Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have applied for Ops placement in Goldman Sachs. I have final round interview next week. I am quite nervous!! All it says in email is there are gonna b three competency based interviews. But on the careers page for gs, it says most of the final round interviews are technical. This is what i have read on forums as well.

I am not from a finance or economics background at all..Can someone who has done final round interviews with ops would give me an overview plzz???

Any advice would be appreciated!!!

ReputationRep:
    i applied for it and got an offer. therll be three two on one interviews...not really technical tbh. just competencies.

ReputationRep:
    congrats on the offer..Well Done

Do you remember the questions? was there anything about current markets and interest rates??? I am bit surprised that they don't do group exercises and case studies just interviews right???

What kind of things should i be reading??

Thanks alot for your help

ReputationRep:
    lol nothing about current conditions/interest rates..i knew a little anyway because of other interviews i went to but didnt need to talk about anything. just make sure you know why and what is ops

ReputationRep:
    how long did they take after final round interview to get back to you?? do they even send rejections email ?? it's my second day after final round and i am getting seriously worried now!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by student comp)
    how long did they take after final round interview to get back to you?? do they even send rejections email ?? it's my second day after final round and i am getting seriously worried now!
    dont get worried about the delay...they only get back to people really quickly if they know they have to i.e. they have another offer
    good luck

ReputationRep:
    same here! I applied for Global Compliance and will have the final round interview next week! In the email they said there will be two competency-based interviews and I am quite looking forward to them! Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Operations final round internship interview in 2 weeks time. Only a 3 day waiting to get a response from my phone interview. Think that's good. Going mental about the role now that it feels I am so close to the job. Not applying from a uni anywhere near their target market. Hoping that won't have a bearing on their initial perceptions... but knowing GS it will.

Anyone else? Good Luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rockon)
    Operations final round internship interview in 2 weeks time. Only a 3 day waiting to get a response from my phone interview. Think that's good. Going mental about the role now that it feels I am so close to the job. Not applying from a uni anywhere near their target market. Hoping that won't have a bearing on their initial perceptions... but knowing GS it will.

Anyone else? Good Luck.
    Why did u have a phone interview? I take it you live far frm the UK???

That also means u haven't done the numerical&verbal yet, right??? If I were u, I'd be praying I don't have to do it in the final round!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rockon)

Anyone else? Good Luck.
    it wont

ReputationRep:
    I thought they are almost done with Ops recruiting???

ReputationRep:
    I'm from Belfast. The phone interview was basic competency really. I felt it went poorly but final round invitation proved me wrong I guess. I'm good at the aptitude tests, but will be annoyed if I am required to do them come final round with no warning. Anyone else there for the first round interviews? Anyone gonna be there for final round?

ReputationRep:
    is operations back office?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AI99)
    is operations back office?
    Yes. Although GS call it part of "Federation" (non-revenue generating side of the business).

ReputationRep:
    Just a note: It went well. Heavy emphasis on teamworking, Why GS and why operations. Checking out other applicants and the process makes me think I took the interviews too seriously. Lovely secretary woman noted a reply would be in a couple of days: but one of my interviewers mentioned a couple of weeks. Sooooo probably means I didn't get a position.

Good Luck

ReputationRep:
    The secretary woman said that would take a week but I still haven't heard anything (the interview was almost 3 weeks ago). My friend's friends applied for Operations and got an offer quite a while ago. so...good luck!

ReputationRep:
    wow i didnt have any of those questions (apart from why ops, why GS)!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stephaniereede)
    Hi, just had my operations final interview and thought I would post what my experience of the process was.

There was 3 interviews, each 30 mins.

Questions asked include:

What challenges do you think the market will see in the next five years?
    What do you think the day to day duties of working in Ops will be like?
    Why ops?
    Why GS?
    Why financial sector?
    Why you? What can you bring to GS?
    What area in Ops are you interested in?
    How have you overcome difficult challenges?
    How do you manage your time with your academic and extra-curricular activities?
    From your past work experience, what can you bring with you to GS?
    How did your past employer operate? What do you think determined its success.
    What motivates you?
    What are your future goals?

I was told I would find out by the end of the week. Someone's friend who was being interviewed received an offer within 48hours.

Hope that helps!!
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/anno...php?f=94&a=296

ReputationRep:
    I'm new to this site and didn't realise that there was such regulations in place. Oh well. I'm sure TSR will take it upon themselves to delete the post.

ReputationRep:
    Results are in, thumbs up.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.