Turn on thread page Beta

Short guys, how do you cope? watch

I'm a guy, 21, and 5' 6.

Personally, I have never been too conscious of my height but after failing to attract a couple of girls I liked my mates suggested it could be because I was a 'midget'.

So for the last couple of months I have become increasingly self-conscious of my height and whilst on a hospital work placement, I realised that doctors (my future profession) are invariably tall and I am convinced that this is a factor conferring respect.

I have yet to meet a male med student shorter than me and am considering growth hormone treatment. Is this a good idea? How are other short males out there coping?

ReputationRep:
    Hey, im not extactly short but in my area i am im 5'7ish. iv just build my self up majorly over the years (muscle), that helps quite a bit.

ReputationRep:
    i'm roughly 5"6, and tbh, I dont really find it too much of a problem (apart from the obvious reaching high things), in many ways, its just part of who I am.

ReputationRep:
    I'm 17, an inch or so shorter than you. I've pretty much stopped growing, but tbh I'm not that bothered by it. Your height will only affect or impede you if you let it do so, accept it and everything'll go much better.

ReputationRep:
    Its not about your height... its how you apply yourself

ReputationRep:
    D'awww.

(Original post by ChrisBan)
    Its not about your height... its how you apply yourself
    I apply myself to the world like a bad ************, that's how.

Erm... by taking anabolic steroids, lifting lorries in the gym and compensating with a hostile and overly aggressive demeanour.

ReputationRep:
    I'm 20, and about 5"5.

I'm very self-conscious about my height, but there isn't anything I can do about it.

ReputationRep:
    Find an even shorter girl, worked for me :p:

And as for the future career thing, I don't see how it will be an issue; there are people on my course as short as you are and I'm only a couple of inches taller. It's not about height that commands respect, it's how you put yourself across.

ReputationRep:
    I always considered myself quite short at 5'8.

However, I'm quite muscular so that kind of makes me appear taller. Also, since being a baby i've walked on my tiptoes ALOT so quite often I appear taller.

I'd also advise getting good posture ... It not only makes you feel taller but it makes you appear it too!

Oh not another one of these threads! OP read this http://www.seductiontuition.com/john...act-girls.html
    follow the advice and you'll be cool.

ReputationRep:
    Platform Shoes baby.

Bringing Sexy Back.

ReputationRep:
    Height does not automatically gain respect. What is there even to suggest that?

ReputationRep:
    Short guys date short ladies. You aren't a midget.

ReputationRep:
    PLEASE don't make up for it with arrogance as some do.

And I met someone on holiday who was a med student and was about 5'4. Don't worry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Oh not another one of these threads! OP read this http://www.seductiontuition.com/john...act-girls.html
    follow the advice and you'll be cool.
    basically you want to give OP little man syndrome, I'm not sure that is going to achieve anything (apart from appealing to stereotypes)

(Original post by Skadoosh)
    Height does not automatically gain respect. What is there even to suggest that?
    I heard something about managers getting to their positions because they were tall and looked up to :teehee:, and I was like 'FML', but this was before FML was invented, so I didn't say exactly that, but something to that effect.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.antyfacet.com.pl/NoTabu.jpg

ReputationRep:
    I'm 5'6, am about to go to medical school (obviously providing i get the grades), and I'm not really that bothered anymore. If there are any patients that don't respect you because of your height, just beat them down with your stethoscope (Manchester- if you're reading this, I obviously do not condone patient abuse :P )

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 10, 2010
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.