Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Baby shampoo is making my hair fluffy. Any other "harmless" shampoos that don't have too many chemicals in them? - preferably for men.

ReputationRep:
    Simple? It's not really for men or women specifically, but they're unperfumed, and they're sort of renowned for being a gentle brand. Never used it myself, but you could give it a whirl.

ReputationRep:
    Try looking for sodium lauryl sulfate free shampoos. They are consistently more expensive than normal shampoos, but defiantly less chemical in nature. Have a look in health food shops and such, a lot tend to branch out in to toiletries and whatnot now. I know Holland and Barrett stock the Dr Organics range which are quite nice and all SLS free; http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/pag...c-products.asp

ReputationRep:
    Waitrose and health food shops tend to have a reasonable range of SLS and paraben-free shampoos so you can browse for one that suits you, or you can look for 'organic' ranges online (if you want to be sure that it doesn't have too many chemicals then you need to check the ingredients list yourself though, or check that it's been certified, usually by the Soil Association). Some of them will be for women or will be unisex, but you can try baby shampoo by a more 'natural' brand to see if it works better than your current one, or a few do actually do men's ranges - I think Lavera do, for example, and Daniel Galvin Junior might do one as well.

ReputationRep:
    Be careful with shampoos (or other toiletries) that claim to be free of SLS/SDS - very often they instead contain a different detergent that is practically identical anyway. SLS is the primary detergent used in a lot of shampoos, so if they remove it something else has to go in its place, and something pretty similar. Most soaps are unsuitable for use on hair and SLS does a pretty good job so it is always used, sometimes listed with a "friendly" sounding name instead.

OP - how long is your hair? If it's short you might not even need shampoo at all. If it is long then have a go using the cheapest, simplest bar soap (e.g. a supermarket's own brand of simple soap - check ingredients) and then rinse all over with a dilution of cheapo white vinegar. About 50ml in a 1L jar topped up with shower water will do fine. Rinse as little off as you can - your hair will feel amazing once it dries. The smell goes very quickly.

ReputationRep:
    Naked Bodycare.

ReputationRep:
    lush =]

ReputationRep:
    Lush shampoo bars are good. A bar lasts as long as 3 bottles of shampoo so it works out loads cheaper. They do liquid shampoos too but I haven't tried any of them.

ReputationRep:
    Aveda

ReputationRep:
    Lush Shampoo Bars are good, like kamc suggested. Give them a try. Lots of different scents as well: Clicky

ReputationRep:
    What's the difference between sodium lauryl sulfate and ammonium lauryl sulfate? I got the manuka honey shampoo from H&B, lets see how that one goes.

My hair is medium

Where can you get these bars from and i'm guessing you lather in your hands and then put it on your hair..?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kamc)
    Lush shampoo bars are good. A bar lasts as long as 3 bottles of shampoo so it works out loads cheaper. They do liquid shampoos too but I haven't tried any of them.
    What makes them so good?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shazada.pathan)
    What's the difference between sodium lauryl sulfate and ammonium lauryl sulfate? I got the manuka honey shampoo from H&B, lets see how that one goes.

My hair is medium

Where can you get these bars from and i'm guessing you lather in your hands and then put it on your hair..?
    You can get the bars off the website or from Lush shops, theres quite a few around, one in pretty much every medium to large sized town.

They're good because they're made from entirely natural ingredients and like kamc work out cheaper to use than shampoo. Though maybe not baby shampoo, but your regular head and shoulders stuff anyway.

Yep you just wet your hands and lather a little bit up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deutsch_Beth)
    You can get the bars off the website or from Lush shops, theres quite a few around, one in pretty much every medium to large sized town.

They're good because they're made from entirely natural ingredients and like kamc work out cheaper to use than shampoo. Though maybe not baby shampoo, but your regular head and shoulders stuff anyway.

Yep you just wet your hands and lather a little bit up.
    But they have sodium lauryl sulfate in it :s I thought I should avoid that..?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shazada.pathan)
    But they have sodium lauryl sulfate in it :s I thought I should avoid that..?
    Ah right, owe you an apology then, didn't realise the shampoos had SLS in them, all the Lush products I use have no chemicals in, I assumed all of them did.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.