Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Basically, with the way the columns are set out, I am taking Geography at Higher (not a problem btw, I've always found it interesting). The problem is, I didn't do it at Standard Grade, but I did take Modern Studies and History (which I am continuing at Higher too) and my grades in those two subjects are both ones.

Is it possible to just dive in on Higher Geography without the Standard Grade? I was always quite good at it in 1st and 2nd year, and I know a bit about it. Also, people in my school have been able to crash Higher Modern Studies and Higher History without doing them at SG, so the school let you do it.

ReputationRep:
    It is just loads of stuff to remember, if you got 1s in ms and history, it shouldn't be too taxing a subject for you.

ReputationRep:
    i doubt you would have much trouble, don't worry about it.

ReputationRep:
    I would do it. I do both subjects at Higher too, and pupils in my year took Higher Geography without doing it in Standard Grade.

ReputationRep:
    understanding wise its not hard at all. It just takes a lot of time to remember everything you are taught. or should i say learn

ReputationRep:
    Int 2 geography was beyond a joke! I went into the exam without even opening my textbook once(in or out of lessons) and made up random crap in the exam. I ended up with an A band 1! While I'm not doing Higher this year, I seriously doubt anything at SG/Int 2 is going to be helpful to you anyway. Besides, if you can manage History(which is meant to be quite difficult), Geography should be a breeze.

ReputationRep:
    The Int2 and higher geography this year were far harder than when i sat it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JakePearson)
    Basically, with the way the columns are set out, I am taking Geography at Higher (not a problem btw, I've always found it interesting). The problem is, I didn't do it at Standard Grade, but I did take Modern Studies and History (which I am continuing at Higher too) and my grades in those two subjects are both ones.

Is it possible to just dive in on Higher Geography without the Standard Grade? I was always quite good at it in 1st and 2nd year, and I know a bit about it. Also, people in my school have been able to crash Higher Modern Studies and Higher History without doing them at SG, so the school let you do it.
    It's do-able. I started crashing it in December and managed to wing my prelim to get a very strong C, learned the majority of the course in a few weeks of hard work and I'm now hoping for an A or B.

The course uses barely any SG content apparently, the case studies are a bit of a bore to learn however you can get loads of marks for named examples of geographical features.

If you need any help, just ask, I'm going to be doing Adv next year

University open days

1. Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Days Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
  2. University of Sunderland
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
  3. Plymouth College of Art
    All MA Programmes Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Applying to university
Uni match

Find your perfect match

Our tool will help you find the perfect uni course for you

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.