Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    yepp, unfortunately

ReputationRep:
    yeh i no they wudnt WANT to tell us... but surely they are obliged to tell us, i mean we have the right to know surely??

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I would agree, surely we should know what we are getting ourselves in for??

Edit, thanks for the advice Rach, that calmed me down!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rachhyyyy)
    yeh i no they wudnt WANT to tell us... but surely they are obliged to tell us, i mean we have the right to know surely??
    Lol. So I guess I shouldn't be mentioning good facitlies at Bristol in my interview if they don't actually have any :o:

ReputationRep:
    Nottingham has not yet recieved accreditation from the RCVS yet, so one is taking a chance going there too! They just dazzle everyone with their shiny new facilities.

ReputationRep:
    Surely they'll have jazzed up the facilities in a few years anyway and itll be another vet school getting the stick?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tommygunsvet)
    right, been thinking about bristol...

Yes i LOOOVE the city and location, but it's the worst vet school, and I've heard that apparently only 3,4,5 years are garenteed to qualify, and there's a chance 1,2 year and newer may not become recognised due to this whole dispute over facilites. thats coming from a 1st year ar bristol vet school by the way...

anyone know any more?
    Its not going to be a problem because the facilities in dispute are being rebuilt/replaced by more up to date ones and will be ready for this years applicants . Its like when people were worried that Nottingham weren't going to be accredited, there is a small chance they might not be, but you know its not gonna happen

Edit: wording

ReputationRep:
    Oh my goodness, guys, we've been over this a million-and-one times!

There is no BAD or WORST vet school. They all have their merits. There are things Bristol have that I would say I'm probably envious of. But equally Liverpool does things that Bristol doesn't. It's all swings and roundabouts. The most important thing to realise is that you come out of every vet school with the SAME QUALIFICATION. The experience you have on the way is primarily down to you.

Secondly, all this rubbish about only third, fourth and fifth years being guaranteed to qualify from Bristol.
    Every set-time frame every vet school receives a visit from the RCVS to ensure that its faccilities and teaching is still up to scratch, to ensure that the students they are churning out deserve (i.e. have the skills and knowledge for) accreditation.
    The last visit Bristol had it was noted that they could do with upgrading their faccilities. I know that for sure. The rumour also goes that they had a repeat visit and the same point was mentioned again - with the suggestion that if they did not improve the RCVS would have to reconsider their accreditation. As far as I know it was a very tentative suggestion.

Bristol University would never tolerate that. They would lose income, their reputation as one of only seven uni's in the uk. It would not be viable for them to risk that. So, since then, they have started upgrading faccilities. They will upgrade above and beyond the RCVS's minimum. You will probably find they will be left with some of the newest and best faccilities of all the vet schools as a result. There is no way in hell they will let themselves lose accreditation. Therefore no-one is risking "not qualifying", whatever year they're in. There is no danger. Therefore nothing to tell applicants.

Besides, even if Bristol were to lose accreditation (I re-iterate, it'll never happen) people wouldn't come out "unqualified". They'd still be qualified. Just not allowed to practice until they'd take an RCVS exam. Not even that big a deal.

Chill, and stop knocking Bristol. It's got a lot offer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emilyyy)
    Oh my goodness, guys, we've been over this a million-and-one times!
    :yep: it always seems biased when I say it :p:

And in all fairness, you won't really see any of the new facilities for about three and a half years; we'll be all cosy at Southwell Street. By which time it won't even be the miniscule issue that it currently is.

ReputationRep:
    My cat earlier tried to attack my other cat, by running under a glass table then trying to jump through it! Epic fail

ReputationRep:
    Bristol rejection...
    I think I win in being useless.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .captainsarah)
    Bristol rejection...
    :grouphugs:
    Ohh, I'm so sorry That's really rotten luck. Don't give up now, you ARE meant to be a vet. However tonight => Ben & Jerrys.

ReputationRep:
    Bristol rejection...
    Sarah I'm so sorry! That genuinely sucks, they have missed out there, all the vets schools have. A gap year could be the best thing to ever happen though, and who knows, I might be joining you soon! Focus on your A levels, get 2 As (you will!) and show all the Unis that you deserve a place next year! Crap pep talk, but I tried! You aren't useless at all.

Edit: Ben & Jerry's was my line!! It's ok, I don't mind, you can have it :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ClaireW2708)
    :grouphugs:
    Ohh, I'm so sorry That's really rotten luck. Don't give up now, you ARE meant to be a vet. However tonight => Ben & Jerrys.
    Haven't got any
    Tbh, I was expecting it and I'm sort of glad because I know I wouldn't have done well at an interview with it being my only chance, so to speak...

ReputationRep:
    Bristol rejection...
    Dont worry this time next year you'll be sitting here with at least one unconditional under your belt thinking about how amazing gap years are!
    Reapps for the win

ReputationRep:
    Haven't got any
    Tbh, I was expecting it and I'm sort of glad because I know I wouldn't have done well at an interview with it being my only chance, so to speak...
    Any comfort food will do And tacky telly..

Naw, seriously, I'm really sorry.

ReputationRep:
    ditto to what haddie said, Sarah, youl be so glad u took a gap year (if u decide to take one) and u will LOVE it i assure you, some real gap year love right here!!!!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by sampanache)
    Its not going to be a problem because the facilities in dispute are being rebuilt/replaced by more up to date ones and will be ready for this years applicants . Its like when people were worried that Nottingham weren't going to be accredited, there is a small chance they might not be, but you know its not gonna happen

Edit: wording

Heyy, my liverpool interview is same date as yours!
    What time are you at?

ReputationRep:
    Bristol rejection...
    I'm sorry But its not the end...don't give up on your dream I know you'll get there. :grouphugs:

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys :hugs: I'll be fine, ski cross is on now so I'm pretty well distracted.
    Good luck for everyone with interviews tomorrow, I hope you all do really well

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.