Turn on thread page Beta

What if i fail my GCSE maths?? Any other alternatives? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi, This is my first post.

I am in college doing my maths gcse.

I failed a month ago on my first module. I was 2 off a D (dissapointing)

I am doing the 2nd module. Its very hard, I done a practice paper and got 19/35 today. Very bad.

I have the exam coming up in 3 weeks time. Also i get to resit the first module in june time.

The last module is ENORMOUS I doubt i can pass

( i do GCSE foundation maths)

What if i fail, I want to go uni next year and study IT. I have been acepted and will go on providing i meet my condition of a C

Alternative?

What can i do? Very stuck and stresssed

ReputationRep:
    I suppose it's just a case of study study study. Do a solid hour or two of maths a night, it'll pay off in the end I suppose.

ReputationRep:
    Just keep revising i only have a D in maths although i need to retake it too i know i will pass it easy if i put my mind too it, i recommend doing lot's of past papers and asking the teacher for help on any questions you don't understand and by the time the test comes around you should breeze through the paper and get your C grade (:

ReputationRep:
    just revise loads, but take regular breaks, do some past papers

the one trick i've been doing lately which is actually helping.. is that i type up a list of information and which topic it comes under, so after i've revised a certain topic i hid all my notes and then write as much as i can remember about that topic - i suppose it helps my long term memory and recalling of facts through a trigger word/ phrase/ the topic title

first time i did my maths gcse at school i got a D, then i re-took it at college and got a B and that was without any revision and after every exam i thought i'd done really badly (trust me i really am not that clever lol!) so don't worry too much

ReputationRep:
    http://mathswatch.co.uk/

this is really good, they do CD-ROMs for foundation level and higher level GCSE, and are only 3 pounds.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by simsimsim)
    http://mathswatch.co.uk/

this is really good, they do CD-ROMs for foundation level and higher level GCSE, and are only 3 pounds.
    Mathswatch is very good. The only problem is that they sell to schools only, and there's a minium of order of around 20-25 copies? Ask your college about such resources if you need extra help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by om149)
    Hi, This is my first post.

I am in college doing my maths gcse.

What if i fail, I want to go uni next year and study IT. I have been acepted and will go on providing i meet my condition of a C

What can i do? Very stuck and stresssed
    Do lot's of past papers so you are familiar with the style of questions and get someone to help with the things you consistently get wrong. Some 1 to 1 help can make a huge difference to how well you do in maths exams. Talk to your maths teacher and ask if there's any extra help available explaining that unless something changes you'll not get the C that you need. Do you know anyone who is good at maths who can help you with revision? If you can afford it, get a tutor.

ReputationRep:
    Past papers, past papers and more past papers. I don't know which exam board you're studying but i'm studying the AQA syllabus. There are loads of past papers and specimen papers on their site and it really helped me to go through them, highlight the questions you are struggling with and either go through them in your text book or ask your teacher. By doing all the papers, you will get to see how the questions are asked and you'll get to see which subjects come up time after time, after time.
    Also which level are you taking? Foundation or higher? If you're doing higher, think about switching to foundation as it's lot easier to get a "C" on foundation than it is on higher. Good luck.

Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.