Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi peeps

Subject choices again. Basically, I want to do four subjects next year. I'm pretty much set in my mind that I will do:

AHs: Chemistry, biology and computing

Hs: Maths

My dad keeps telling me that it's far too much to do and I should drop one of the Ahs. I really want to do medicine and I feel doing these subjects will give me the best possible chance. Yet at the same time, I do want to have a fun 6th year. I'm predicted at AAAAB, so if I keep working, re-sits certainly shouldn't be an issue. I'm just so confused...help/personal experiences needed

ReputationRep:
    hmm, ok thank you.

Anybody else have some input?

ReputationRep:
    Well, I know of at least one person in our current sixth year doing 3 AH's (Chemistry, Physics, Maths) and 1 Higher (French), and she seems to be coping just fine. Saying that, she is really motivated, so it essentially comes down to what you think you can cope with.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jackwka)
    Hi peeps

Subject choices again. Basically, I want to do four subjects next year. I'm pretty much set in my mind that I will do:

AHs: Chemistry, biology and computing

Hs: Maths

My dad keeps telling me that it's far too much to do and I should drop one of the Ahs. I really want to do medicine and I feel doing these subjects will give me the best possible chance. Yet at the same time, I do want to have a fun 6th year. I'm predicted at AAAAB, so if I keep working, re-sits certainly shouldn't be an issue. I'm just so confused...help/personal experiences needed
    I'm doing AH Chem, Bio and Maths: Mechanics and H Art (I am applying to Med and got 5As last year).

I'm coping fine but I have to admit I don't particularly enjoy Maths (it is incredibly boring though I don't find it too hard most of the time) and get frustrated by and really can't be bothered with Art, if I was doing subject choice again I would probably of not done Art but another subject with less coursework though it does set me apart from other Med applicants 'cos its not a standard subject (or perhaps I would of taken it in a different column so i had a different teacher). I find Chemistry and Biology come very naturally to me and really enjoy them so i put the work in without thinking about it which probably makes it easier to do another 2 subjects.

People generally find H Maths hard, though it is easily possible to get good grades it does require a lot of practice of questions.

Given there are people who do 4 or 5 AHs (Meteorshower for example got 5As at AH) its definitely possible to do 3AHs and a Higher, its just more a case of do you want the extra pressure when you plan to apply to a very competitive university course and will probably want to get involved in 6th year stuff. Some weeks I do end up having a lot on (3 NABS, a committee meeting and related event to run, a wind band concert and a hockey tournament make for a busy week) but most of the time I can juggle it all and in the end I think it will be worth it.

ReputationRep:
    Definetely keep AH Biology and Chemistry. I think universities would prefer to see higher maths than AH Computing for medicine but I doubt there is a lot in it so drop one of them. I don't think taking a fourth subject will give you an advantage over other applicants.

ReputationRep:
    I thought I should point out most Med schools expect you to be doing bio and chem even if they don't set conditons on them - and for Med schools south of the border they are probably in the entry requirements.

ReputationRep:
    If you think you'll enjoy them, take them. If you don't you may be wasting your time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meteorshower)
    If you think you'll enjoy them, take them. If you don't you may be wasting your time.
    Oh don't get me wrong, I love those subjects. I was hoping to take maths this year but my school refused to let me take 6 highers. And biology, chemistry and computing are my best subjects and if medicine doesn't work out, I'm looking at computer science or some form of programming.

The only thing I was concerned about was the workload, but I get the feeling I could do it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jackwka)
    Oh don't get me wrong, I love those subjects. I was hoping to take maths this year but my school refused to let me take 6 highers. And biology, chemistry and computing are my best subjects and if medicine doesn't work out, I'm looking at computer science or some form of programming.

The only thing I was concerned about was the workload, but I get the feeling I could do it.
    If you want to medicine, you're going to be looking at a considerably larger workload than you've been used to at school at some point. It's all about time management really, if you use your time effectively it's amazing what's possible to fit in, and I think it's a good idea to get better at that before university, rather than once you're here (particularly for medicine)

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Applying to university
Uni match

Find your perfect match

Our tool will help you find the perfect uni course for you

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.