Turn on thread page Beta

Do long term relationships typically start off like this? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So, I am very good friends with a boy, I have been trying to work out if something more is going on and to be honest I keep going back to my gut instinct which is telling me that there is even though I sometimes am confused and doubt as to whether there is for sure. It's been getting stronger and stronger over the months to the point where it almost feels like we're in a relationship (although nothing has happened physically). I know I have quite strong feelings for him. I am going to see how things go because for various reasons it's not right for me (or him if he wanted to) to say anything at this time. This doesn't feel like a lust or short term relationship situation. As I don't have relationship experience I just wanted to ask if this type of scenario sounds like how meaningful relationships can possibly start off and if not how do they (although I understand that obviously there will be variations)?

ReputationRep:
    Its impossible to say. Some LTRs start off from two strangers having a one night stand and some from two individuals who have been friends for years and develop feelings for one another. Just chill out and see how it goes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Darcie*)
    some from two individuals who have been friends for years and develop feelings for one another
    Fingers crossed for this option!

ReputationRep:
    That's exactly how my LTR started. So maybe

ReputationRep:
    there's no way of saying =/ anything can turn into a LTR but obviously you dont know it untill it is one :P best you can do is try no LTR ever comes from just sitting around waiting

good luck it seems you have the heart in it to make something special

ReputationRep:
    Same with me, I became friends then we started dating. Been together for almost 11 months now.
    I'm sure it will turn into a LTR but don't be too hasty. Take things slow and talk about things. You should maybe suggest doing something on Valentine's or do something that only includes you two. then maybe he might get strong signals from you and maybe things will go further. Fingers crossed and good luck.

ReputationRep:
    That's how me and my girlfriend started off, even though she was already in a relationship at the time, and we've been going great for over 2 years. So in my experience, yes this could well become a relationship that works.
    Be prepared for it to sneak up on you!

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for all your comments. Like you've said it does seem like it's a question of time, I just wish that I had a crystal ball to know if it will go in the direction that it feels that it is! I guess I'm worried about being disappointed if nothing does happen particularly if the feelings develop further on my side.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davy Noo)
    Be prepared for it to sneak up on you!
    That is precisely what it feels like!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TrueScarlett)
    Thank you for all your comments. Like you've said it does seem like it's a question of time, I just wish that I had a crystal ball to know if it will go in the direction that it feels that it is! I guess I'm worried about being disappointed if nothing does happen particularly if the feelings develop further on my side.
    Well whatever happens, good luck!
    Go with what feels right!

ReputationRep:
    Good luck hope it works out for you

ReputationRep:
    That is precisely what it feels like!
    Yep, me and my now girlfriend got teased about getting close, and we kept maintaining that we were just friends, and tbh that's how it felt. And then wham, stuff happened and here we are!
    If you wanna talk about it at all feel free to message me

I feel the same but i am a guy (18) who has feelings for a girl:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Fingers crossed for this option!
    Well good luck, hope it works out for you both.:lovedup2:

ReputationRep:
    all relationships began differently, me and my girlfriends were best friends since year 10, don't try and find a relationship, it'll find you

ReputationRep:
    Well my boyfriend and I had only known each other a week when we got together 5 years ago. It sort of blossomed and we're best friends as well as a couple. One of those lasting friendships. It depends on your situation but it sounds promising so keep working at it.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 9, 2010
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.