Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Not bothered. I'm only 5'3-5'4 and I dont see a reason to be bothered by it as most of my family are around my height.

ReputationRep:
    cope with what?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I'm a guy, 21, and 5' 6.

Personally, I have never been too conscious of my height but after failing to attract a couple of girls I liked my mates suggested it could be because I was a 'midget'.

So for the last couple of months I have become increasingly self-conscious of my height and whilst on a hospital work placement, I realised that doctors (my future profession) are invariably tall and I am convinced that this is a factor conferring respect.

I have yet to meet a male med student shorter than me and am considering growth hormone treatment. Is this a good idea? How are other short males out there coping?
    I am you height, and a med student. I know one guy in my year who is probably 5'3/4.
    Height is not a barrier to entry for med in anyway, nor is it needed for respect.

As for me, I cope just fine thanks, I dont think I have ever been concious of my height.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a guy, 21, and 5' 6.

Personally, I have never been too conscious of my height but after failing to attract a couple of girls I liked my mates suggested it could be because I was a 'midget'.

So for the last couple of months I have become increasingly self-conscious of my height and whilst on a hospital work placement, I realised that doctors (my future profession) are invariably tall and I am convinced that this is a factor conferring respect.

I have yet to meet a male med student shorter than me and am considering growth hormone treatment. Is this a good idea? How are other short males out there coping?
    I'm 21 and the same height and I have no trouble.

Secondly, off the top of my head I can think of 5 short doctors that I know, two of whom are consultants who quite clearly do not suffer from a lack of respect.

Finally and most importantly, growth hormone will not make you grow taller at this age. The epiphyseal plates have sealed, hormone supplementation will make you look like a goon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clunge)
    PLEASE don't make up for it with arrogance as some do.

And I met someone on holiday who was a med student and was about 5'4. Don't worry.
    lol, username: clunge. Do they make them all like you at Chesire? luv it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jbanjeet)
    http://www.antyfacet.com.pl/NoTabu.jpg
    This.

ReputationRep:
    Posture.

You'd be surprised at yourself at how bad most peoples posture is and how it make you feel/look taller. Also gain some muscle (do not over do) and lose some fat.

ReputationRep:
    I’m short, n a girl
    Doesn’t really bother me
    My mum says I will be bothered when I’m older tho
    The only thing that annoys me, is that ppl think I’m sooo cute; when I am seriously not, I go to school n I get these sixth form guys tellin my friends how cute I am
    Nyway soz got a bit carried away
    Why is being short such a big problem? You’re stuck with it so learn to love it, i swear i wudn’t be me if I wasn’t short. Seriously, don’t think about growth hormones coz it has side effects and its just so fake, wud u be satisfied by knowing u look like something yr actually not?
    Someday u’ll meet a girl who u really like and she’ll like u bk, she won’t care about how short u r. Coz thts love

p.s i wanna b a doctor too, nd I WILL B A SHORT 1
    so who cares there not gonna kill me

ReputationRep:
    Nelson, Stalin, Napoleon...all 5'3ish. Yet they killed loads of people. Not all bad.

ReputationRep:
    Be a baller bro
    http://mintwiki.pbworks.com/f/123556...rm%20Shoes.jpg

ReputationRep:
    I'm a guy, 21, and 5' 6.

i'm 5"6 and i'm happy about it, height doesn't matter, its a silly thing to be self conscious about. most of my friends are taller than me (well, all except one) and i always say to them, girls like short guys they're envious of me

ReputationRep:
    I'm 19 and 5'11 and think im short, dont worry about it mate, some good days I feel like 6ft but that rarely happens lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skadoosh)
    Height does not automatically gain respect. What is there even to suggest that?
    I've read several times that height does affect level of respect on a subconscious level. There are plenty of short successful men though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grape:))
    Short guys date short ladies.
    I call B.S. on it, I'm 5'5", none of my girlfriends were shorter than 5'7", 5'8", one of them was even 6 feet.

It's all about proper attitude - both of a short person and a girl. If a short height is enough for a girl to reject me, then she's just not worth my time. And we probably wouldn't get on very well anyway, as I don't like tight-minded people.

(Original post by LOV3R)
    I'm 19 and 5'11 and think im short, dont worry about it mate, some good days I feel like 6ft but that rarely happens lol.
    Likewise but 20. I'm also very broad (not fat, just naturally broad) which makes me look 5'8-9 sometimes.

It's got nothing to do with height. It's who you are & how you come across which commands respect. I'm one of the youngest at work yet have people much older/experienced looking to me for advice, both taller & shorter. You command respect with your knowledge & intelligence, not your height.

As for women, I've seen plenty of men your height with women, usually their own height.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skadoosh)
    Height does not automatically gain respect. What is there even to suggest that?
    Height does gain respect, in a more natural/instinctive way....You'll probably say "Proof?" ......Use the google feature.

ReputationRep:
    Likewise but 20. I'm also very broad (not fat, just naturally broad) which makes me look 5'8-9 sometimes.

It's got nothing to do with height. It's who you are & how you come across which commands respect. I'm one of the youngest at work yet have people much older/experienced looking to me for advice, both taller & shorter. You command respect with your knowledge & intelligence, not your height.

As for women, I've seen plenty of men your height with women, usually their own height.
    Mate you know something, recently I have seen girls who are really tall, I mean the have tall legs and because you might be 1 inch shorter than you, they dont look twice, more and more white girls are going really tall, these days kids are giants, what do you think dude.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LOV3R)
    You're actually tall, I wish I was your height (im 5''8).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dynamitri)
    I call B.S. on it, I'm 5'5", none of my girlfriends were shorter than 5'7", 5'8", one of them was even 6 feet.

It's all about proper attitude - both of a short person and a girl. If a short height is enough for a girl to reject me, then she's just not worth my time. And we probably wouldn't get on very well anyway, as I don't like tight-minded people.
    Actually, my implication is that if a short person isn't desired in general by tall people (I'm not saying this is the case) that I'm sure there are other short ladies out there.

Also, who are you to call someone tight minded for rejecting you because of your height, I personally think that's quite arrogant... who are you to tell people what they should find attractive? :lolwut:

(Original post by LOV3R)
    Mate you know something, recently I have seen girls who are really tall, I mean the have tall legs and because you might be 1 inch shorter than you, they dont look twice, more and more white girls are going really tall, these days kids are giants, what do you think dude.
    Women are getting taller, & men. I have a girlfriend so don't really look at other women in that way. Most women I see are still short, but there's definitely a fair few around the 5'8-9+ mark. Like I said I'm quite broad, with shoes on I'm 6'+ so don't really find women taller than me.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 10, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.