Turn on thread page Beta
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Northern)
    Ah RVC hate again what fun, i really liked my rvc interview and the rvc in general for those still waiting for interviews. But i also love Glas
    I don't even bother getting involved on the debates here anymore far too much hastle.
    No RVC hate guys! I've been there for three years already and I don't want to leave. :woo:
    Plus the new equine block and TaRC building are going to be amazing, and rotation groups in fourth and fifth year are smaller at the RVC than any other vet school (not sure about notts!)
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Helper
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    PS Helper
    PS Reviewer
    Hello . My work sucks ><.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Why does it suck? :P I've had a lazy day today. meeting with supervisor who says that basically I have nothing to do until he gets the analysis script sorted which may take 1-2 weeks...

So i'm going to actually have to start WRITING my dissertation next week, or atleast reading around it. Argh!
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Helper
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    PS Helper
    PS Reviewer
    Because they put me on work today from 4, when my contract says I can't start till 4:30, and I told them last week I couldn't do it due to work experience which I didn't finish till 5 and started at 8, and they just rang me saying ' why aren't you in ' and I've requested time off and they haven't even acknowledged it yet.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Oh. That's a bummer. Just explain to them next time you are in. :s

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moonlight*)
    I think thats why they stopped showing crufts on TV because so many people were against showing pedigree dogs.
    But the shows still occur right? Also-do the winners of the specified rounds just get acknowledgement or is there also money involved?

Why is crufts slogan 'celebrating happy, healthy dogs' ?:o:
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Helper
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    PS Helper
    PS Reviewer
    Crufts isn't just about the showing. Its about promoting the different breeds, and people who are knowledgeable about them. Theres also a lot more to it such as obedience, flyball and agility, as well as the good citizens which includes many cross-breed dogs, and other displays, all promoting good ownership. So whilst crufts may promote breeds with health problems, consider there is a lot more to it than the showing side.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Yer it's more the kennel club than crufts that are promoting the unhealthy pedigree dogs. But it is changing now.. albeit very slowly! But I think it's better taking it slowly and having the kennel club on board than making a brash new law about breeding of pedigree dogs/KC registered dogs etc that will alienate the kennel club and its members from the public.

ReputationRep:
    I love watching flyball; the dogs enjoy it so much!
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Helper
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    PS Helper
    PS Reviewer
    Yes they do . My dog does flyball .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skatealexia)
    Crufts isn't just about the showing. Its about promoting the different breeds, and people who are knowledgeable about them. Theres also a lot more to it such as obedience, flyball and agility, as well as the good citizens which includes many cross-breed dogs, and other displays, all promoting good ownership. So whilst crufts may promote breeds with health problems, consider there is a lot more to it than the showing side.
    Yes I'm aware of that. But it is the Kennel club that hosts crufts, and it is quite clear to see that the showing it at the heart of it.
    At least some changes are being made:

'Due to the strong public response, the Kennel Club started rolling out new health plans. Breed standards for every breed went under review and show judges would be required to choose only healthy dogs. It has also requested regulatory powers from the Government, which would allow the club to take actions against breeders who do not comply with health standards.'
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Yer. It's alot better letting the KC on board and working WITH them to change, then banning crufts and other dog shows and making them angry. :P And plus, they really do care about canine welfare, they've just become a bit too immersed in the 'old ways and traditions of breed standard' etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ViolinGirl)
    Yes I'm aware of that. But it is the Kennel club that hosts crufts, and it is quite clear to see that the showing it at the heart of it.
    At least some changes are being made:

'Due to the strong public response, the Kennel Club started rolling out new health plans. Breed standards for every breed went under review and show judges would be required to choose only healthy dogs. It has also requested regulatory powers from the Government, which would allow the club to take actions against breeders who do not comply with health standards.'
    The problem with this statement is that (as far as my understanding goes, which might be flawed) a lot of the problems caused by selective breeding for shows caused health problems which weren't apparent at the time of showing, i.e. the neurological problems like syringomyelia in cavalier King Charles Spaniels, heart problems in Boxers etc. I might be wrong, but surely that is the kind of problem that wouldn't necessarily be obvious at the young age most of these dogs are when competing?

ReputationRep:
    grrrrrrrrrr
    my lambing that im ment to start in about 10 days just cancelled on me and said they no longer required my help!!!
    i need a lambing placement!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Ahhh, lambing was fantastic today. Delivered a set of triplets that were ridiculously tangled up and so tiny They all seem to be doing really well though, I hope they make it through the night. Might of got myself a beef placement in the summer as well

I wish I'd be around for all this debating, but I don't want to fire up again. I can appreciate both sides of the story, but I've not got the energy to fight my corner :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oaktrees)
    The problem with this statement is that (as far as my understanding goes, which might be flawed) a lot of the problems caused by selective breeding for shows caused health problems which weren't apparent at the time of showing, i.e. the neurological problems like syringomyelia in cavalier King Charles Spaniels, heart problems in Boxers etc. I might be wrong, but surely that is the kind of problem that wouldn't necessarily be obvious at the young age most of these dogs are when competing?
    Its not the fact on whether or not they are noticable at the time of showing, but that the entire showing process is what drives people to create the 'perfect' dogs that mimick the breed specifications set out by the Kennel club. They are too caught up in tradition, but due to that, the interbreeding going on with the dogs is leading these dogs to their death, creating a gene pool that is so small and is leading to a greater proportion of the breed becoming affected with the diseases. Some of the genetic problems are horrific :eek:

ReputationRep:
    We had 60 lambs this morning, got called out of bed, farmer phoned sayig its fuk3n crazy!! haha
    We filled all of our pens and will have to build some more for tonight, coz they's coming out like bullets! But we have around 5 ewes who ahve nor droped their milk so I'm bottle feeding 10 atm, them we have another 10 on the automatic milk bucket...No time for interview prep

I don't know much about KC and cruffts and stuff, i am not into 'dog breeds' as such, I only take notice in working dogs, hunterways and collies are the best dogs ever!!!
    But yes viiolin girl some problems are so horrific, that I acctually don't see a point in that breed being! I'd rather see the breed disapear tahn seeing the dogs suffer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by starfall)
    grrrrrrrrrr
    my lambing that im ment to start in about 10 days just cancelled on me and said they no longer required my help!!!
    i need a lambing placement!!!!
    theres a friend of the farmer I'm with looking for staff, think they have 3000 ewes lambing in march..you'll get paid+accom, they'll have lads of staff there as well, so will not be taht lonely... want me to get their phone number for you?

ReputationRep:
    bit random but jus wanna say that i'm so nervous bout my RVC interview coming up on the 3rd of March.. i really REAlly hope i preform on the day!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr. 2 be)
    bit random but jus wanna say that i'm so nervous bout my RVC interview coming up on the 3rd of March.. i really REAlly hope i preform on the day!
    don't be nervous - try not to cram loads of information into your head the night before (get a good nights sleep) and especially not on the day! the more relaxed you are, the better you will come across at interview and always think before answering a question

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 21, 2010

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.