Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Today, I have seen three people yawn and not cover their mouths with their hands.

I was shocked, but when I pointed this out to a friend, she said that I was being really picky and old-fashioned, and other friends overheard us talking and laughed at me!

Is it no longer proper etiquette to cover you mouth with your hand when you yawn? Am I being really ridiculous?! :confused:

ReputationRep:
    We've all seen mouths before.

It's not exactly shocking.

IMHO, whilst I can kind of understand where you're coming from, society has moved past etiquette for the sake of etiquette.

ReputationRep:
    I try to cover my mouth if I'm yawning widely, but unfortunately find that most of the time when I yawn I automatically try to force my mouth shut, causing a lot of muscle pain in the area underneath my tongue. :p:

Useless information, there.

ReputationRep:
    I try to avoid opening my mouth when yawning in public. I have a similar issue with holding sneezes in. :p:

There are more important things to be concerned about tbh.
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    Depends, sometimes yawns just come! It's like premature ejaculation, you're expecting it, but not that soon and not quite so large.

ReputationRep:
    I cover my mouth, but a lot of people don't. it's not as big a deal anymore - though more often than not I notice people pulling the face where they're keeping there mouth shut but not yawning. It's the weirdest thing ever to watch! :lol:

ReputationRep:
    This thread made me yawn.

OP - I do try to cover my mouth though.

ReputationRep:
    *yawn rape*

I always cover my mouth, and give people who don't filthy stares.

ReputationRep:
    I'm yawning now, thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Well.....

I cover my mouth when I can, but don't really all time with mates.

I make sure every time my closest mates mouth is open for a yawn he gets yawn raped - good times (i have the mental age of a 5 year old at times)

ReputationRep:
    It's proper etiquette to do a little hail mary over your mouth when you yawn.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maxfire)
    *yawn rape*
    I was about to post that! :suith:

(Original post by rainbowbex)
    Depends, sometimes yawns just come! It's like premature ejaculation, you're expecting it, but not that soon and not quite so large.
    :zomg:

And max, I thought the term was mouth rape?

ReputationRep:
    But the first person who yawned without covering her mouth was stood talking to a teacher at the time! Surely that's just rude?!

(Original post by maxfire)
    *yawn rape*
    erm... what's a yawn rape?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by be.nice.I'm.new.:))

Sticking your fingers in someones mouth when they are yawning!!! :woo: :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by be.nice.I'm.new.:))
    Its when you shove your fist down someones throat when they are yawning

ReputationRep:
    yes you are very stupid

ReputationRep:
    Eww.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.