Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nuffles)
    I would yes, and I've driven up bigger, but I now think you've pushed this into the realms of why-the-hell-do-you-care? territory.
    im just worried about damaging my tyres if i take on too much.
    those kerbs are like 9inch to a foot tall round here

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deploythecowcatcher)
    im just worried about damaging my tyres if i take on too much.
    those kerbs are like 9inch to a foot tall round here
    Why would you want to drive up over a bus stop curb? There's no reason why you would need to. If you want to go around doing that sort of **** get a decent 4x4.

ReputationRep:
    Why would you want to drive up over a bus stop curb? There's no reason why you would need to. If you want to go around doing that sort of **** get a decent 4x4.
    In my local town, theres not a lot of parking space, so rather than do it on the double yellows and leave the hazards on, most people just park fully on the high street pavement (theres loads of room), so the council have wised up and reinforced the kerbs

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by linkdapink)
    I think its illegal, but I don't think it is for parking. If you mean whether its ok for your car, then it sounds alright, just as above, slowly.
    If driving on a pavement is illegal, then it doesn't matter whether you're parking or not. You still need to drive on the pavement.

The police will say that parking on the pavement isn't illegal but driving is. The truth is that parking on a pavement, being an obstruction of a public highway, is illegal. Like many things it just isn't enforced.

(Original post by Yas89)
    do that to my car and ill murder you
    Obstruct a pedstrian highway and ill (sic) murder you :p:

(Original post by AugustWestie)
    I'd like to park my car outside my own house, thanks, ********.
    You don't have a divine right to, do you? If you can't park legally and with consideration then don't drive.

You might think that there's still enough room on the pavement for a pedestrian, but remember that not all "walk". Is there enough room for a wheelchair, a mobility scooter or a pushchair? Most of the time the answer to that is no.

(Original post by brokenangel)
    So what about the fact a car cant get through if the cars arent on the kurb. People like you will get a good smack one of these days
    Pavements for pedestrians, roads for cars. It's as simple as that. If someone can't park on the road without causing an obstruction on the road this doesn't give them the right to park and cause an obstruction on the pavement.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by River85)
    You don't have a divine right to, do you? If you can't park legally and with consideration then don't drive.

You might think that there's still enough room on the pavement for a pedestrian, but remember that not all "walk". Is there enough room for a wheelchair, a mobility scooter or a pushchair? Most of the time the answer to that is no.
    Um, yes, I do have the right to park outside my own house lol. :rolleyes: I'm afraid we're not all blessed with a drive outside our houses.

Yes there is enough room for what you mentioned. In my experience, most of the time, that is the case.

An easy way to decide whether to park on the pavement is to check if other cars on the same road are. If you wanna be a **** and park on the road, despite the fact that everyone else is parked on the pavement, then that's your choice.

What's more annoying: two wheels parked harmlessly on the pavement, or cars on both sides parked on the road so no one can get through?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hypocriticaljap)
    If you mean park with your wheels on the pavement so part of your car is on the pavement it is an obstruction. Anyone who does this is a selfish **** who hasn't considered the needs of the partially sighted or disabled pedestrian. More to the point I have a terrible habit of accidentally keying the bodywork of cars I see parked like this.
    Er.... it's called footway parking. You get a ticket for it in London, but most other places it's fine, and is encouraged. Where I'm from you'd get into trouble for not parking partially on the pavement. A lot of roads aren't wide enough for you to park normally, and you risk your car and other cars being damaged by not parking on the pavement slightly. Most pavements are huge so it isn't a big deal.

ReputationRep:
    If driving on a pavement is illegal, then it doesn't matter whether you're parking or not. You still need to drive on the pavement.

The police will say that parking on the pavement isn't illegal but driving is. The truth is that parking on a pavement, being an obstruction of a public highway, is illegal. Like many things it just isn't enforced.

Obstruct a pedstrian highway and ill (sic) murder you :p:

Pavements for pedestrians, roads for cars. It's as simple as that. If someone can't park on the road without causing an obstruction on the road this doesn't give them the right to park and cause an obstruction on the pavement.
    As an example, where I'm from the roads are very narrow. The residents park partially on the pavement, because the road is too narrow to have two sets of parked cars. The roads are always packed and it is necessary to park as such. In fact, in the whole city I rarely see anyone not footway parking.

Funny thing is that when someone from London visited family, they parked normally on the road in a huge car and got a ticket for obstructing the road.

Point is that in a lot of cities the roads are narrow but the pavements wide. London obviously give tickets for footway parking, but there was some discussion as to whether this was really for 'obstruction', or just because it ends up costing more in pavement maintenance.

I have never, ever seen anyone be obstructed by a car that is parked partially on the pavement. I got a ticket for it when I moved to London. I was quite surprised, as I had no idea those were the rules here, and where I live people would think you were retarded if you took up so much space on the road for no reason.

Is there enough room for a wheelchair, a mobility scooter or a pushchair? Most of the time the answer to that is no.
    Do you have weird narrow footpaths where you live? The ones round here have plenty of space if you park half a car on them.

Not that I make use of that fact though as I'm fortunate enough to have a drive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DJW)
    Do you have weird narrow footpaths where you live? The ones round here have plenty of space if you park half a car on them.

Not that I make use of that fact though as I'm fortunate enough to have a drive.
    how do you get on the kerb btw?
    drive along the dropped bit, or just drive into the 'wall' when you need to?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deploythecowcatcher)
    how do you get on the kerb btw?
    drive along the dropped bit, or just drive into the 'wall' when you need to?
    Don't for the love of god try crawling up them by driving along the curb and turning into it. Hit them one tyre at a time, as close to head on as you can get, that or say goodbye to your sidewalls and rims. Take it slow and you'll need a glob of gas to get you over the lip.

ReputationRep:
    Don't for the love of god try crawling up them by driving along the curb and turning into it. Hit them one tyre at a time, as close to head on as you can get, that or say goodbye to your sidewalls and rims. Take it slow and you'll need a glob of gas to get you over the lip.
    you mean, the sidewalls are weak, and the bits of tyre that come in contact with the road, are relativly strong?

Well the tyre and wheel are designed to take force coming up from the road* and towards the centre of the wheel not force coming in from the side.

*Edit: And even force around the whole tyre rather than a large force in one area like from a kerb.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DJW)
    Well the tyre and wheel are designed to take force coming up from the road and towards the centre of the wheel not force coming in from the side.
    right...
    i just generally act as if my car and tyres are indestructible, and climb pavements, drive into curbs willy nilly, even if its not neccessary!

Well consider that if they're damaged by doing that they're not necessarily going to break there and then, they might well go when you're doing 70mph on a busy dual carriageway.

ReputationRep:
    theres too many self righteous people on this forum who feel theyre better than you because they follow every rule in the damn book

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Riderz)
    doing 31 in a 30 is illegal but still happens.
    Won't someone think of the children :rolleyes:.
    Steering damage won't happen at parking speeds but at, as I said, say 30mph or above, it's not just the steering you want to worry about.
    Except of course you may well knock your alignment out especially with power steering (and chin spoiler/exhaust possibly).

Scratching a car is inexcusable behaviour in my book, by all means punch someone in the face if you have a problem with their parking but don’t take it out on the poor car. If you do or have done this then do the world a favour and hang yourself (after you have paid your taxes and donated your remaining money to charity).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hippopothomas)
    Won't someone think of the children :rolleyes:.
    Except of course you may well knock your alignment out especially with power steering (and chin spoiler/exhaust possibly).

Scratching a car is inexcusable behaviour in my book, by all means punch someone in the face if you have a problem with their parking but don’t take it out on the poor car. If you do or have done this then do the world a favour and hang yourself (after you have paid your taxes and donated your remaining money to charity).
    Quite true, but it very much depends on how you hit it. If you roll up to it slowly and rest your tyre up against the curb then give it some gas to pop it over you won't do any damage at all but different speeds will damage different cars differently. Cars with beam axles and a track rod between the front wheels will handle big shocks to one side a lot better than a car with independent suspension and multiple links between the wheels (and you can do the tracking with a length of string and a spanner on a solid axle car too ).

It also depends on the tyres. A Fiesta with very low profile tyres will transmit a hell of a lot more force through the steering and suspension when you hit a curb than a 4x4 with big mud tyres, for example.

ReputationRep:
    just try and get the tyres as horizontal to the kerb as you can before mounting it - i.e. dont gradually try and go up the kerb. Generally I dont think there is any danger to your car - it is built for conditions much worse than a little kerb lol...think of all the bumps and stuff in the road etc, the high speeds you might be travelling etc etc

imo parking slightly on a kerb is actually quite considerate as it gives the drivers more space to get round you. Assuming the pavement is not tiny and you can get round, pedestrians should stfu

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AugustWestie)
    I'd like to park my car outside my own house, thanks, ********.

And most of the time parking with two wheels on the pavement doesn't obstruct the way for pedestrians.
    THERE IS NOTHING IN LAW THAT SAYS YOU HAVE AN AUTOMATIC RIGHT TO PARK OUTSIDE YOUR OWN HOUSE unless it is in your own private drive . You can park outside it as long as you don't cause serious obstruction to others. If it doesn't obstruct pedestrians, that's fine, but if a wheelchair has to go into the road into traffic then that's not acceptable

ReputationRep:
    My god why are you lot still talking about such a stupid topic? I mean get over it, park and drive where the hell you want.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.