programme the other day, this guy had kept an emaciated dog, 4 chickens (one of which was actually dead and rotting away) and a cat with a litter of kittens shut up in an airless shed with no food for 3 weeks whilst he went away on holiday. :sad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ClaireW2708)
    I wouldn't say I'm an SA person, but neither would I say I'm planning on LA..I genuinely have no idea at the moment.
    Of your list, I'm against cosmetic testing on animals, but not medical testing, against intensive farming, fairly definitely against bull-fighting and somewhat undecided now on docking/hunting/shooting, as I don't think I have the knowledge to come to a definite opinion.

Guys, its really interesting seeing everyone's different views on things. Shame some people are petty enough to neg-rep if they disagree, but never mind. I don't feel like I'm really contributing to it, because I'm not knowledgeable enough to have much to say about it, but I love reading it all and using it to form my own views.
    I will admit my last line in that post was a bit mean!! :o:
    owww and i'm not for all of them either, incase ppl think! and I agree with you on animal testing!
    hmmm I want to work on a mixed practise, but I also want to do a bit of research, and would like to travel around the world :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OllyH)
    I'd say I was brought up pro-fox hunting by my parents/ the area where I live. I was and still am impressed by how much fun it is for the people/horses/dog, and also liked the traditional aspects and just the pure spectacle of seeing the hunt galloping off into the distance. (apart from when they come near/in our fields and send our horses wild ofc :rolleyes: )

Now I think there is an ethical issue in regards to the welfare of the fox. It is uneccesary killing in my view since I don't think it is effective pest control. Fox levels have actually decreased round here since the ban, mainly because the hunt have stopped breeding foxes to hunt. And the same amount of fun can be had with drag hunting. So I can't think of any rational reason to support it.
    They bred foxes to hunt? I did not know this before :eek: that is wrong!!!
    Here they have never hunted with horses just hounds and they still do, but we all lamb outside and foxes do kill a lot of lambs each year! and thats the reason for doing it, they sometimes don't even catch a fox! would you be agianst this?

(Original post by oaktrees)
    Good God really? That kind of deliberately harmful and malicious behaviour actually makes me feel ill. On a similar note, I was watching an RSPCA programme the other day, this guy had kept an emaciated dog, 4 chickens (one of which was actually dead and rotting away) and a cat with a litter of kittens shut up in an airless shed with no food for 3 weeks whilst he went away on holiday. :sad:
    you tellign me, he was bragging about it in the pub one day about the £££ he'd recieved, obv the other farmers reported him!
    some people are just sick!!!

ReputationRep:

Nope not always true... in the show ring, the chihuahua might perform better if its head conforms more strongly to the "breed description" even if it's brain is pressed against the inside of its skull causing neurological issues and haemorrhage.

Based on the assumption you are talking about working dogs however, I introduce the shar-pei. This breed was bred for hunting and the extra folds of skin protected the dog if it was bitten around it's head and neck: it could effectively turn in its skin and anything with a hold on it would gain nothing but skin.

I can come up with examples for many other breeds as well. Although, you are right about border collies: that breed has generally been very well patroned and the dogs are long lived and usually in superb health.

Obviously an ill dog will perform poorly compared to a healthy one, but it isn't really this kind of health I am talking about. :p: I mean genetic health; health issues and illness caused by poor/over/in breeding.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annaconda)
    i wouldnt have been born if t wasnt for hitler
    Actually, neither would I, very good point.

ReputationRep:
    Nope not always true... in the show ring, the chihuahua might perform better if its head conforms more strongly to the "breed description" even if it's brain is pressed against the inside of its skull causing neurological issues and haemorrhage.

Based on the assumption you are talking about working dogs however, I introduce the shar-pei. This breed was bred for hunting and the extra folds of skin protected the dog if it was bitten around it's head and neck: it could effectively turn in its skin and anything with a hold on it would gain nothing but skin.

I can come up with examples for many other breeds as well. Although, you are right about border collies: that breed has generally been very well patroned and the dogs are long lived and usually in superb health.

Obviously an ill dog will perform poorly compared to a healthy one, but it isn't really this kind of health I am talking about. :p: I mean genetic health; health issues and illness caused by poor/over/in breeding.
    aaa OK you wiin :o:

ReputationRep:
    How many of you on here are veggeterians, against fox hunting, against animal testing, against shooting, against horse racing, againt intensive farming, against docking, against de-horning, against breding non-mongrals, against ridding natural enviroments, against bull fighting, against falcony thing talon was on about ?? coz seriously, most farmers would detest having a vet with some of the views given on here...so I guess ur SA ppl :rolleyes:
    LMAO!!!!

Just got back from RVC, 7 hours to get there, 5 hours back, what a ******* watse of time!!! its got nothing on Glasgow, could have gone to work today and earnt some money! EURGH!

ReputationRep:
    loving beths post :woo:

and the but that i sed about money was to piss you all off as i new you'd all be like "ahhh its not about money" IT WAS A JOKE!!!

and as Tonyyy really wants his Q's answered by me i will answer them even though i weant this debate over.

and working cocker is a breed, when u register with kennel club you register them as a ECS or a WORKING cocker spaniel, type or breed or whatever they are COMPLETELY different in my opinion, especially ones that have been bred down working lines with FTCH and FTW in the pedigrees like mine, anna has seen my dog, its INSAIN, thats what a proper working cocker is bred to be like, yeh there is varation in temperment but u'll find the good workers are the "crazy" ones.

ok your questions.. selective breeding, yes it can have detrimental effects, its something i really want to change in the dairy industry as a vet as its effecting dairy cow welfare in my opinion because people have been breeding milking machines and havnt thought about the health of the cow whilst doing so, i want to improve fertility, longetivity, and no. of lactations in modern dairy cows and that what im gona do.

in my dog, i dont see ANY welfare issue at all, they have no health problems, no welfare issues, and im not selective breeding in the same way, ive chosen a dog that i think brings together the good points of my dog, good points of him to make a perfect working dog.

Q no.2, why wud my puppies have health problems JUST because they are pedigree? thats rediculous. and very steriotyping.
    no.3 THE MONEY WAS A JOKE, i wont make any money after docking/vaccinating/stud fee/microchipping/advertising etc

no.4 when i KC register my pups they will be WORKING COCKERS, its an option on the KC registering thing so yes its a different breed???!!! i dont no wether it would be classed as breed or type but they are VERY different, have u never seen a working cocker? and a show cocker? no?

ReputationRep:
    Thank you :p:

ReputationRep:
    Just because you register them separately doesn't mean they are two different breeds. To bring up my previous example, arabs can be registered as egyptian etc They are the same thing. I AGREE they are two different types but they are the same breed!!

ReputationRep:
    Just because you register them separately doesn't mean they are two different breeds. To bring up my previous example, arabs can be registered as egyptian etc They are the same thing. I AGREE they are two different types but they are the same breed!!
    dont no the defination difference between type and breed, do u?

ReputationRep:
    wow it's gone completely mental on here! i'm not even gonna give my opinion to be honest i don't know enough about farming/hunting and the rural way of life to justify anything. it's going to vet school and meeting everyone/learning about their opinions and seeing things from a veterinary point of view that i'm looking forward to. and despite this i'd love to be an LA vet

ReputationRep:
    Cocker spaniels are the smallest of the working land spaniels. The English springer spaniels were the largest of this family, while the field spaniel made up the middle sizes. At one time all three sizes could be found in the same litter and were registered according to size. Today, the cocker spaniel has been split into two separate breeds, one evolving in the United States and having long, flowing hair, and the other evolving in Britain and remaining relatively similar to the field and springer spaniel breeds.

Read more at Suite101: Cocker Spaniels: The Differences between the English and the American http://dog-breeds.suite101.com/artic...#ixzz0fvZ64hd9

ReputationRep:
    they are now seperated and ARE DIFFERENT BREEDS, i thought i was right

ReputationRep:
    Avian Vet FTW!!! I bet I am the only one on here with that aspiration. However I am very aware that over the vetmed course my opinion will change. To be honest, I could see myself doing equine, LA, SA and other areas of exotics too. Though birds will always have a special place in my heart!!!

ReputationRep:
    I bet by the time we graduate everyone will be either small or large animal, no mixed. Will be like that in 20 years certainly, seems to be a trend the professions taking!

ReputationRep:
    I have a question Why are cats/dogs made to be vaccinated yearly? It is usually suggested to have yearly boosters.

I would imagine that memory cells remain in the body for many years, and that constant stimulation of the immune system by vaccinating yearly could be a bad thing, perhaps not enable the body to create a secondary response, as there are already antibodies within the body and this would kind of inactivate the vaccine...

Any thoughts?

There has also been evidence to show that constant rabies shots increase development of tumors.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OllyH)
    You have to options.
    The first, better option is to get the train to East Midlands Parkway station which is only a few minutes away from SB, and then get a taxi from there to SB. If you're already booked a ticket to nottingham, I'm sure it won't cost much more to get a train from Nottingham main station to East Midlands Parkway.

Otherwise, the harder option is to get the train to Nottingham station. Then get a bus or taxi to main campus and then from main campus get the free hopper bus from main campus to SB. You would want to catch the bus from the bus stops on the road from the east entrance to the main Portland building. (http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/about/do...gtonhopper.pdf)
    I'm just gonna say: Oh sweet Lord and I think I love you.

Thanks so much for this. I was thinking about getting the train to east midlands parkway, cause Ive already booked the tickets to the Nottingham one, since its cheaper. So Ill just buy the tickets from there to east midlands p and get a taxi from there. Thank you very much! :yep: :yep: :yep:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 21, 2010
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.