Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nuffles)
    Depends what you mean by 'impact'. Hitting a curb at 30mph will almost certainly eat the sidewalls of normal road tyres *feels safe riding on his 5+3 ply off road tyres * and if you don't get a flat then you might get a blowout on the motorway or something equally as bad :rolleyes: Steering damage won't happen at parking speeds but at, as I said, say 30mph or above, it's not just the steering you want to worry about. Parking with one tyre half on/half off the pavement is terrible practice, as is rubbing the sidewall of the tyre down the length of the pavement while parking.
    so you mean i can drive all over pavements (coming at them with the front 2 tyres first, i.e. perpendicular to the road) at parking speeds and it will be fine?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deploythecowcatcher)
    so you mean i can drive all over pavements (coming at them with the front 2 tyres first, i.e. perpendicular to the road) at parking speeds and it will be fine?
    No because it is illegal, it is only legal if it is to gain access to a property, and only then when a suitable ramp/dip in the pavement is employed.

ReputationRep:
    Is it okay to drive up kerbs and on pavements? i'v got 16inch wheels and a 1000 kg car so it should be ok??
    yeahh its fine look around nearly every car you see thats parked up is on the kerb slightly, as long as its not fully on the kerb or preventing pedestrians from walking on the kerb its fine

doesnt really matter about the wheel size, i think it more depends on if your car has been lowered or not, if your car is really low then your likely to scrape the bottom of the car.. but im guessing yours isn't lowered

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hypocriticaljap)
    If you mean park with your wheels on the pavement so part of your car is on the pavement it is an obstruction. Anyone who does this is a selfish **** who hasn't considered the needs of the partially sighted or disabled pedestrian. More to the point I have a terrible habit of accidentally keying the bodywork of cars I see parked like this.
    Why would you do that when the only option for that person is to go on the pavement so the road isnt blocked? Its not an idiotic one in a thousand occurrance, its an accepted best practice rather than the jerks who park forcing all passing traffic to ride the pavement (thats more dangerous).

ReputationRep:
    If your engine has enough torque to pull you up over the lip of the curb when perpendicular to it at parking speeds then no, it wouldn't damage your tyres. Your clutch might complain a bit though :p:

ReputationRep:
    It'll probably weaken the tyres banging up onto kerbs. Then you will go on a motorway. Then the tyres will overheat. Then the weaker part of the tyre that has been abused by a pavement will explode.

That's what my Dad said...I think to scare me into not going onto kerbs. Worked wonders!

(Original post by The Procrastinator)
    It'll probably weaken the tyres banging up onto kerbs. Then you will go on a motorway. Then the tyres will overheat. Then the weaker part of the tyre that has been abused by a pavement will explode.

That's what my Dad said...I think to scare me into not going onto kerbs. Worked wonders!
    My dad has done it every night for 19 years.

He travels 80 miles a day on the motorway.

Your dad talks ****.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rucklo)
    My dad has done it every night for 19 years.

He travels 80 miles a day on the motorway.

Your dad talks ****.
    What's with the attitude eh?

It certainly wont do any good parking like that.

(Original post by The Procrastinator)
    What's with the attitude eh?

It certainly wont do any good parking like that.
    Considering the amount of potholes on the road atm, it is like hitting one at 4mph.

If that ****** my car up, it would be broke by now the amount on the road and considering your going 6 times faster +.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rucklo)
    Considering the amount of potholes on the road atm, it is like hitting one at 4mph.

If that ****** my car up, it would be broke by now the amount on the road and considering your going 6 times faster +.
    It wont **** your car up but the suspension and tyre life wont last as long....I'm just trying to save your monies!

ReputationRep:
    If you mean park with your wheels on the pavement so part of your car is on the pavement it is an obstruction. Anyone who does this is a selfish **** who hasn't considered the needs of the partially sighted or disabled pedestrian. More to the point I have a terrible habit of accidentally keying the bodywork of cars I see parked like this.
    So what about the fact a car cant get through if the cars arent on the kurb. People like you will get a good smack one of these days

ReputationRep:
    if the road is narrow, and parking on the road would obstruct traffic, and if parking on the path would obstruct pedestrians, then park somewhere else. FFS:mad:

ReputationRep:
    More to the point I have a terrible habit of accidentally keying the bodywork of cars I see parked like this.
    do that to my car and ill murder you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by slammed_gti)
    if the road is narrow, and parking on the road would obstruct traffic, and if parking on the path would obstruct pedestrians, then park somewhere else. FFS:mad:
    I'd like to park my car outside my own house, thanks, ********.

And most of the time parking with two wheels on the pavement doesn't obstruct the way for pedestrians.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AugustWestie)
    And most of the time parking with two wheels on the pavement doesn't obstruct the way for pedestrians.
    exactly

ReputationRep:
    cars > pedestrians

you better get some ******* benefit after all the money youve spent on a car

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't worry about it, I tend to drive up my neighbours drop kerb and along the pavement when I'm parking at home as it, but I've never had any problems hitting full height curbs on occasion, you just want to make sure you don't do it too fast so you dent the rim like this...

ReputationRep:
    Only place I'd put consider getting a dip in pavement put in for drive is london, because it then acts as a yellow line - i.e. people can't legally park in front of your drive. Elsewhere in the country there's nothing stopping people being ***** and parking in front of a dipped pavement..

ReputationRep:
    has anyone seen the size of curbs at bus stops!
    do you reckon there still safe to drive up?

ReputationRep:
    has anyone seen the size of curbs at bus stops!
    do you reckon there still safe to drive up?
    I would yes, and I've driven up bigger, but I now think you've pushed this into the realms of why-the-hell-do-you-care? territory.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: February 23, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.