Turn on thread page Beta

2010 applicants....APPLICATIONS, INTERVIEWS, OFFERS [Mark 2] watch

Announcements
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by PowerLewis)
    By "Tones", do you mean an affection version of Tony?
    In which case yes, yes I do get misunderstood all the time :p:

Who were your interviewers at RVC? How do you think it went?
    By "Tones", do you mean an affection version of Tony?
    In which case yes, yes I do get misunderstood all the time :p:

Who were your interviewers at RVC? How do you think it went?
    xD The tone of the conversation! But sure, you can be the misunderstood guy. :cool:

I had Dr Chan, who is a clinician/lecturer but has a pHD, and another small animal clinician and then an external clinician who asked me one equine question.

How I managed to turn the WHOLE interview around to farming, I have no idea. :o: I was glad though! (And I'm a townie so to speak LOL) I think it went okay.. but then most people found the interviewers fairly nice, so i'll have to wait and see. Did you apply to RVC?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by haddie...)
    This is describing the differnce between English and american CS not show and working. I think you may be right with them being different breeds though. And if they're not i think they should be the differences in head shape, coat etc make there appearance very different, not to mention there differnce in temprement. I think some breeders breed "working" cockers though, cockers that aren't actually the true working variety and hence it can be quite difficult to find true working cockers like yours. I've been reading up on them is your's really quiet because it says they are compared to show spaniels and my show cockers are soo noisy!!

Yer don't the welsh call their working cockers 'field spaniels?' Gorgeous little dogs, a friend of mine has one that she keeps with her whilst shes at uni. Very busy busy little thing, shes started her on agility.

ReputationRep:
    Tch, none of this townie stuff :rolleyes:

I applied both this year and last year, but I was rejected after the unknown results of my BMAT this time! Last year I did interview though, and I had some woman and a wonderful Raymond Macharia; always smiling, always making jokes, just the nicest guy. Except he obviously rejected me :p:
    I just checked up his profile on the RVC website, look at him smile

When did they say you can expect to hear, is that the end of March? Crazy to think the whole application year will soon be over!

ReputationRep:

I applied both this year and last year, but I was rejected after the unknown results of my BMAT this time! Last year I did interview though, and I had some woman and a wonderful Raymond Macharia; always smiling, always making jokes, just the nicest guy. Except he obviously rejected me :p:

When did they say you can expect to hear, is that the end of March? Crazy to think the whole application year will soon be over!
    Did you never find them out? I could not have done that :p:

ReputationRep:
    No, once I got rejected I knew they would be bad; everything else about my application had improved, from my grades, personal statement to work experience. It could only be the BMAT, and I decided not to injure my pride by finding out how truly badly I scored.

ReputationRep:
    Ah fair enough, very restrained of you :p:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper

Yeah they upped bmat threshold this year (inside information!). Definately for graduates and im pretty sure for undergrads too. Wah, you had them smiling at you?! Mine were so straight faced. If I watched realllly carefully I sometimes got a tiny little nod. Also i had a SPINNY CHAIR! How mean is that of them?! Took me alot of self restraint to stay still. haha.

... Wow raymond can smile.
    And yer, it is quite scary! but RVC didnt tell any graduate anything until the 31st march... wish it was sooner this year.

ReputationRep:
    OK guys I'm really sorry for bringing this up again, and I was going to PM but I decided against it because I thought more people would be very interested in it.

Basically I have managed to contact a very distant relative of mine. Her name is Louise Petrie Hay, and she published a book called "Gun dogs, their history, breeding and training" (look it up). Louise has been a reconised figure in the kennel club for many years, and has been breeding spaniels for her entire life. She is heavily involved with the breed and helps liason with the kennel club on its matters. She also judges her favourite breeds:the cocker spaniel, the springer spaniel and the gordon setter. The book was published in the eighties and has been reissued twice, and to this day remains afiiliated by the kennel club.

Anyway, like I say I got in contact with her this morning and asked her advice.

She was kind enough to inform me that:

-The cocker spaniel is one breed split into two types; the "show" cocker spaniel and the "working" cocker spaniel.
    -The difference between type and breed is that if you (and this is the example she gave me) had two papered cocker spaniels, one working and one show and you bred from them, the pups you got at the end of it would still be purebred, papered cocker spaniels. This is because the dogs you bred from are the same breed but different types. The papering identifies primarily the breed and my sub-specify the type. So thats the difference between breed and type which, I'm sorry I was unable to properly define, which was a major flaw in my argument.
    -She also explained that the reason the dogs haven't been made two separate breeds is primarily because the resulting puppies from two dogs one working, one show should still comply with the breed regulations and can, as a result be shown as cocker spaniels.
    -The only differences between working and cocker spaniels has mostly arisen from one thing: that people breeding workers aim for dogs well sutied to the job (unsurprisingly) so the dogs are slightly larger, and have a more... a more... well, Louise described it as "Gung-Ho!" attitude, a bit like those seen between working and show or pet beagles. Show breeders however aim primarily to breed dogs which adhere more closely to the breed regulations. The dogs have a slightly more laid back attitude, are slightly (underline slightly!) smaller and apparently some differences can be seen in the coat, is it is "designed" for quality rather than function, a bit like the dogs.

Louise is pretty elderly now, but she has given me the email address of her son, Luke (they like L's in their family). If anybody needs any more advice I don't think they would mind if you emailed him. I will happily give it to you if you pm me, I dont want to plaster their details all over the internet. Or you could always ask me and I'll contact her for you and tell you the answer- which ever is best for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Erulisse)
    OK guys I'm really sorry for bringing this up again, and I was going to PM but I decided against it because I thought more people would be very interested in it.

Basically I have managed to contact a very distant relative of mine. Her name is Louise Petrie Hay, and she published a book called "Gun dogs, their history, breeding and training" (look it up). Louise has been a reconised figure in the kennel club for many years, and has been breeding spaniels for her entire life. She is heavily involved with the breed and helps liason with the kennel club on its matters. She also judges her favourite breeds:the cocker spaniel, the springer spaniel and the gordon setter. The book was published in the eighties and has been reissued twice, and to this day remains afiiliated by the kennel club.

Anyway, like I say I got in contact with her this morning and asked her advice.

She was kind enough to inform me that:

-The cocker spaniel is one breed split into two types; the "show" cocker spaniel and the "working" cocker spaniel.
    -The difference between type and breed is that if you (and this is the example she gave me) had two papered cocker spaniels, one working and one show and you bred from them, the pups you got at the end of it would still be purebred, papered cocker spaniels. This is because the dogs you bred from are the same breed but different types. The papering identifies primarily the breed and my sub-specify the type. So thats the difference between breed and type which, I'm sorry I was unable to properly define, which was a major flaw in my argument.
    -She also explained that the reason the dogs haven't been made two separate breeds is primarily because the resulting puppies from two dogs one working, one show should still comply with the breed regulations and can, as a result be shown as cocker spaniels.
    -The only differences between working and cocker spaniels has mostly arisen from one thing: that people breeding workers aim for dogs well sutied to the job (unsurprisingly) so the dogs are slightly larger, and have a more... a more... well, Louise described it as "Gung-Ho!" attitude, a bit like those seen between working and show or pet beagles. Show breeders however aim primarily to breed dogs which adhere more closely to the breed regulations. The dogs have a slightly more laid back attitude, are slightly (underline slightly!) smaller and apparently some differences can be seen in the coat, is it is "designed" for quality rather than function, a bit like the dogs.

Louise is pretty elderly now, but she has given me the email address of her son, Luke (they like L's in their family). If anybody needs any more advice I don't think they would mind if you emailed him. I will happily give it to you if you pm me, I dont want to plaster their details all over the internet. Or you could always ask me and I'll contact her for you and tell you the answer- which ever is best for you.
    Thank you! That has really cleared up the breed/type issue, in my head certainly!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Talon19921992)
    Thank you! That has really cleared up the breed/type issue, in my head certainly!

Anytime

Did you get my rep? Just to prove it wasn't me who negged rachyyy? And because I agreed with what you were saying... I'm not THAT desperate to win an argument lol

ReputationRep:
    Raymond is a legend! :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moonlight*)
    I think it depends what type of vaccination it is e.g live or killed. For example distemper is a live vaccine and according to the vets I was at immunity last 3 years, however leptospirosis is a killed vaccine and immunity lasts only 1 year, therefore dogs have to have yearly boosters. Apparently there was a recent case where a dog died from leptospirosis within a few months of its vaccine expiring.
    Just seen this!
    They have brought in an optional titre test which you can ask your vet to do before having your animal vaccinated.
    Because different animals have differing immunity levels following the same vaccines, this test can tell the vet whether a booster vaccination if necessary for that year or can be performed at a later date.
    The titre tests are basically blood tests to test the concentration of the disease antigens currently present and so represent an immunity level to this disease.
    The titre tests can prevent the need for costly annual boosters. They obviously cost money to run but for a a big veterinary clinic with in-house testing facilities, this cost should not be huge!

Not sure how freely they do these tests, I'm pretty sure they don't offer them out willy nilly!
    Thought it was quite interesting as I didn't know about them til a couple of weeks ago, might ask the vet next time my dog needs boosters

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Nico*)
    Just seen this!
    They have brought in an optional titre test which you can ask your vet to do before having your animal vaccinated.
    Because different animals have differing immunity levels following the same vaccines, this test can tell the vet whether a booster vaccination if necessary for that year or can be performed at a later date.
    The titre tests are basically blood tests to test the concentration of the disease antigens currently present and so represent an immunity level to this disease.
    The titre tests can prevent the need for costly annual boosters. They obviously cost money to run but for a a big veterinary clinic with in-house testing facilities, this cost should not be huge!

Not sure how freely they do these tests, I'm pretty sure they don't offer them out willy nilly!
    Thought it was quite interesting as I didn't know about them til a couple of weeks ago, might ask the vet next time my dog needs boosters
    That is interesting, I'm going to have to find out more about that now! :p: Also with the tail docking debate the council of docked breeds has a good website. http://www.cdb.org/ They are obviously for tail docking so are biased but there are some statistics and pictures of tail damage on there and a report from a German professor about pain felt by puppies which is worth a read

ReputationRep:
    That is interesting, I'm going to have to find out more about that now! :p: Also with the tail docking debate the council of docked breeds has a good website. http://www.cdb.org/ They are obviously for tail docking so are biased but there are some statistics and pictures of tail damage on there and a report from a German professor about pain felt by puppies which is worth a read
    I looked at the website yesterday after reading about tail docking on here. It just made me angry.
    They are pro tail docking for basically every breed but appear to have no real plausible reason for it in the case of domestic dogs.

What is strange, is that I have never seen a labrador with its tail docked? Has anyone else just out of interest?
    Seems weird because they are trekking through hedges and such when out on shoots, and they have a massive tail which would support the argument for injuring themselves/others with it.

My labrador would look very silly with a docked tail! And then how would you know if it was really happy? Nothing to wag!!!

ReputationRep:
    Quick question, could it be possible that some one just passing through this thread could have neg repped Rachy when they read her comment / views on tail docking? It would be very petty for one of the vetmed applicants to have done it b/c we're supposed to be faily open to other people's views about this sort of thing b/c we're likely to meet so many people in our profession that have these different views. Just wondering if that could have been the case...

PS: I think, if unis were to check this site they'd accept us all b/c we post so much and show a lot of motivation and commitment in discussing these issues and b/c we generally support each other in the application process, especially with finding w/e placements, so we're good ppl on top of that!

ReputationRep:
    Do we know to which extent tail docking affects balance? We were learning in biomechanics about the tail acting as the main "cantilever" for a dog (in the horse the head/neck) so I was just wondering if anyone knew how it affected dogs normally born with tails to have them docked.
    Or you can ignore my gibberish. Like a few people on here, I don't have much experience with things like tail docking so my opinion is probably not very well backed up (or significant lol).

But yay, last oral exam today! They're actually more like a funny chat than an exam (especially anatomy orals, which are easily to humiliate yourself in haha).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LDVet)
    Do we know to which extent tail docking affects balance? We were learning in biomechanics about the tail acting as the main "cantilever" for a dog (in the horse the head/neck) so I was just wondering if anyone knew how it affected dogs normally born with tails to have them docked.
    Or you can ignore my gibberish. Like a few people on here, I don't have much experience with things like tail docking so my opinion is probably not very well backed up (or significant lol).

But yay, last oral exam today! They're actually more like a funny chat than an exam (especially anatomy orals, which are easily to humiliate yourself in haha).
    I think that the theory is the dog requires a "spread stance for static balance" but I'm not sure whether or not that should includes dynamic balance.

I know those in favour of docking, particularly CBD, have the absurd response that "never has a dog been seen to fall over because of a docked tail, which makes the argument obsolete and therefore we can dock". It's not as silly as that, though, I think the dog does compensate for the missing section or entirety of the tail and is just less agile; it shouldn't attempt to move in a way that it cannot retain balance.

Edit:
    (Original post by Caraghk123)
    Yeah they upped bmat threshold this year (inside information!). definitely for graduates and im pretty sure for undergrads too. Wah, you had them smiling at you?! Mine were so straight faced. If I watched realllly carefully I sometimes got a tiny little nod. Also i had a SPINNY CHAIR! How mean is that of them?! Took me alot of self restraint to stay still. haha.

... Wow raymond can smile.
    And yer, it is quite scary! but RVC didnt tell any graduate anything until the 31st march... wish it was sooner this year.
    Ahhh, well in the unlikely event I scored exactly the same as last year, it still wasn't good enough
    Yeah, he was really friendly with me and smile the whole way through; perhaps he felt sorry for how useless I was at the interview :o:
    The woman with him, however, was stern and only smiled when I left. Persoanlly, I suspect she poisoned Raymond against me :p:

(Original post by blahhh)
    Raymond is a legend! :p:
    Yeah...I'd agree with that! Is he a good lecturer? A friend of mine in her second year says he's really nice!

ReputationRep:
    My dog falls over even with a tail, he is a bit of an idiot though..

ReputationRep:
    This wesbite is blocked at my school. I can't get access to it, which is frankly ridiculous because I am trying to look it up for a bit of insight into their ideas, and I can't!

ReputationRep:
    i appear to have missed quite a lot. just skimming through it now, may take a while.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.