Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Caraghk123)
    I like cheviats best. :P They are so cute and white and fluffy.. and the lambs are stereotypical white fluffy lambs! But mules are good too.. easy to handle and nice mothers.
    ..still pretty dense though... but to be fair , they are sheep soooo... :p: they can't help it! :p:

ReputationRep:
    Was looking up beef farming...

What are suckler beef herds? And what are the different finishing systems in rearing (feeding systems)?

ReputationRep:
    can someone answer me this - does it still say on the bristol website that they will look at BMAT results if you give them? i remember it said that years ago but couldnt be bothered to look if it was still there, and i just remembered that i actually gave them my BMAT results.

ReputationRep:
    This made me feel sick

Chickens...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annaconda)
    can someone answer me this - does it still say on the bristol website that they will look at BMAT results if you give them? i remember it said that years ago but couldnt be bothered to look if it was still there, and i just remembered that i actually gave them my BMAT results.
    Bristol were one of the original Universities which supported the BMAT and semi-pioneered its introduction. They then pulled out of using the BMAT as a selection procedure a few years ago (can't exactly reemember when, but it was quite recent). So this could be what you were referring to? Perhaps the year after they pulled out they were still willing to look at results if you had them? As far as I am aware it is against the Data Protection Act for them to get the results now though, because they haven't declared to us that they want to use them.

If I am wrong I am sorry! It could be another Uni entirely that I was thinking about!

Also, I still have the duvet and pillow covers with loads of different made up sheep breeds on it, it's on my bed at school. It is stuff like 'Ewe-no-you', and '32MB-RAM' on it, I can't really remember the others but I thought it was really funny when I was little! Tbh I do still find it really funny...I am easily amused :o:

I don't know a vast amount about sheep breeds and sheep farming, only stuff I have picked up over the years. I really think I should go over it, even though my work ex is after my interview. Also Peter, how on earth are you going lambing whilst you are at school?? I understand weekends, but when will you do all your schoolwork/what time do you finish school to be able to go in the evenings?! I have no idea how that would work, I don't finish school until 6.30pm! Lessons finish at 4.30pm so with special permission I am allowed to leave after that sometimes for work ex, but only if I don't have a club to go to. How are you going to do it?? I am very impressed.

Edit:
    (Original post by ViolinGirl)
    This made me feel sick

Chickens...
    I knew it was bad, but not that bad. I have seen battery farmed egg-laying hens, which although I don't agree with, I was pleasantly surprised by the conditions. I'm not saying they were great, but the chickens were in relatively big cages with plenty of room, the muck fell through to a grate, they had controlled day light hours and plenty of food and water at all times. That video was horrific. I am so glad we eat free range chicken. I just had chicken for dinner as well...

ReputationRep:
    This made me feel sick

Chickens...
    I did a weeks work experience at one of these, massive set-up, 250,000 birds on the one site. To be honest, although it isn't particually nice, I wasn't overly moved by it all. I mean the chickens don't know any better do they since thats all they've known. Every morning and night you have to go round picking up the dead ones and cull the ones which have bad legs/might not make it. Normally about 20 or so per day that get crushed in each shed, (50,000 per shed).
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Blergh the smell of intensive poultry farming is disgusting though. Couldn't get it off my clothes all day when I had a peek in one of the sheds. And it did make me want to go freerange. I wish the freerange chickens weren't almost double the price of conventional. Being a student, its pretty hard to spend that much extra money on food.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tommygunsvet)
    250,000 birds on the one site. To be honest, although it isn't particually nice, I wasn't overly moved by it all. I mean the chickens don't know any better do they since thats all they've known.
    But that doesn't justify it at all. Whether or not they know that their life could be sweeter doesn't excuse the fact they're kept in conditions where their life is at risk due to a lack of space.
    You could keep a child in a closet (I'm thinking Harry Potter here...), and as long as that child doesn't know there's a world outside the closet, he could be there all his life considering it normal. Obviously, that would never be allowed, it's abuse.

It's absolutely appalling and I don't understand how it can be legal when 20 or so die every day, per shed. Yes, that may be a very small ratio out of the total number in the shed, but even if 1 was dying every day, that would suggest something is wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tommygunsvet)
    I did a weeks work experience at one of these, massive set-up, 250,000 birds on the one site. To be honest, although it isn't particually nice, I wasn't overly moved by it all. I mean the chickens don't know any better do they since thats all they've known. Every morning and night you have to go round picking up the dead ones and cull the ones which have bad legs/might not make it. Normally about 20 or so per day that get crushed in each shed, (50,000 per shed).
    Its horrific :puke: I don't think I would be able to cope doing work experience somewhere like that.

ReputationRep:
    they have 10,000 laying barn hens here on the farm I'm at, I havn't been in the shed yet, coz you have to shower to get in and stuff coz bio security is so high since they were imported from america as chiks, and they are some special breed so very expensive.
    Unfortunately the advantages of keeping chikens in door is bigger than keeping them as free range. Free range are more prawn to diseases, and a lot more acctauly dies, Battery hens conditions have improved, they used to keep around 15 hens in a cage but now only 7, (cage the size of a single bed)

We used to get battery hens for free, it is sad seeing them with no feathers, and when we let them out theyd run around in circles, which at the time I found funny coz I was only little, but it's nice to be able to save some and give them a better life!

About sheep breeds, I'm so sad I could acctually name about 20 off of my head so if I walked into a shed I could most likely guess what breed aan ewe is :o:
    owww we have a cheviot ram, we cross him with some of the welsh mountain, since the ewe lams sell good.
    and I have my own little heard of texels, which i've left my chavy brother in charge of!

ReputationRep:
    Was looking up beef farming...

What are suckler beef herds? And what are the different finishing systems in rearing (feeding systems)?
    suckler beef herds is what I explained to you our farm was.
    different finishing systems..hmm maby thats store and fat.
    so yeah suckler beef heard sell their calves as store calves which will go on to another farm to get fatten up.
    Fat calves are the ones who are ready to be slaughterd and will be sold on to the abbattoir. That would be my guess.
    Don't over complicate stuff though, I don't think they''ll ask you, but you could mention it!

not sure if 'fat calves' is the right term, but it's the translation from welsh :p: there must be a more technical name

ReputationRep:
    Helloooo!!! (again!!) Thanks DFand Rach for filling me in! Congratulations to all those with offers Especially well done to those who have managed to overcome the terrifying Liv interview sytem and succeed Well done Rach!! I'm still lambing full time, although 'late start' today (late being 9 rather than 8.15), I am sooo tired!!! But got another lambing job to go onto pobably after this, so all goo times!!! I got an email from a vet in New Zealand last night, he's also a farmer and he offered me 'work' (i don't know if he meant like work exp or actual work) on his farm while i'm there and i can go out and see practise with him too Hope everyone's well, what's been occurring over the last few days??? Speak to you all soon :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oaktrees)
    I don't know a vast amount about sheep breeds and sheep farming, only stuff I have picked up over the years. I really think I should go over it, even though my work ex is after my interview. Also Peter, how on earth are you going lambing whilst you are at school?? I understand weekends, but when will you do all your schoolwork/what time do you finish school to be able to go in the evenings?! I have no idea how that would work, I don't finish school until 6.30pm! Lessons finish at 4.30pm so with special permission I am allowed to leave after that sometimes for work ex, but only if I don't have a club to go to. How are you going to do it?? I am very impressed.
    Well it worked out ok last year... . To be honest it is mostly weekends, but it does help that my school day it 8:35AM until 3:40PM, I generally go to the vets after school one evening per week, ride one evening a week, climb one evening a week...

meh... its difficult but I love lambing! :p: sooo... (and its easier now I can drive, last year was more difficult)

Edit: I forgot, I normally try to go to the falconry centre every fortnight but exams... then interviews... now lambing... has stopped me going for the moment... I'll be back soon though!

ReputationRep:
    I want a lambing job.

ReputationRep:
    OK so i may be the only person on here who is in this situation but is anyone on here STILL waiting to hear from liverpool and bristol!!?

Also has anyone who was on hold for bristol without interview been asked for interview yet?

I am starting to think it may have to be an enforced gap year for me ... :eek:
    On that note has anyone got any good ideas for a gap year ... preferably payed and obviously animal related! the only thing i can seem to find that is payed is work in australia on cattle ranches .... which would be amazing but any other ideas would be really appreciated!!

THANKS GUYS and congratulations to everyone with offers/interviews

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Goodluckxx)
    OK so i may be the only person on here who is in this situation but is anyone on here STILL waiting to hear from liverpool and bristol!!?

Also has anyone who was on hold for bristol without interview been asked for interview yet?

I am starting to think it may have to be an enforced gap year for me ... :eek:
    On that note has anyone got any good ideas for a gap year ... preferably payed and obviously animal related! the only thing i can seem to find that is payed is work in australia on cattle ranches .... which would be amazing but any other ideas would be really appreciated!!

THANKS GUYS and congratulations to everyone with offers/interviews
    I don't think they've given out the on hold date from what I understand. There's one more date to be given out, I think (the 17th March) and that's for on-holders, from what I've gathered. There's still quite a few more dates to be given out from Liverpool too. Liverpool interview LOADS of people. Where else did you apply and have you heard from there?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x_dwin_ffeimys_x)
    I had 2 interviews last year as well… :/
    Hmmmm could you name a few things that I should look into? And vaccinations, I know you said earlier, but I kind of missed it all :/ I have a horse, a French trotter, she was bottle fed, her mum died while giving birth, but she’s 24 I think so much older than me :p: but since she’s not in contact with many other horses just my mates and my uncles, we only worm her. She’s also not stable kept, so yeah I don’t have to do much to look after her just feed her 
    Most horses are vaccinated against Tetanus and Influenza, under BE/PC/RC rules you have to have an influenza booster every year, but if competing FEI/international the flu jab must have been within 6 months (and 21 days if you're going to precise :p:) of the competition, so the norm for international horses is a twice-yearly flu jab. My horse gets jabbed for tetanus every other year and flu every year, but he needs the flu restarting because it wasn't recorded one year...
    There's also a strangles vaccine, that doesn't seem to be that effective (apparently, have no data for this!) and isn't needed for competing. It's injected into the lip and needs to be done every three months. Also might be worth looking into the sweet itch vaccine but I think this is still only being trialled?
    I haven't had an interview so I don't know what they'll be likely to ask you about but common causes of lameness might be useful to know about? So fractures, hoof abcesses, ligament and tendon damage, arthritis, laminitis etc.
    There were also a few cases of Swamp fever/equine infectious anaemia in january, but I haven't heard anything about that recently so it might have stopped spreading (they slaughtered the horses with it and the yard is in quarantine)

Hope that helps, but I've probably forgotten stuff because I'm slightly hungover :o:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by steph_v)
    I don't think they've given out the on hold date from what I understand. There's one more date to be given out, I think (the 17th March) and that's for on-holders, from what I've gathered. There's still quite a few more dates to be given out from Liverpool too. Liverpool interview LOADS of people. Where else did you apply and have you heard from there?
    Oh thank you so much haha you have calmed me down a bit! i was just worried they had both given out all of their interview dates!
    I also applied to Notts and RVC but got rejected by both
    Well done on your interviews! how did they go? Whats your first choice then? xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Goodluckxx)
    Oh thank you so much haha you have calmed me down a bit! i was just worried they had both given out all of their interview dates!
    I also applied to Notts and RVC but got rejected by both
    Well done on your interviews! how did they go? Whats your first choice then? xx

Um, I originally thought Bristol was okay, but I really ballsed up on a question and never really got it back after that. Liverpool wasn't fantastic. It was pretty fun, but I messed up on more than one station and only 1 or 2 went really well. They've given out offers to people who had the same date as me, so I'm pretty much waiting on a rejection from there. RVC was just horrific, it was terrible from start to finish :p:

So yes, not very good. I'm trying to be positive, but I'd rather not get my hopes up and the be really disappointed. The idea of a gap year is starting to appeal. It's just really annoying that you have to be in the country for the admissions process, and writing another personal statement really, really does not sound like fun!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by steph_v)
    Um, I originally thought Bristol was okay, but I really ballsed up on a question and never really got it back after that. Liverpool wasn't fantastic. It was pretty fun, but I messed up on more than one station and only 1 or 2 went really well. They've given out offers to people who had the same date as me, so I'm pretty much waiting on a rejection from there. RVC was just horrific, it was terrible from start to finish :p:

So yes, not very good. I'm trying to be positive, but I'd rather not get my hopes up and the be really disappointed. The idea of a gap year is starting to appeal. It's just really annoying that you have to be in the country for the admissions process, and writing another personal statement really, really does not sound like fun!
    I am sure you did much better than you think though!! They always make you feel like you have done worse to test how you deal with it!
    You will be FINE! and a gap year would be pretty amazing! what would you do if you had to take one then? I agree though I still have nightmares about my personal statement!!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.