The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

If it helps I'm currently doing chemistry, biology, french, maths, further maths; that's 5 A levels but I've taken subjects with very little out-of-school workload (no essay subjects, and maths for us has no homework. Ever). Personally I find it perfectly managable. I got similarish GCSE's to your mocks (3 A*, 5A, 1 C but also 2Bs); however I also found I did better in the mocks than the actual exams, although that's because minimal effort was put in at the time. If all else fails try 5 and you can probably drop one early on in the course.
Reply 21
DJ AgnieszkaA
or you could do what i did, and think they dont matter and fail at them

... well unless you're going to some stupidly uptight Uni they don't matter as long as you pass them... not that i'm encouraging anyone to fail on purpose.
tazarooni89
They don't really "overlap", they follow on from each other. I wouldn't take Further Maths thinking "it's OK, it's just a bit more maths". It's a completely extra A-Level. Every topic you study will be much more difficult conceptually, and be much more substantial, content-wise, than anything you will have covered in the ordinary Maths A-Level.

The extra A-Level grade you get from Further Maths and the respect associated with it do not come for free :p:
Yeah I know it's hard, but what I meant was, they're sort of.. similiar.. surely it would be easier to do maths+FM than History and Chemistry? I mean, they're sort of related.. like if you had sex with two sisters you wouldn't really say you had sex with two people even though you did.. right?
Reply 23
Having Business Studies AND Economics will be redundant. Just do economics.
kevin_123
Yeah I know it's hard, but what I meant was, they're sort of.. similiar.. surely it would be easier to do maths+FM than History and Chemistry? I mean, they're sort of related.. like if you had sex with two sisters you wouldn't really say you had sex with two people even though you did.. right?

I wouldn't say it's any easier to do Maths and Further Maths than History and Chemistry really.

They're only related in the way that you can't do Further Maths unless you've done Maths, because the Further Maths course assumes a lot of previous knowledge. But the topics covered in Further Maths are completely new, and more difficult.

Let me put it this way: Doing History and Chemistry is like building two towers next to each other, while doing Maths and Further Maths is like building two towers on top of each other (i.e. one tower, double the height of the others). It doesn't make it any easier.

In fact, History and Chemistry might be a bit easier than Maths and Further Maths, because Further Maths requires you to go into the exam knowing two A-Level's worth of material.

Of course, if you are one of those people who are very good at Maths, I would recommend the Further Maths A-Level, it is very interesting and stimulating.
There was somebody in my school last year did 5 A levels nd he got 5 A's. thou he got 13 A*'s/A's @ GCSE.

im choosin my A levels nxt week our school we hav to do a minimum of 4 A levels, thou u can drop 1 after AS. im gonna do math (already got an A* in 1 year :smile:), ICT, Accounting and business studies. nd if i do well enough in AS math i'll probably do an AS in further math durin 7th year (year 13 to any1 in england)
Reply 26
Deleted
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 27
MWrights
Hi guys, just have a question. I want to do 5 A levels:
English Literature
Physics
Maths
Economics
Business Studies

Will these be difficult to cope with? I have to submit my choices within two days, I got 3 A*'s 5 A's and 1 C in my GCSE mocks.

Swap business studies.
Reply 28
MWrights
Hi guys, just have a question. I want to do 5 A levels:
English Literature
Physics
Maths
Economics
Business Studies

Will these be difficult to cope with? I have to submit my choices within two days, I got 3 A*'s 5 A's and 1 C in my GCSE mocks.

You don't need 5.
And english and maths will have a heavy workload.

Business is "soft" as you've already ot economics there's no way you'll need it.

Drop business :smile: unless you want to be working all the time lol.
MWrights
Thanks for all your responses guys, I've decided to drop 'BS'. Are the other 4 a good combination, English Lit, Maths , Physics and Economics?

Most people i kno hate either math OR eng. they never like both. but thats just who i kno.

hav u done your math GCSE in 1 year r will you be doin it in may/june? cause there is quite a BIG step between math GCSE nd A levell math. cause i did math in 1 year nd this year im doin additional math nd there is a very noticable difference between the two
GuessAgain
... well unless you're going to some stupidly uptight Uni they don't matter as long as you pass them... not that i'm encouraging anyone to fail on purpose.

tbh if you arent going to go to a stupidly uptight uni, i.e. like top 20 at least, theres no point in going at all.
every man and his dog can get a degree from a ***** uni, they arent worth anything
drop business studies
I'm not entirely sure what all the fuss is about...

The workload is manageable with 5/6 A2s - it's just a number :smile:
Reply 33
Not worth the bother at all. My friend has a conditional offer for Law at Oxford and he has to get AAABB. All the other offers for applicants with just 3 A2s are AAA. Really, why do it? Love for the subjects? You'd be better off just reading on your own, and probably get more enjoyment out of it.
Reply 34
Deleted.
(edited 11 years ago)
tazarooni89
I wouldn't say it's any easier to do Maths and Further Maths than History and Chemistry really.

They're only related in the way that you can't do Further Maths unless you've done Maths, because the Further Maths course assumes a lot of previous knowledge. But the topics covered in Further Maths are completely new, and more difficult.

Let me put it this way: Doing History and Chemistry is like building two towers next to each other, while doing Maths and Further Maths is like building two towers on top of each other (i.e. one tower, double the height of the others). It doesn't make it any easier.

In fact, History and Chemistry might be a bit easier than Maths and Further Maths, because Further Maths requires you to go into the exam knowing two A-Level's worth of material.

Of course, if you are one of those people who are very good at Maths, I would recommend the Further Maths A-Level, it is very interesting and stimulating.
Makes sense.. And yeah I've pretty much always been good at maths although will probably only get an A at GCSE which is mostly because I was put in a lower set where everyone seems to be aiming for a C so the teacher doesn't go beyond B stuff.. I'm doing as much as I can at home though so I might be able to get an A*

Another thing though, I asked my teacher if I could do Further Maths and she said no. Can I do it anyway? She doesn't think I'm that good at maths but thats because I'm in a stupid lower set where I'm not getting tought the good stuff..
kevin_123
Makes sense.. And yeah I've pretty much always been good at maths although will probably only get an A at GCSE which is mostly because I was put in a lower set where everyone seems to be aiming for a C so the teacher doesn't go beyond B stuff.. I'm doing as much as I can at home though so I might be able to get an A*

GCSE Maths was (in my opinion) extremely easy - half my school year got A*s, and the rest mostly got A's. So if you think you're good at Maths, an A* shouldn't be too much of a problem!

Another thing though, I asked my teacher if I could do Further Maths and she said no. Can I do it anyway? She doesn't think I'm that good at maths but thats because I'm in a stupid lower set where I'm not getting tought the good stuff..

Well it depends - schools are completely entitled to not enter you for a particular subject. I don't know whether you're teacher is saying "No, we will not enter you for that A-Level" or just "No, I don't think you're good enough to do it".
If you absolutely must do a Further Maths A-Level, there's always the option of doing it privately though...
Reply 37
Chemistry, Biology, Physics, Maths, English lit and Gen studies here lol
tazarooni89
GCSE Maths was (in my opinion) extremely easy - half my school year got A*s, and the rest mostly got A's. So if you think you're good at Maths, an A* shouldn't be too much of a problem!

Well it depends - schools are completely entitled to not enter you for a particular subject. I don't know whether you're teacher is saying "No, we will not enter you for that A-Level" or just "No, I don't think you're good enough to do it".
If you absolutely must do a Further Maths A-Level, there's always the option of doing it privately though...
Well, I know I can easily get an A* I'm just not being tought the A/A* things so I have to do that on my own.. on top of teaching my self three Science modules on my own. My teacher is kind of old and doesn't seem "with it".. like before she said that £20,000 was a "Very good Salary".. she makes mistakes all the time and just confuses everyone (not me because I usually spot her mistakes).. so in the lessons I need to constantly be aware of any mistakes she might make.. pretty annoying..

Latest