Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x_dwin_ffeimys_x)
    That was the worst interview I have ever had!! They were fuk3n racist against the welsh, and I would have walked out if I had an offer allready, i'm never ever applying to Bristol again, they asked me Q about the link between AIDS and TB!!!! and I had a go at the man..uchh...I'd rather go to Glasgow to do my bio-vets then ppay £20k grad fee than go there if thats the way all their staff will look at me!
    The only thing I can think of is last year they said my sciene knowledeg for verry good, so they asked me the worst sort you could get..even went through different paces different horse breeds have, and ask about the different types of E-coli! Which I had obviously no idea of...hhe even said in the end "she doesnt know, I will not ask you the next Q I had planned coz it will be too hard"
    :eek: How were they racist?!

Don't get too down over it, I know its hard but really its not worth it! My interview at Cambs went awful... all about the physics of ice skating!? WFT! And I didnt have a clue but still got a offer

So chin up! They obviously thought you were good enough for interview and to be given some hellish quetions! Maybe it was to see how you coped under pressure and stress?

*hugs*

ReputationRep:
    I'm like the worst vet applicant ever.

I swear I don't deserve an offer let alone being rung up by Lynda Moore...I was just lucky yesturday that my interviewer happened to be the co-writer of a report I'd said I'd read :p: and I can bake some mean muffins

Advice to all future applicants....build computers and bake muffins...THEY LOVE IT!

(Original post by FireAndIce)
    :eek: How were they racist?!
    last time I checked Welsh people weren't a separate race from English/Scottish/Irish/French people :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    erghhh beth, those Q's are seriously EVIL, they shudnt expect anyone to no any of that!!! and the thing about being against u cuz yr welsh, thats so so so wrong!!!!!!
    bristol sucks :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rachhyyyy)
    erghhh beth, those Q's are seriously EVIL, they shudnt expect anyone to no any of that!!! and the thing about being against u cuz yr welsh, thats so so so wrong!!!!!!
    bristol sucks :p:

Thanks....just cook some muffins and build computers and they'll let you in :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shedlife)
    Yer so errm I got a phone call this morning on my mobile (which the ear piece doesn't work very well)

BRISTOL OFFFERRRRRRR

13 hours after interview I must of kicked some ass tbh even though I didn't know how to administer the Kennel Cough vaccine. I know the secret to getting a offer now.....BAKING all about baking banana and honey muffins :p:
    Wow, well done! When she rang me I didn't have any signal so I was just there going hello while she tried to talk to me. In the end she hung up and had to try again! :p:
    If you had an offer from liverpool which one would you choose?
    And also Bristol have just got planning permission for a £12million small animal hospital and they are starting building this summer so by the time we get to 4th and 5th year the facilities should be really good

ReputationRep:
    Congrats on the Bristol offer (even with all the Brizzle hate going on...) at least you'll be at vet school!!! And sry about the other Bristol interview...I didn't realise there was a link between TB and HIV...maybe they have similar surface proteins? or are both transmitted via mucous membranes?? I think that was a rly unfair Q!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moonlight*)
    Yh, i did hear the same day and mine was a mixture of science, ps and vetty!! I thought it went okay, but nothing special. I actually thought my cambridge one went better! (anyone who thought they messed up, stay positive, you could still get an offer!) How did you think yours went?

And at the talk yesterday Lynda Moore said they will try to let everybody know by the end of the week and rejections and on-holds will be by e-mail!
    Oh and congratulations! I was going to add that on an edit, but my comp was working too slow, it was past 11.30pm and had just come back from Bristol so gave up and went to bed.

I thought mine was very challenging. A lot more so than cambridge. I don't think it went bad, but not brilliant either.

You must have been able to answer everything!!!

I thought my questions were a bit unfair to be honest. How did they expect me to know all the vet knowledge???!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    That was the worst interview I have ever had!! They were fuk3n racist against the welsh, and I would have walked out if I had an offer allready, i'm never ever applying to Bristol again, they asked me Q about the link between AIDS and TB!!!! and I had a go at the man..uchh...I'd rather go to Glasgow to do my bio-vets then ppay £20k grad fee than go there if thats the way all their staff will look at me!
    The only thing I can think of is last year they said my sciene knowledeg for verry good, so they asked me the worst sort you could get..even went through different paces different horse breeds have, and ask about the different types of E-coli! Which I had obviously no idea of...hhe even said in the end "she doesnt know, I will not ask you the next Q I had planned coz it will be too hard"
    Hm..AIDS and TB? I'd assume they were looking for something like 'TB is a chronic disease that often takes a long time to progress, for example can take years to see clinical signs in both cows and humans after infection. with Aids you have a suppressed immune system so if you contract the TB infection it would be much more agrressive, symptoms could show earlier etc. and there would be a much higher mortality rate and shortened life expectancy in humans. Also more likely to physically GET TB as immune system cant protect against it when it first invades the body.

Also maybe mention something about africa: there are lots of cows with tb/humans with tb/lots of aids/hiv and the relationships between all of these things.

But that is a tough question.. i tihnk it was more of a problem solving one than a knowledge one. Regardless, if you had a tough interview then its natural that you wouldnt be coming out tihnking it went amazingly.. the fact they WERE trying to challenge you means that perhaps they saw something in you?

ReputationRep:
    Wow, well done! When she rang me I didn't have any signal so I was just there going hello while she tried to talk to me. In the end she hung up and had to try again! :p:
    If you had an offer from liverpool which one would you choose?
    And also Bristol have just got planning permission for a £12million small animal hospital and they are starting building this summer so by the time we get to 4th and 5th year the facilities should be really good
    Thanks, I think if I get a Liverpool interview I'm gonna go there purely cause it's closer but it's really swung me this phone call business; they must of really liked me yesterday!

ReputationRep:
    Obv they were asking stuff with english word I did not know the meaning of, so I had to ask a few time what does that mean? and the man just kept rolleing his eyes, and when I was describing some stuff he was just like oww yeah thats how the welsh do it ina real sarcastic tone, and how come the welsh do it different when they are english/scotish graduates? and everytime I got a wrong answer he was liek oww you don't learn these stuff in Wales then...yeah it's a different country, but its not on the other side of the world!!!
    Agree with you Northern..and Iam praying atm, I'm just hoping I've got my A in chem :/

Saw you shedlife, you sat on the other side of the canteen to me, i was gonan go say Hi, but one of my mates from North Wales hockey was there so had a catch up with her instead

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ViolinGirl)
    Oh and congratulations! I was going to add that on an edit, but my comp was working too slow, it was past 11.30pm and had just come back from Bristol so gave up and went to bed.

I thought mine was very challenging. A lot more so than cambridge. I don't think it went bad, but not brilliant either.

You must have been able to answer everything!!!

I thought my questions were a bit unfair to be honest. How did they expect me to know all the vet knowledge???!
    Some parts of mine were challenging but then they also asked me questions which I knew I could answer well so it was quite good It was actually the interview I enjoyed the most! They were probably looking to see how you think things through so it didn't matter if you got the wrong answer...

ReputationRep:
    Some parts of mine were challenging but then they also asked me questions which I knew I could answer well so it was quite good It was actually the interview I enjoyed the most! They were probably looking to see how you think things through so it didn't matter if you got the wrong answer...
    I think I got lucky...the guy said 'I've been trying to catch you out but so far failed so I'll give you a maths question'

It was piss easy and I've not done maths for 2 years and got a B at GCSE....

I've got a 25kg dog
    The required dose is 4mg per kg per day
    I have 25mg tablets

How many tablets do I need for a 5 day course? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    well done on all the offers everyone!!

that bristol question is really hard if you havent done a level biology for a year! its basically tb is an opportunistic disease so lies dormant in the white blood cells unitl the immune system is weakened and then begins to show symptoms. however i only know that from bio and im sure thye wouldnt expect everyone to know that! did you have a go?

the killer whale story's awful. he issue of keeping those sort of animals in captivity aside, they definiely should not have been using that whale in shows when it had already been allegedly involved in 2 deaths! although if the second guy diud sneak in at night and jump in a tank with a killer whale then tis kind of his own fault. :p:

good luck to everyone waiting on bristol!!

ReputationRep:
    The questions they gave me were pretty ridiculous, they expected me to just know all these complex veterinary issues in IMMENSE detail. It was question after question after question, untill they had exhausted the topic they had brought up.

I had to guess at points, and I could see the look of disapointment on their faces when I didn't get some bits right...

I handled it as best I could. I don't think it was a diaster but not really what I was expecting...
    Maybe you had the same people as me?

ReputationRep:
    Not really. They were not questions you could think through...it was either I had read up about it and then knew what the answer was, or I hadn't and had no clue.
    And on the ones I did know in a lot of detail myself, they expanded these to the ABSOLUTE limit. I don't think they left out a single bit on the issue. Just never moving on. 3/4 of my interview was about one thing.:eek3:

ReputationRep:
    Now the TB / HIV issue is making more sense I completely forgot that TB is in macrophages! I'm glad I wasn't asked that question Also, organisations such as the WHO are looking at combining their efforts against Tb and HIV b/c TB is the leading cause of death in HIV positive patients in developing countries like in Africa, so they figure if they try to tackle both in the same initiatives, they'll be able to get treatement to ppl faster

ViolinGirl, that's how I felt my RVC interview went! The first thing they started out on, it went on for ages, and then other things they kind of skimmed over...And it was all very LA related which I have least experience in, but maybe the interviewers want to test us on things that we might not know so much on to see how much we've read around the subjects?

ReputationRep:
    We did Loads!!! On tb and aids at a level bio. Snab biology ftw!! In humans some people TB can be contracted years before signs are shown the bacteria lies dormant then when you pick up HIV and your immune system is supressed the tb bacteria attack. It's one of the diseases people with aids die from you don't really die of aids you did from the other diseases you pick up

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ViolinGirl)
    Not really. They were not questions you could think through...it was either I had read up about it and then knew what the answer was, or I hadn't and had no clue.
    And on the ones I did know in a lot of detail myself, they expanded these to the ABSOLUTE limit. I don't think they left out a single bit on the issue. Just never moving on. 3/4 of my interview was about one thing.:eek3:
    whoa that does sound pretty nasty! Mine was quite varied. Who were your interviewers? I had 2 men who were in room that was down the corridor, across the yard and into another part of the building. I can't remeber what room number it was :o:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shedlife)
    I think I got lucky...the guy said 'I've been trying to catch you out but so far failed so I'll give you a maths question'

It was piss easy and I've not done maths for 2 years and got a B at GCSE....

I've got a 25kg dog
    The required dose is 4mg per kg per day
    I have 25mg tablets

How many tablets do I need for a 5 day course? :rolleyes:
    Did they ask you questions that required you to have read up on a lot of veterinary detail...cause I had loads.

That is a lovely maths question. Don't even need a calculator, whole numbers

ReputationRep:
    bristol interviews sound nasty.
    but i still want one :o:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 21, 2010

University open days

• Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Thu, 1 Jan '70
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Thu, 1 Jan '70
  • Birmingham City University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 1 Jan '70
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.