The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Physics and Maths would be fine if you wanted to do a normal three A-levels, but even if you like them you will find the workload to be a bitch.

Drop at least one subject now - no British university wants more than three A-levels for any course. If you find four A-levels easy you can continue doing all four.
business studies isn't a hugely respected a'level. i'd drop it unless its relevant to the course you're doing.

and the thing that will kill you is the coursework. so check which of those a'levels have coursework, and how much each has.

i personally wouldnt recommend taking more than 2, 3 at a stretch a'levels with coursework. as it will naturally all come at the same time and be pretty stressful
Reply 3
Drop Business, it's useless, especially when you already have Economics.
Reply 4
It's been done by people at my school - but only AS. They usually drop one, or even two, when it comes to A2. Try this... or you could take them all, see how you find the work loads, and if it's too much drop your least favourite subject. The stress wouldn't be worth the overall grades though, if you get really stressed, no matter how bright you are.
Reply 5
Deleted
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 6
I do five A-levels, and I really wouldn't recommend it right now. You end up doing loads of exams, leaving less time to study for each, and have a much bigger workload during the rest of the year. This also means that you never have any time to revise for subjects, and never have any "free" time during school. Plus, it is pretty much no advantage over someone doing four when applying to university.
Drop business. 4 is fine.

Don't bother with BS..
Reply 9
Is Insane!
I don't think your GCSE grades justify you doing 5, also take history instead of business studies: universities don't like people taking economics and business studies. Also what exactly do you want to do? If it's economics at a top university then take maths further maths economics and history, if it's physics then take maths, further maths, physics and chemistry, if it's English literature take English, history, economics, maths and maybe another essay subject...

Other than English literature I would say that combination is fairly easy (I'm bad at English literature :P)
Reply 11
At my school it was the norm to do 4 proper AS levels and general studies, then drop one for the next year (and general studies, but you could do it if you really wanted to). So you'd end up with 3 A levels and 1 AS level. Some people did all 4 to A level, but I think it would have been a bit of a stretch to do 5.
I'm thinking of doing 5 as well: Maths, Further Maths, Economics, Chemistry and Physics.. I don't have any other "comitments" so I can spend all my time revising.. I have bad GCSEs so I feel like doing 5 AS levels and getting good results will make up for that (Not only from a university point of view)

Is it really THAT hard with another subject? I mean Further Maths and Maths sort of overlap don't they?
Aphotic Cosmos

Drop at least one subject now - no British university wants more than three A-levels for any course.

I think I've seen Imperial give out A*AAA offers this year.

Personally, I'd drop Business. It's not particularly respected, and English Lit will demonstrate your essay writing ability more than adequately.
Reply 14
kevin_123
I'm thinking of doing 5 as well: Maths, Further Maths, Economics, Chemistry and Physics.. I don't have any other "comitments" so I can spend all my time revising.. I have bad GCSEs so I feel like doing 5 AS levels and getting good results will make up for that (Not only from a university point of view)

Is it really THAT hard with another subject? I mean Further Maths and Maths sort of overlap don't they?

Not really, I know some schools will teach you the full A-level Maths course in a year if you wanna do FM (so you do that at a2).
MWrights
Hi guys, just have a question. I want to do 5 A levels:
English Literature
Physics
Maths
Economics
Business Studies

Will these be difficult to cope with? I have to submit my choices within two days, I got 3 A*'s 5 A's and 1 C in my GCSE mocks.

business is useless for uni, take the other 4 and just dont drop any after AS

btw mock is no representation of actual grade really, you could easily make those all a*s. or you could do what i did, and think they dont matter and fail at them
BS is BS. Drop it.
Reply 17
My friend did 5 AS levels and is currently still doign 5 A levels.
I don't have a clue how she copes, she's doing
Computing
Maths
Further Maths
English Language
and Tudor History.

On top of that she's one of these wacky Christian's who organises a Christian youth group and is at church every thursday and Sunday.
She got 5 A's at AS and is en route to 5 A*'s with A2. (she got rejected from Cambridge after an Interview, and flat out rejected from Durham - Crazy **** i know.)

But ultimately she never seems to stressed out about ehr workload and is handling it all remarkably well. I think she's a special case though, not many people can do whatever the hell she does to keep sane with all that work i think. O_O.
kevin_123
I mean Further Maths and Maths sort of overlap don't they?

They don't really "overlap", they follow on from each other. I wouldn't take Further Maths thinking "it's OK, it's just a bit more maths". It's a completely extra A-Level. Every topic you study will be much more difficult conceptually, and be much more substantial, content-wise, than anything you will have covered in the ordinary Maths A-Level.

The extra A-Level grade you get from Further Maths and the respect associated with it do not come for free :p:
Five is alright usually, but doing it with that combination is just downright silly: most Universities will only accept one of Business and Economics due to overlapping content, so get rid of the Business, and just do the first four, and you'll be in a better position than if you did those 5.

Latest