Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I know that there are probably hundreds on threads similar to this.

But I was wondering if somebody could help me with the format for referencing a book chapter, with the chapter being written by the same person as the overall book.

On the internet, there is many different ways but all of which are for if the chapter has been written by someone other than the author.

The format is - Havard Referencing.
    Thank you in advance.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone, help would be gratefully appreciated???

ReputationRep:
    Chapter author(s) surname(s) and initials.Year.Title of chapter followed by ‘In’ Book editor(s) initials and surnames with ed. or eds. after the last name. Title of book. Place of publication: Publisher. Chapter number or first and last page numbers followed by full-stop.

Examples:

Smith, J., 1975. A source of information. In W. Jones, ed. One hundred and one ways to find information about health. Oxford: Oxford University Press. Ch. 2.
    Samson, C., 1970. Problems of information studies in history. In S. Stone, ed. Humanities information research. Sheffield: CRUS, 1980, p. 44-68.
    - Harvard System of Referencing Guide

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dhokes)
    Chapter author(s) surname(s) and initials.Year.Title of chapter followed by ‘In’ Book editor(s) initials and surnames with ed. or eds. after the last name. Title of book. Place of publication: Publisher. Chapter number or first and last page numbers followed by full-stop.

Examples:

Smith, J., 1975. A source of information. In W. Jones, ed. One hundred and one ways to find information about health. Oxford: Oxford University Press. Ch. 2.
    Samson, C., 1970. Problems of information studies in history. In S. Stone, ed. Humanities information research. Sheffield: CRUS, 1980, p. 44-68.
    - Harvard System of Referencing Guide

Thanks ever so much, but sorry if this sounds stupid but whats the whole "ed" about. For example, if the chapter I am wanting to reference is written by the same author overall. Sorry, I am just confused. Is it something that is always written?

The book chapter I am trying to reference is "What is social development" from:

Schaffer, H.R. (1996) Social Development. Oxford:Blackwell.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jewel08)
    Thanks ever so much, but sorry if this sounds stupid but whats the whole "ed" about. For example, if the chapter I am wanting to reference is written by the same author overall. Sorry, I am just confused. Is it something that is always written?
    I think it stands for editor(s) and I don't know tbh. If you're unsure, write the author's name twice.

ReputationRep:
    Good question. If I understand you correctly you are talking about referring to a chapter in a book in which lots of different authors write the different chapters. Then the book has an editor, and the editor has written some of the chapters. This means that when you write your reference the author's name and the editor's name are the same. So - follow the rules and just put the same name again! It might look odd, but it is correct.
    The best reference guide I've found and a one page guide to referencing can be found on my blog for my university students here:
    English for University.Com

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PatMcMahon)
    Good question. If I understand you correctly you are talking about referring to a chapter in a book in which lots of different authors write the different chapters. Then the book has an editor, and the editor has written some of the chapters. This means that when you write your reference the author's name and the editor's name are the same. So - follow the rules and just put the same name again! It might look odd, but it is correct.
    The best reference guide I've found and a one page guide to referencing can be found on my blog for my university students here:
    English for University.Com
    Thanks for your help!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jewel08)
    Thanks for your help!
    They didnt give you a course handbook or so?
    We had harvard explained to us in such boring depth, even classes on it! Its painful but necessary. Seems youve had your question answered but if you have anymore ive spent plenty of hours referencing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by graphixx)
    They didnt give you a course handbook or so?
    We had harvard explained to us in such boring depth, even classes on it! Its painful but necessary. Seems youve had your question answered but if you have anymore ive spent plenty of hours referencing.
    No, we haven't really been given any information on it, just supposed to look it up in our own time I am confident with the normal book references, etc, it was just how to reference a chapter that confused me!
    Thank you for your offer of help though

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.