Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi

ReputationRep:
    Physics and Maths would be fine if you wanted to do a normal three A-levels, but even if you like them you will find the workload to be a *****.

Drop at least one subject now - no British university wants more than three A-levels for any course. If you find four A-levels easy you can continue doing all four.

ReputationRep:
    business studies isn't a hugely respected a'level. i'd drop it unless its relevant to the course you're doing.

and the thing that will kill you is the coursework. so check which of those a'levels have coursework, and how much each has.

i personally wouldnt recommend taking more than 2, 3 at a stretch a'levels with coursework. as it will naturally all come at the same time and be pretty stressful

ReputationRep:
    Drop Business, it's useless, especially when you already have Economics.

ReputationRep:
    It's been done by people at my school - but only AS. They usually drop one, or even two, when it comes to A2. Try this... or you could take them all, see how you find the work loads, and if it's too much drop your least favourite subject. The stress wouldn't be worth the overall grades though, if you get really stressed, no matter how bright you are.

ReputationRep:
    Deleted

ReputationRep:
    I do five A-levels, and I really wouldn't recommend it right now. You end up doing loads of exams, leaving less time to study for each, and have a much bigger workload during the rest of the year. This also means that you never have any time to revise for subjects, and never have any "free" time during school. Plus, it is pretty much no advantage over someone doing four when applying to university.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Drop business. 4 is fine.

ReputationRep:
    Don't bother with BS..
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Is Insane!

ReputationRep:
    I don't think your GCSE grades justify you doing 5, also take history instead of business studies: universities don't like people taking economics and business studies. Also what exactly do you want to do? If it's economics at a top university then take maths further maths economics and history, if it's physics then take maths, further maths, physics and chemistry, if it's English literature take English, history, economics, maths and maybe another essay subject...

Other than English literature I would say that combination is fairly easy (I'm bad at English literature :P)

ReputationRep:
    At my school it was the norm to do 4 proper AS levels and general studies, then drop one for the next year (and general studies, but you could do it if you really wanted to). So you'd end up with 3 A levels and 1 AS level. Some people did all 4 to A level, but I think it would have been a bit of a stretch to do 5.

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking of doing 5 as well: Maths, Further Maths, Economics, Chemistry and Physics.. I don't have any other "comitments" so I can spend all my time revising.. I have bad GCSEs so I feel like doing 5 AS levels and getting good results will make up for that (Not only from a university point of view)

Is it really THAT hard with another subject? I mean Further Maths and Maths sort of overlap don't they?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aphotic Cosmos)
    Drop at least one subject now - no British university wants more than three A-levels for any course.
    I think I've seen Imperial give out A*AAA offers this year.

Personally, I'd drop Business. It's not particularly respected, and English Lit will demonstrate your essay writing ability more than adequately.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kevin_123)
    I'm thinking of doing 5 as well: Maths, Further Maths, Economics, Chemistry and Physics.. I don't have any other "comitments" so I can spend all my time revising.. I have bad GCSEs so I feel like doing 5 AS levels and getting good results will make up for that (Not only from a university point of view)

Is it really THAT hard with another subject? I mean Further Maths and Maths sort of overlap don't they?
    Not really, I know some schools will teach you the full A-level Maths course in a year if you wanna do FM (so you do that at a2).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MWrights)
    Hi guys, just have a question. I want to do 5 A levels:
    English Literature
    Physics
    Maths
    Economics
    Business Studies

Will these be difficult to cope with? I have to submit my choices within two days, I got 3 A*'s 5 A's and 1 C in my GCSE mocks.
    business is useless for uni, take the other 4 and just dont drop any after AS

btw mock is no representation of actual grade really, you could easily make those all a*s. or you could do what i did, and think they dont matter and fail at them

ReputationRep:
    BS is BS. Drop it.

ReputationRep:
    My friend did 5 AS levels and is currently still doign 5 A levels.
    I don't have a clue how she copes, she's doing
    Computing
    Maths
    Further Maths
    English Language
    and Tudor History.

On top of that she's one of these wacky Christian's who organises a Christian youth group and is at church every thursday and Sunday.
    She got 5 A's at AS and is en route to 5 A*'s with A2. (she got rejected from Cambridge after an Interview, and flat out rejected from Durham - Crazy **** i know.)

But ultimately she never seems to stressed out about ehr workload and is handling it all remarkably well. I think she's a special case though, not many people can do whatever the hell she does to keep sane with all that work i think. O_O.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kevin_123)
    I mean Further Maths and Maths sort of overlap don't they?
    They don't really "overlap", they follow on from each other. I wouldn't take Further Maths thinking "it's OK, it's just a bit more maths". It's a completely extra A-Level. Every topic you study will be much more difficult conceptually, and be much more substantial, content-wise, than anything you will have covered in the ordinary Maths A-Level.

The extra A-Level grade you get from Further Maths and the respect associated with it do not come for free :p:

ReputationRep:
    Five is alright usually, but doing it with that combination is just downright silly: most Universities will only accept one of Business and Economics due to overlapping content, so get rid of the Business, and just do the first four, and you'll be in a better position than if you did those 5.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.