Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lotpot)
    Seriously you need to actually understand the meaning of natural selection, we are not hunters when we "hunt" if we were we ould do it to feed on the fox, prey is an animal that is hunted by a predator for the benefit of the prey being a source of food. From first hand experience I also know what a fox does but it does not do it out of greed its the way it kills I dont actually no why but besides the point if they need to be exterminated then they should but in a more humane way. Everyone says shooting has loads of problems associated with it but so does hunting with dogs, I'd rather instead of paying all that money to enter the hunt give that to the farmers to protect their stock more.
    I assume you mean fencing? You cannot fence an entire farm; it’s too expensive and even undesirable to do so as it restricts movement of other wildlife like hares and rabbits. Lets say we have a small copse surrounded by fields, fence that off then were do the foxes go? How do they feed if they can’t get out and about, what about the deer, hare etc which may also use the copse? What about public footpaths? Should we fence off the public footpaths which would restrict the movement of our own livestock and quite frankly be blight on the countryside. Oh and foxes are quite capable of digging, ever though of that?

The hunt also provide a good service for farmers by taking dead stock to feed the hounds, without the hounds we have to pay something like £80 to get dead animals removed from the farm.

ReputationRep:
    Seriously you need to actually understand the meaning of natural selection, we are not hunters when we "hunt" if we were we ould do it to feed on the fox, prey is an animal that is hunted by a predator for the benefit of the prey being a source of food. From first hand experience I also know what a fox does but it does not do it out of greed its the way it kills I dont actually no why but besides the point if they need to be exterminated then they should but in a more humane way. Everyone says shooting has loads of problems associated with it but so does hunting with dogs, I'd rather instead of paying all that money to enter the hunt give that to the farmers to protect their stock more.
    You are not paying that money, other people are choosing to. Whether it is an efficient method of pest control or 'has loads of problems associated with it' is irrelevant - it is their choice to make, and their efficiency to sacrifice. What people object to is your authoritarian attempts to force a less efficient, more damaging, more dangerous and crueller method upon them at the expense of their traditions - not by reason, but by the brute violence of the State.

we are not hunters when we "hunt"
    O RLY?

prey is an animal that is hunted by a predator for the benefit of the prey being a source of food.
    Ludicrous use of a semantic argument.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Riderz)
    If you can give me a good alternative that stands up to the following criteria then I will consider other forms of control. Until you can suggest one then hunting is, and will be, the best method;

-A clean kill (ie <5s)
    -Doest wipe out the whole population
    -Selects the weaker members
    -Doesnt affect the mothers when they have cubs
    -Does not cause injury to the fox except death. No half measures such as broken bones or long term injuries.

Every single other method (trapping or shooting are the only other legal methods) has serious problems with every one of those criteria.
    The thing I object to in fox hunting is the fact that essentially it's done by people who also have a social stake in it as a sport. Or put more clearly, I have met a vast majority of our local hunt, they are nutters and should not be involved in the fate of a species. One of them very nearly killed me by riding his horse over the top of me when I was 12 and didn't even stop to check and see if I was ok. Bonkers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Holly Hiskey)
    The thing I object to in fox hunting is the fact that essentially it's done by people who also have a social stake in it as a sport. Or put more clearly, I have met a vast majority of our local hunt, they are nutters and should not be involved in the fate of a species. One of them very nearly killed me by riding his horse over the top of me when I was 12 and didn't even stop to check and see if I was ok. Bonkers
    So you object to the people who do it rather than the hunt itself? Well if thats not just a class war then I dont know what is. :rolleyes:

If you have an argument against the sport rather than the people who do it then i'll listen, but your argument is no more valid than me saying "I hate badminton players because one of them nearly hit me."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Riderz)
    So you object to the people who do it rather than the hunt itself? Well if thats not just a class war then I dont know what is. :rolleyes:

If you have an argument against the sport rather than the people who do it then i'll listen, but your argument is no more valid than me saying "I hate badminton players because one of them nearly hit me."
    No, there's a fairly diverse mix of classes who do it, as I understand. What I object to is that it's a pastime and whilst these people may have been riding etc for a long time I can't help but feel that there's a more effective way of doing it rather than 50 people on horses charging around the countryside with dogs. Obviously you're going to jump in here with the "shooting potentially leaves the animal horribl maimed etc etc" but I'm not trying to suggest a better method because I know I'll be flooded with hundreds of reasons why that methods is worse and we won't ever get anywhere
    And it's not really like your example because having a shuttlecock hit you is not comparable to a person nearly riding a horse over your 12 year old skull and then not stopping to check if you're fine or to apologise, given that although I was playing in a wood and thus their vision may have been obscured by the trees, they definitely saw me as for a few brief seconds I was right in front of them

ReputationRep:
    The ten pounds it costs to hunt with my hunt would go no where to helping a farmer protect his farm.
    Other animals and micro organims can feed of the fox carcus. It's only one fox not a mass cull like you seem to think happens

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.