Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm 14, done violin for 3 years, but only on grade 2 (i'm doing my grade 3 in september/november time)
    what it is that's been getting to me is that there are children who are about 10 years old and on grade 5 :eek: . I don't really want to do anything musical when I'm older, but i do like the subject:yep:
    is being grade 2/3 at 14 ok or is it too old?

ReputationRep:
    Thats good, keep at it. Grades help but they are not the be all and end all. Just because someone has an A* in Music it does not make them the best musician just means that according to the mark scheme they are, and in real life everyones mark scheme is differently.

Grade 2 is a good start anyway I'm 18 been playing guitar about 6 years and I'm about grade 5 but I've never taken any actual grades as I dont see how I will gain too much from it

Violins are cool too , Good luck

ReputationRep:
    I'm 14, have been doing violin for 2yrs, and I'm just doing my grade 2 next month.
    I don't know about GCSEs, but to get a 1 with your first instrument in standard grade music, you only need to be grade 3.
    Were you're at's fine if you're not wanting to do anything very very musical in the future!

ReputationRep:
    I've been playing the violin for 11 years now, and really, those grades aren't all they're cracked up to be. I stopped doing them at Grade 5, after already skipping a couple, and I'm so glad I did so. Enjoy the music and the playing of the instrument, don't tie yourself down to learning so and so scale with such and such bowing.

ReputationRep:
    I'm nearly 18 and I only have grade 1 ;P

Lemme see... I played violin years 4-6, then 8-10, so six years and I got to grade 5 standard-ish. Maaann I really want to play violin again...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.