Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by steph_v)
    It's payday today; I'm buying some books on Amazon at the moment, I'm tempted to get the veterinary ethics book that everyone raves about. I don't know if I can justify spending £25 on it, though. Is it worth it?
    I would start off with something more interesting :p: Yeh its alright...but its ethics Anatomy is sooo much more interesting! And you will use your anatomy books much more :yep: I've opened my ethics one like twice since I got here!

ReputationRep:
    I was readign on the AVS website that because of the increase in stress because of debts, increase in eating disoders and suicidal rates within vets theyre thinking of only taking on Undergrads who have a welathy family to support them in the future! Since debt rate will be about £40,000 in 5 year! Nutts ey

(trying to put myself against becoming a vet...still ain't working) lols

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x_dwin_ffeimys_x)
    I was readign on the AVS website that because of the increase in stress because of debts, increase in eating disoders and suicidal rates within vets theyre thinking of only taking on Undergrads who have a welathy family to support them in the future! Since debt rate will be about £40,000 in 5 year! Nutts ey

OMG NO! That would be so unfair! I'm ok cos my parents could help me out in times of need, but it's really not fair to discriminate against poorer applicants! Rather than discourage poorer applicants they should do more to help vets that struggle!

ReputationRep:
    Lol the last thing I worry about is the debt!! :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~*starlight*conquest*~)
    OMG NO! That would be so unfair! I'm ok cos my parents could help me out in times of need, but it's really not fair to discriminate against poorer applicants! Rather than discourage poorer applicants they should do more to help vets that struggle!
    yuppss I know...I think it would be better to increase it to a 6yr course with less houers every week! then theyd have some time to have a part time job for money, or more time to socialaize! But then some ppl can cope with it being 5 yrs, and it would only make them spend more maby..uch a dunno!

ReputationRep:
    is anyone else on hold from the bristol interviews this week??

ReputationRep:

That AVS thing was a gloomy read:p:
    I think it is interesting like it says in the article that the government's approach is the opposite of what actually needs to be done, typical.

ReputationRep:
    Just got an on hold email from bristol

ReputationRep:
    yuppss I know...I think it would be better to increase it to a 6yr course with less houers every week! then theyd have some time to have a part time job for money, or more time to socialaize! But then some ppl can cope with it being 5 yrs, and it would only make them spend more maby..uch a dunno!
    Wouldn't that just end up the same? Cos they'd have to pay for another year of university and accommodation fees...

Just got a rejection from Bristol I was at least hoping for an on-hold. I'm gutted, I thought the interview had gone ok...In the email it says they don't give detailed feedback, can anyone confirm this?

ReputationRep:
    yeh im with steph, being on hold is WAY better than a rejection, but when uve been onhold for 4 months u wish u werent :p:

at least u shud hear within the next few weeks

ReputationRep:
    I'm not buying books for vet school, obviously. I'm not getting anything technical, just a books to read before bed, haha. I'm buying things like Gerald Durrell's Biography and a book about orangutans (I'm going to need to know as much about them as possible when I go to Malaysia). I was just asking peoples' opinions on that Veterinary Ethics book, but Tony has just persuaded me it's not worth it (yet). I do already have a really interesting anatomy book already, that I got for Christmas after requesting it.

I agree, that article is a depressing read. I do understand where they are coming from, but you can't discriminate against poorer students like that, it's completely unfair.

ReputationRep:
    Wouldn't that just end up the same? Cos they'd have to pay for another year of university and accommodation fees...

Just got a rejection from Bristol I was at least hoping for an on-hold. I'm gutted, I thought the interview had gone ok...In the email it says they don't give detailed feedback, can anyone confirm this?
    Oh no I'm really sorry to hear that

Whaat? They gave me really detailed feedback, and I'm on hold. However, maybe too many people are asking, that's why they can't/won't? I know Rachel didn't get any feedback, despite asking.

Sorry for the double post.

ReputationRep:

thats weird theyre usually really good with feedback, in fact that one thing that impressed me with bristol was the really personal and detailed feedback they gave. sorry to hear bout rejection but look up and forward to liverpool, u'll love it there

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blahhh)
    Lol the last thing I worry about is the debt!! :p:
    Lol same! I prefer to not think about it, otherwise it all gets a bit scary. Going to get onto the student loan business next week when my dad comes home..so he can sort out the hard stuff lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JoMC)
    is anyone else on hold from the bristol interviews this week??
    well done with the on hold for brizzle, how was RVC today?

ReputationRep:

As you still have an interview, it would be absolutely worthwhile asking for feedback. If it's something that unknowingly came across negatively in your interview, it's something you want to know before Liverpool!

By all means, send Lynda an email; as has been mentioned, she's usually very good at providing detailed feedback. Even if it's not for the interview, and you do end up reapplying, it'll be valuable.

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys. Just for anyone with Nottingham offers there's a group on facebook now.

Nottingham Veterinary Students 2010 < type that into facebook search and it will come up. =)

ReputationRep:
    Did they give the feedback in the same email they sent to say you were on hold, or did you ask for the feedback?

ReputationRep:
    RVC was yesterday.
    I have no idea how it went. :/ I felt i answered the ethics questions quite well but not so good on the science stuff...Was very different to brizzle.
    Fingers crossed though.

ReputationRep:
    Did they give the feedback in the same email they sent to say you were on hold, or did you ask for the feedback?
    I emailed Lynda Moore directly, a few weeks after my interview. Did she give her email address at the talk?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 21, 2010

University open days

1. University of Edinburgh
    All Departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
  2. University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
  3. Loughborough University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.