Turn on thread page Beta
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Dr. 2 be)
    I wouldn't hold your breath.. the campus is not as impressive as any of the others (in my opinion) but of course the good thing about Bristol is the reputation.. its consistently ranked in the top 10 UK unis.

Initially i really had my heart set on Cambridge (i'm a grad and applied to Wolfson) but as soon as i took my b-mat i knew i didnt do well enough- i got 4.8, 4.7 and 9 i knw its not awful but nowhere near good enough.. and i was extremely shaky in the interview..

But i have since heard mixed things about cambridge. on the one hand it is supposed to be top for academia (and prestige //status!!) but clinically its not ranked as highly amongst employers.. apparently vet graduates are not as practically minded ( have u seen the veterinary faculty?).. so just depends on you- having said that i knw i would DEFINITELY chose cambridge if i had an offer.. its one of those things- u cnt reject Cambridge lol its the place that will push you the most academically and that something that would have appealed to me..plus they have the the most money out of all the unis so you can rest assured the facilities will be top notch.. You should take it as a HUGE compliment that you got in.. its a big achievement!

r u a grad?

Hmmm, I was stupid not to apply for Cambridge, I see that now. I didn't realise the fees were so cheap for graduates, and thought I'd stand no chance simply because its cambridge. But saying that, my BMAT was pretty high (6.7,5.1,10.5) and my uni grades are mainly 2:1's, so maybe it could have happened.

However, If i had by some miracle got offered both cambridge and RVC, I'd pick RVC as it is alot more practical minded than cambridge, and alot more 'relaxed'. Cambridge has prestige, but RVC is more fun, and I reckon it'll make a more practical vet! (also alot of clinicians I've talked to didn't appreciate cambridge graduates as much as graduates of other unis for some reason)
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by sami4132)
    If I don't get a vetmed offer, I'm deffinately taking my imperial offer for biomed, i need to get out of my house! I'm going to be so heartbroken to leave my kitties, but I'm so ready to be at uni!!
    Hmm.. do think very carefully though. If you are willing to give up the dream of vetmed, go for it! But if you stil want to go for it, then why spend 3 years doing something else, and severly limit your chances of a place because there are only 3 affordable ones that youcan applyto and competition is double as high for graduates for these cheap unis.

Saying that, alot of my friend in the vetsci course came in thinking they wanted to reapply for vetmed when they were in third year, and our degree opened peoples eyes to the many other options out there, and atleast 15 people on our course decided to go onto different further study. (masters, phd, teaching etc)

ReputationRep:
    Check your junk e-mail.. i didnt get a call.. but happpened to find the e-mail in my junk folder!
    OMGGGG!!!!!!!! its really in my junk folder!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i got it since saturdayyyyyyyyy!!!! omgomgomgggg!! i was really worried for the past week! =( tht was sooo soooo stupid!! im so stupid!!!! but im sooooooooo happyyyyyyy hehe =)

Dr Lynda Moore also PS that she likes my email address too! its vet_doggy :p:

and thank you everyone! especially Dr. 2 be!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Hahahaa. Oh dear. xD Well congratulations again on the offer!

ReputationRep:
    Guys I have a question: has anybody ever had a guinea pig with diabetes?

I went to the vets with mine today and she has cataract in both of her eyes and a high glucose sugar in her urine. The vet thinks it might be caused by diabetes so they're gonna run some more tests next week, but just in case I wanted to know whether diabetes is treated with insuline shots in guinea pigs? I know it is in cats and dogs, but not so sure about guinea pigs.

The cataract appeared quite rapidly and I've read that it's one of the symptoms of diabetes (when it appears so rapidly). Especially that she is only a year old, so shouldn't really have the cataract.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Caraghk123)
    Hmmm, I was stupid not to apply for Cambridge, I see that now. I didn't realise the fees were so cheap for graduates, and thought I'd stand no chance simply because its cambridge. But saying that, my BMAT was pretty high (6.7,5.1,10.5) and my uni grades are mainly 2:1's, so maybe it could have happened.

However, If i had by some miracle got offered both cambridge and RVC, I'd pick RVC as it is alot more practical minded than cambridge, and alot more 'relaxed'. Cambridge has prestige, but RVC is more fun, and I reckon it'll make a more practical vet! (also alot of clinicians I've talked to didn't appreciate cambridge graduates as much as graduates of other unis for some reason)
    well done with that B-mat score- its amazing! I wonder how much the RVC take b-mat into account after interview stage.. Wat did u get at GCSE and A-level if u dnt mind me asking? did u apply to do vet med when u left school? x
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    well done with that B-mat score- its amazing! I wonder how much the RVC take b-mat into account after interview stage.. Wat did u get at GCSE and A-level if u dnt mind me asking? did u apply to do vet med when u left school? x
    I was in scotland for my schooling.
    I got A,A,A,A,B intermediate twos (which are higher than GCSE's but a bit under AS levels) and 1,1,1 for the standard grades I took (which are about the same level as GCSE's i think)
    And then A,A,B,C,C for my Highers, and A,B,B for my advanced highers which are slightly higher than A levels. Lol.

But I was a bit immature leaving school, I hadn't got the work experience and wasnt trying hard enough. I didnt apply as a school leaver and it was only coming into the biovet course I realised how much i actually wanted it and got my act together! The RVC interview was my first vetmed interview ever, hah. Apparently the RVC don't take bmat, or the rest of your application into consideration after interview unless they have two prospective students that did exactly the same etc at interview and they are having a hard time choosing. That's what we got told..
    Yer I was shocked at my BMAT score, i actually didnt look for two days as I was so sure it went badly! You can never tell how you did with bmat.. :woo:

How about you, did you apply as a school leaver?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the birthday wishes, guys. I'd just gotten in from a party and obviously thought it was a good idea to announce it

Oaktrees, I was out last night - so that was kind of a bit of a celebration. But today I've been working (showing people around Liverpool Accomm) and then tonight is our Vet Winter Ball, which'll be awesome. Then tomorrow I have a friend coming to visit for it and we're going to go watch the Chinese New Year parade and celebrations in China Town (in Liverpool). Thennnn I will probably go for a night out/meal with my housemates and coursemates :tongue:
    I am sooooo tired right now though. Last night was pretty hectic!

ReputationRep:
    Phew, handed in my last piece of coursework for Module 1 of our animal body course.
    What a relief, I'm off home now. Enjoy your weekend everybody!

(Lol got a email-row though for handing it into the wrong place, eep!).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ViolinGirl)
    I have my lunch at like 3 :o:
    So do I. That was my 1st lunch, then I had 2nd lunch at like 3.30pm :p: I get hungry very easily.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emilyyy)
    Thanks for the birthday wishes, guys. I'd just gotten in from a party and obviously thought it was a good idea to announce it

Oaktrees, I was out last night - so that was kind of a bit of a celebration. But today I've been working (showing people around Liverpool Accomm) and then tonight is our Vet Winter Ball, which'll be awesome. Then tomorrow I have a friend coming to visit for it and we're going to go watch the Chinese New Year parade and celebrations in China Town (in Liverpool). Thennnn I will probably go for a night out/meal with my housemates and coursemates :tongue:
    I am sooooo tired right now though. Last night was pretty hectic!
    My social life at the moment is zero!! It’s aufull, going out to Cardiff after my Bristol interview, first time out since over a month!! I am jelous of this post :o: hehe
    Happy Biirthday
    (Original post by sami4132)
    If I don't get a vetmed offer, I'm deffinately taking my imperial offer for biomed, i need to get out of my house! I'm going to be so heartbroken to leave my kitties, but I'm so ready to be at uni!!
    Yeah me too, I’ve got an unconditional to do biovets at Glasgow, I just want to go to uni, and if I don’t get in this year, I obv need to work on my interview style, and that will not happen with another gap year. If I still want to do vet med, I might go to Slovakia though £7000 a year, and cheaper to live there when it comes to accom and food.
    (Original post by .captainsarah)
    But you've had interviews and you'll get a place :yep:
    That's interesting about the cows, I didn't know that - presumed it would've been younger (like pre 2001 cows or something). Anything in particular you want to know about horses? Horse and hound has some fairly basic but useful stuff both in the forum and the archives

Happy birthday Emilyy!
    I had 2 interviews last year as well… :/
    Hmmmm could you name a few things that I should look into? And vaccinations, I know you said earlier, but I kind of missed it all :/ I have a horse, a French trotter, she was bottle fed, her mum died while giving birth, but she’s 24 I think so much older than me :p: but since she’s not in contact with many other horses just my mates and my uncles, we only worm her. She’s also not stable kept, so yeah I don’t have to do much to look after her just feed her 

ReputationRep:
    What are the major ethical issues to know about? :cool:

ReputationRep:
    Started lambing today, was quite slow, spent most of the time building lambing pens, to be fair though for my sheep farm of 3700 lambing ewes lambing only officially starts today but I wanted to get back into the swing of things (plus I drove, on me own!)

This talk of 30 min interviews scares me, my RVC interview barely lasted more than ten minutes!!! How bad is that? (help please)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Talon19921992)
    Started lambing today, was quite slow, spent most of the time building lambing pens, to be fair though for my sheep farm of 3700 lambing ewes lambing only officially starts today but I wanted to get back into the swing of things (plus I drove, on me own!)

This talk of 30 min interviews scares me, my RVC interview barely lasted more than ten minutes!!! How bad is that? (help please)
    How long you therefore? and what houers are you doing? how many staff? and what breed sheep?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x_dwin_ffeimys_x)
    How long you therefore? and what houers are you doing? how many staff? and what breed sheep?
    By the way, this is w/e, not paid work! (just in case you hadn't realised! )

As many days/nights as I can get throughout the lambing season, while also in full-time education.

7:30AM till 5:00PM (sometimes later, and I do intend to do some nights too)

Don't know how many staff, including the arable side a fair few!

Mule (swaledale X blue-face Leicester) - but you probs knew that! :p:

Edit: They do all 3700 in 5-6 groups spread across two farms (which I can now drive between!!!)
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper

Lol don't worry. Graduate interviews last 20-30 minutes whereas undergrad ones last 10-20 minutes. :p:

Whooo, will be going lambing for the THIRD easter this year, starting 19th March. I better get payed. :woo: I'm going with a friend though, which is mainly why i was cajoled into going on a non payed placement.

ReputationRep:
    By the way, this is w/e, not paid work! (just in case you hadn't realised! )

As many days/nights as I can get throughout the lambing season, while also in full-time education.

7:30AM till 5:00PM (sometimes later, and I do intend to do some nights too)

Don't know how many staff, including the arable side a fair few!

Mule (swaledale X blue-face Leicester) - but you probs knew that! :p:

Edit: They do all 3700 in 5-6 groups spread across two farms (which I can now drive between!!!)
    you not getting paid :eek: if ud have asked im sure he wouldnt have minded..but suppose your not ona gap year trying to make money :p:

na there are many different typs of mules, here they have some Blue faceX clun forest, and some black face and welsh mules...! Does mule actaully mean a cross between 2 breed?? could be I suppose! have you ever come across a clun forest? I hate them...haha they look like camels and are wild as welsh sheep but strong as well, i prefer pure bred sulfolks and texels any day
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Helper
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    PS Helper
    PS Reviewer
    Texels are gorgeous .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x_dwin_ffeimys_x)
    you not getting paid :eek: if ud have asked im sure he wouldnt have minded..but suppose your not ona gap year trying to make money :p:

na there are many different typs of mules, here they have some Blue faceX clun forest, and some black face and welsh mules...! Does mule actaully mean a cross between 2 breed?? could be I suppose! have you ever come across a clun forest? I hate them...haha they look like camels and are wild as welsh sheep but strong as well, i prefer pure bred sulfolks and texels any day
    No not a clun forest... I really like mules, my farm used to have rouge crosses...for one season...swiftly got rid of... :p:

To be honest I haven't really worked with many different breeds of sheep, mainly mules, even one of the other farms I have been to had mules... don't ya jus' luv 'em!!!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    No not a clun forest... I really like mules, my farm used to have rouge crosses...for one season...swiftly got rid of... :p:

To be honest I haven't really worked with many different breeds of sheep, mainly mules, even one of the other farms I have been to had mules... don't ya jus' luv 'em!!!
    I like cheviats best. :P They are so cute and white and fluffy.. and the lambs are stereotypical white fluffy lambs! But mules are good too.. easy to handle and nice mothers.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Keele University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  2. University of Melbourne
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  3. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.