Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Good morning/afternoon/evening gents and non-gents.

I'm studying a computing honours degree at a less-than-prestigious university and my grades are fairly high-standard - nearly always around 72%, mostly above 70% - but quite frankly I'm not convinced that this is any serious sign of intelligence.

The courseworks I'm getting set and the tests I'm sitting really are not overly complex or stressing and I feel like the grade I'm getting isn't any proof of comptency. Doubled up with the idea that if it really wasn't that hard, why wasn't my mark higher? Surely someone truly brilliant would get a constant stream of 90+'s if it wasn't too difficult?

I'm feeling like an idiot since my grades aren't too high and the work's not massively challenging, but this results in the catch-22 of work not hard enough not having high enough a mark, but the high marks I DO get are discounted because the work wasn't hard enough (:eek3:). Are my fears grounded or am I in fact the bright student I desperately wish to be?

Many thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    Lets start again shall we? go...

if you're in your first year, then expect it to get harder.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ham22)
    if you're in your first year, then expect it to get harder.
    Good point, didn't mention. Second-year.

ReputationRep:
    Why do you care? If you come out with a first in one or two years time, you'll be a in a great position. Is it a subject you've done at A level but previous study wasn't compulsory?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JW92)
    Why do you care?
    Quite frankly I'm not comfortable with the idea of having a qualification that tries to say "Awesome guy" but doesn't show that. I'm looking to become a pretty high-standard professional rather than just landing a job that pays the bills.

ReputationRep:
    What do you mean by "less-than-prestigious"? How "less-than-prestigious" are we talking here?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pridethunder)
    Good morning/afternoon/evening gents and non-gents.

I'm studying a computing honours degree at a less-than-prestigious university and my grades are fairly high-standard - nearly always around 72%, mostly above 70% - but quite frankly I'm not convinced that this is any serious sign of intelligence.

The courseworks I'm getting set and the tests I'm sitting really are not overly complex or stressing and I feel like the grade I'm getting isn't any proof of comptency. Doubled up with the idea that if it really wasn't that hard, why wasn't my mark higher? Surely someone truly brilliant would get a constant stream of 90+'s if it wasn't too difficult?

I'm feeling like an idiot since my grades aren't too high and the work's not massively challenging, but this results in the catch-22 of work not hard enough not having high enough a mark, but the high marks I DO get are discounted because the work wasn't hard enough (:eek3:). Are my fears grounded or am I in fact the bright student I desperately wish to be?

Many thanks in advance.
    I have never met, nor heard of, anyone getting in the 90s at university. It isn't like school where you can get 100% for an essay.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabertooth)
    I have never met, nor heard of, anyone getting in the 90s at university. It isn't like school where you can get 100% for an essay.
    A guy on my course averaged 93% in his exams at the end of last semester, but he's a geek with no social life at all :p:

ReputationRep:
    I have. He averaged something horrific like 95%. Physics with Astrophysics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TShadow383)
    A guy on my course averaged 93% in his exams at the end of last semester, but he's a geek with no social life at all :p:
    (Original post by thatwhichiam)
    I have. He averaged something horrific like 95%. Physics with Astrophysics.
    Well, thank you both for proving me wrong. :p:

Not common though. :hmmm:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Well, thank you both for proving me wrong. :p:

Not common though. :hmmm:
    I know someone at Solent who never got less than 90%. Mind, it is Solent. :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    Only tends to be essay/arts subjects that you can't get 100% in.

Science examiners are not too arrogant to think you can't be as smart as them!

ReputationRep:
    I got 102% for my advanced maths and statistics exam

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.