Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys!

I'm just looking for people's experiences/opinions of living in halls. Honest honest honest!! No rose tinted views please

The backstory is that I'm going to be 24 shortly after the start of the academic year and I have direct entry to 2nd year however if I want to live on campus as a new undergraduate (even though it's not 1st year) Ihave to stay in halls which will mainly be dominated by young people away from home for the first time.

Now I like to have time to chill out, study... even sleep occasionally!! I also like to be clean (especially with kitchens/bathrooms).

Tell me now... will I hate halls? Or will I learn to cope lol!

ReputationRep:
    Depends entirely upon your flatmates and the attitude you choose to take to any given situation.

You'll have plenty of time to chill out and study and sleep and all that good stuff - halls can be noisy but it won't be all the time, and it depends greatly on your particular halls anyway. It will be as clean as either you clean it or as messy as your flatmates are...goes one way or the other. Likely it'll be kind of gross but you learn to live with it and work round it.

ReputationRep:
    Honestly? Well, I was 24 when I moved into halls to start my degree.

Pros: A great way to meet people, during the first term you have a ready supply of people to spend time with so you don't end up feeling a loner, and I'm now planning to live with a couple of people from my halls in September

Cons: The kitchen - I frequently have to throw out mouldy food that other people seem to have 'forgotten' about, food gets stolen, people use your stuff without asking and leave it in a state. All it takes is for a couple of inconsiderate kitchen mates and it messes it up for everyone. There are ten people in my kitchen so fridge space can also get very competitive.
    The noise in halls is my main problem. You may get lucky and get quiet neighbours, or you may end up on a noisy corridor where people have speaker systems that sound similar to those in clubs, and have friends round at all hours.

Basically it comes down to luck of the draw really. I survive on daytime naps when no-one else is around and by pretending that I can't see the mess in the kitchen so it just depends how much you think you will be prepared to deal with.

Hope this helps!

ReputationRep:
    and don't expect to be able to reason with people about their noise either!
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    A lot depends on your flatmates. You may be able to get ensuite/a flat mature students/a 'quiet' hall, although that doesn't mean it will be any different really, as it does depend on a lot of factors.

ReputationRep:
    As others have said, it really depends on who you get put with. You could get put with perfectly nice, reasonable people, but there's also a large chance you could get put with complete pigs who don't even know how to flush a toilet, let alone clean a kitchen. There's also a large chance you'll end up with a neighbor that seems to be running a small nightclub in their room and who will act as though you've just murdered their parents and smeared feces all over them if you dare to complain about your room pounding and vibrating 24/7.

ReputationRep:
    I know Mousedust and know what she means . Let me tell you all the truth. Halls are ridiculously expensive ( John Dodgson House is £653 a month ) the kitchens are **** and although Im lucky to be in a very quiet corridor, it doesnt stop the management looking for ANY excuse to impose group collective fines ****** messages through your door or running pointless fire drills at 1 30 in the morning. The laundry room is filthy, we have rats and cockroaches ( the giant Ameican ones that you can hear as they clatter across the floor in the 'en suite bathroom' --- which is a 1metre square cubicle that if you are over 6 foot you cant use properly and which floods . Last week the water was switched off for 2 days. Most of the time the TV room is closed through 'vandalism' . No TV aerial sockets work in any room. Not being xenophobic but the Chinese glee club singing Mlama Mlia at flull volume by Abba on the odd occasion the TV room is open, and dominating through sheer numbers the kitchens with rice cookers, refusing to even say hi to anyone not from Asia and chucking their **** everywhere for everyone else to plick up isnt exactly appealing either.
    DONT COME HERE GET A FLAT OR A ROOM WITH FRIENDS OR ASSOCIATES

ReputationRep:
    When it comes to halls it really is the luck of the draw, with flatmates anyway. If you visit the university there is a chance you'll have some idea of the accommodation options however your future flatmates will be a complete unknown.

Last year I ticked the box for "quiet halls", this is not what I got. I ended up living with a boy so utterly irritating that it took all the willpower I could muster to keep myself from punching him on several occasions.

Keep in mind that you will all have different expectations, some people will spend their first day worrying about sharing a shower, or the possibility of a dirty kitchen and all that. Whereas other people will prop their door open, set some music playing and immediately crack open the beers. Eventually personalities will clash and there'll be pointless fights over god knows what and you'll be so glad you own the biggest sound system there, to drown out the sound of people shouting upstairs, or the squeaking bed next door.

Halls are a fun experience, however the environment can take some getting used to. Tolerance is a virtue when living with randoms, sadly it's a virtue I lack. Roll on my fourth year, back in halls with the kids. Yay!

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Downing Students

Universal Student Living

“Over 25 years of perfecting the student accommodation experience. Downing Students. Accommodation Made for you”

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.

Articles:

Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.