Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Is it okay to drive up kerbs and on pavements? i'v got 16inch wheels and a 1000 kg car so it should be ok??

Yes just slow.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    I think its illegal, but I don't think it is for parking. If you mean whether its ok for your car, then it sounds alright, just as above, slowly.

ReputationRep:
    Not really. You could scratch you alloys.

And only do it on really narrow roads! It's am annoyance to people using the path.

ReputationRep:
    Its dangerous for pedesterians

ReputationRep:
    ^ Yeah, only if they can't walk around the car. Sometimes (quite often) it is necessary.

(Original post by LOV3R)
    Its dangerous for pedesterians
    How the **** do I get to my garage then?

ReputationRep:
    don't do it unless you know what you doing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rucklo)
    How the **** do I get to my garage then?
    there should be a dip in the pavement for you to do it, otherwise you have to get one put in, otherwise if you damage the pavement you would have to pay for it. I know someone that drove over a pavement and got forced to pay for damage and put a dip thingy in.

(Original post by marcushumphrey)
    there should be a dip in the pavement for you to do it, otherwise you have to get one put in, otherwise if you damage the pavement you would have to pay for it. I know someone that drove over a pavement and got forced to pay for damage and put a dip thingy in.
    My dad has done it for 19 years and had no issue, i'm sure it will be fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rucklo)
    My dad has done it for 19 years and had no issue, i'm sure it will be fine.
    I swear it's not legal though.

ReputationRep:
    Tbh the legalities of it dont really bother me, doing 31 in a 30 is illegal but still happens. To me pavements are just an extension of the road, as long as you dont scare or endanger pedestrians there isnt too much to worry about. In tractors we mount pavements at 30 odd mph, with loaded trailers and its fine. With smaller car tyres you have to be careful, but its more than possible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marcushumphrey)
    I think this would be a very rare occurance mind!

ReputationRep:
    Just drive over the damn pavement, nothing is going to happen.

ReputationRep:
    If you mean park with your wheels on the pavement so part of your car is on the pavement it is an obstruction. Anyone who does this is a selfish **** who hasn't considered the needs of the partially sighted or disabled pedestrian. More to the point I have a terrible habit of accidentally keying the bodywork of cars I see parked like this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hypocriticaljap)
    If you mean park with your wheels on the pavement so part of your car is on the pavement it is an obstruction. Anyone who does this is a selfish **** who hasn't considered the needs of the partially sighted or disabled pedestrian. More to the point I have a terrible habit of accidentally keying the bodywork of cars I see parked like this.
    And what do you do when there are cars parked on both sides of the road and you can't get past? Get out and walk the rest of the way?

(Original post by hypocriticaljap)
    I have a habit of smacking ******s like you in the jaw.

ReputationRep:
    i wasnt worried about the parking issues. its just my instructor came up with some BS about the car tyres getting put under stain, bodywork could get scratched and steering could get messed up by the impact

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deploythecowcatcher)
    i wasnt worried about the parking issues. its just my instructor came up with some BS about the car tyres getting put under stain, bodywork could get scratched and steering could get messed up by the impact
    Depends what you mean by 'impact'. Hitting a curb at 30mph will almost certainly eat the sidewalls of normal road tyres *feels safe riding on his 5+3 ply off road tyres * and if you don't get a flat then you might get a blowout on the motorway or something equally as bad :rolleyes: Steering damage won't happen at parking speeds but at, as I said, say 30mph or above, it's not just the steering you want to worry about. Parking with one tyre half on/half off the pavement is terrible practice, as is rubbing the sidewall of the tyre down the length of the pavement while parking.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.