The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
dogtanian
My friend at work knows a good place in Bognor, as it happens.

What's the name of the place?
There we go.
The gun of Pure Evil:
http://www.studex.com/studex/universal/files/universal.html

But this is the one I usually use:
http://www.studex.com/studex/75/files/75.html

The latter has the added bonus of being made of metal that can be sterilised. It's also just an impliment to aid piercing, rather than having a trigger where you release and hope for the best.

Still inferior to needles, I'm not arguing that, but not the shock-inducing first one.
clairey87
What's the name of the place?

If I knew, I'd have told you :tongue:

If she's at work tomorrow, I'll ask.
Reply 23
i got my cartillage done there 2 days ago, with a gun don't lecture i won't listen i read up about it i chose the right earrings and the right gun to use. im a kind of pro gun person having had all 9 of mine done with a gun
anywhos yes it's 16- i work at Claires too
and if your going to get your ears done at claires for the love of god just go for the gold not the rhodium plated or gold plated just the plain gold- better gun and better stud.
fallenone

and if your going to get your ears done at claires for the love of god just go for the gold not the rhodium plated or gold plated just the plain gold- better gun and better stud.

..Overpriced, but the lesser of two evils...
As for cartilege, there is no 'right gun'. I don't really trust Studex as far as I can throw them, so I tend to take what they say with a pinch of salt.. Given that it's far more delicate and troublesome an area than the lobe, I wouldn't get it done at Claire's, I'd go to a place that does it with needles. Just to be safer. Though it's been decided by my friends that cartilege just wouldn't suit me, so I'll leave well alone.

Heard about the nose piercing rumours?

I for one will flat refuse to do it.

PM with the name of the store you work in :smile:
Reply 25
well thanks to our half price discount on piercing its was only 7.25-huzzah
weve had at least 6 piercings that had to be filed the past week because of something going wrong due to people not choosing the studs that we can use with system 75. silly silly people!
Reply 26
clairey87
Do you need to be 18 to get a piercing at Claire's without your parent or guardian with you?

You need to be crazy. *Pokes you with a stick* Go somewhere good where they don't mess up your ears :frown:
Reply 27
DO NOT USE GUNS!!!!

They can't be sterilised. They make a ragged hole through the ear, because they force a blunt earring through. If you pierce cartilage with a gun, you risk shattering it.

Only fools use guns :frown: Don't do it :frown:
fallenone
well thanks to our half price discount on piercing its was only 7.25-huzzah
weve had at least 6 piercings that had to be filed the past week because of something going wrong due to people not choosing the studs that we can use with system 75. silly silly people!

...which is why guns are pants.

Really, System 75 is hardly perfect. But if it was a choice of the two, I'd go for that one (which, for all its crapness, can be sterilised, Lauren)
Reply 29
One o my friends pierced her ears 3-4 times on each side with a needle and ice and they were fine, but when she went to get another set done in Claire's the went all infected and pussy and red. Not nice at all.
Reply 30
Had top of my left ear done in a place called 'mystic world < goth shop and it came out fine. They put a numbing solution on my ear, i cant remember what was used but it definaly wasnt a gun. £5.50 that was, cleared up as fast as that area can i suppose (for most people i know it takes about a year for that area to clear up anyway) But i had a second one underneath it and that got so infected i had to remove it, was too close to the healed one!
Reply 31
I have no idea why they're allowed to pierce cartilage with a gun, I'd never heard anything about the fact that it could shatter until I get mine done at Claire's and it went gross and I went to a proper piercing studio to see what they said, it just doesn't make sense to me
Reply 32
clairey87
Do you need to be 18 to get a piercing at Claire's without your parent or guardian with you?

i think its 16. but if you look 16, or say you are 16 (careful, you must sign declaration/disclaimer!) they will do it. i found it daunting having everyone watching around the store.

they did all 6 of my ear piercings (not all at once!). they use a gun, which is short sharp ouch. they also are a big chain, so is likely to be vv hygenic and they use anaesthetic swabs. thats why i kept going back there.be brave girl!
Reply 33
dogtanian
...which is why guns are pants.

Really, System 75 is hardly perfect. But if it was a choice of the two, I'd go for that one (which, for all its crapness, can be sterilised, Lauren)

Even though it can be sterilised, I doubt Claire's are going to autoclave it each time. During busy periods, I have seen that all they do is wipe it down with a tissue, if that!
Reply 34
devilbunny
One o my friends pierced her ears 3-4 times on each side with a needle and ice and they were fine, but when she went to get another set done in Claire's the went all infected and pussy and red. Not nice at all.

actually, i had all 3 pairs at claires, with a years's gap between them and every single one went septic. i thought it was me- im allergic to nickel. however reading all of the other girls, perhaps it wasnt totally sterile :confused: . now i dont know.

my friend had the needle on in her lip (not at claires) and it was 100% ok but she almost passed out. GUN i say!
Reply 35
Juno
Even though it can be sterilised, I doubt Claire's are going to autoclave it each time. During busy periods, I have seen that all they do is wipe it down with a tissue, if that!

:puke: omg! can't the blood on the gun give you aids/hepatitis or something? omg! im not surprised mine went septic!!! tbh i've only ever been to claires for piercings, i dont know about the other places.

try H Samuel/Lovedays/a reputable jewellers maybe?
Juno

Oh, I know. Once a day, maybe, at a good store. Hmm. As part of the training, the woman from Studex actually told us to clean the guns with an antibac wipe to just to "reassure" the customer, even though it "doesn't do anything". Mums are easily reassured...

I'm not advocating piercing with guns here, just pointing out that this particular bit of kit can be sterilised.

Whether or not that happens is another matter entirely, of course.

Oooh, I hope my bosses don't read this. My arse'd be so fired...
missjelly
:puke: omg! can't the blood on the gun give you aids/hepatitis or something? omg! im not surprised mine went septic!!! tbh i've only ever been to claires for piercings, i dont know about the other places.

Um.

Have you actually read this thread?

Haha, you think your piercing went septic because of the AIDS virus? Lordy.

As for jewellers, just as bad as Claire's, because they use the same flipping gun. Actually, they tend to be filthier, I find. At least in comparison to my store.

Again, not advocating guns. But advising people to go to somewhere probably worse than Claire's is stupid.

:confused:
Reply 38
missjelly

The blood could give you anything that its owner had. I'd imagine anywhere that uses a gun will be just as bad though.

missjelly
actually, i had all 3 pairs at claires, with a years's gap between them and every single one went septic. i thought it was me- im allergic to nickel. however reading all of the other girls, perhaps it wasnt totally sterile . now i dont know.

my friend had the needle on in her lip (not at claires) and it was 100% ok but she almost passed out. GUN i say!

So even after your experiences you'll recommend guns?! Your friend couldn't have had her lip done with a gun, so it wouldn't have helped there. But if you're gonna pass out from a piercing then a needle is still better to use than a gun. I've had several piercings, all needle, and I have never felt faint once.
Reply 39
I had my ears done at HSamuel a year ago. They used a gun - but the earings were in a sterile packet that just sloted into the 'gun'. My experiance of HSamuel was very good - althouhg my holes are a bit wonkey, but only if you look close. I think that you can get infections from any type of piercing, whether its from a gun or not. Its down to your owncleaning regieme. If you clean your ears prperly then you wont get infected! I wasnt told how to clean mine but its pretty self explanatory I think.

Latest