Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Yeah you can really analyse the standard of my English from two sentences on an online forum.

Anyway, thanks for the advice but I won't tone down my natural style for the sake of not appearing pompous.

The content is more important anyway - for those of you on this discussion that currently have a place at Oxford, was it literally just a sentence or two devoted to extra-curricular activities on your P.S?

Thanks again

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brown1)
    Yeah you can really analyse the standard of my English from two sentences on an online forum.

Anyway, thanks for the advice but I won't tone down my natural style for the sake of not appearing pompous.

The content is more important anyway - for those of you on this discussion that currently have a place at Oxford, was it literally just a sentence or two devoted to extra-curricular activities on your P.S?

Thanks again
    Well I have an offer for Cambridge, and 14 out of 47 lines were for extracurriculars on my statement. I'm not sure how that compares to others. To be honest, I would go against what most others seem to be saying on here, and devote one paragraph for your extracurriculars. Oxford have plenty of ways to assess your academic capabilities - I think they would trust grades, interview, HAT, written work, over something from your PS. So I'd write a reasonably well-balanced PS, however with the major focus being academics.

ReputationRep:

Thanks again
    Sorry OP, I didn't mean to judge your standard of English or offend you, and by all means write as you wish in your ps. Something I struggled with when writing it was cutting down on unnecessary words so as to allow more room for content, because as you say this is more important.

It depends on the extra-curriculars. I would say that of 'normal' extra-curriculars such as Girl Guiding, positions of responsibility etc. I only allowed a couple of lines at the end. However a significantly larger proportion was dedicated to extra-curriculars related to my subject, for example I am going to study French and Spanish and so I mentioned conversation groups I attend, events I have organised etc. as well as reading/going to theatre/visiting country. If it is something that is really important to you, then mention it, but they genuinely won't be that interested in Duke of Edinburgh Bronze or whatever. I got my referee to put in some extra-curriculars that I couldn't fit in.

Basically, don't sacrifice the academic for the 'well-roundedness'

ReputationRep:
    Ignore them. My personal statement was quite flowery even by my standards and that didn't seem to restrict its evident success.

The content is more important anyway - for those of you on this discussion that currently have a place at Oxford, was it literally just a sentence or two devoted to extra-curricular activities on your P.S
    I wrote 5 short sentences myself about nothing particularly interesting. They tend to advise 80% academic 20% EC.

ReputationRep:
    What a stupid question.
    x

ReputationRep:

Thanks again
    I had hardly ANY extra curriculars, so I interweaved them into my statement (for example, the fact that I've trained as an interpreter) and explained why that would be good for law. I also had a paragraph at the end about my interests (that were unrelated to my subject) and my job (also unrelated) just to give background on me as a person. Interestingly enough, the only thing I got asked about in my interview regarding my personal statement was one of my interests that was not related to the subject!

The rest of my statement was very much dominated by my subject, whether it was explaining my interests within it, or how it came about, reading/research I'd done or why I'd make a good law student.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.