Turn on thread page Beta

Thinking of leaving sixth form to go to FE college... watch

ReputationRep:
    I am currently in year 12 studying Chemistry, English Language and History (also studied Physics but dropped it). I recently found that I just didn't enjoy the majority of my subjects. Chemistry I just can't get my head round and every lesson tell myself I shouldn't of taken it, English Language I thoughtI would enjoy because I like writing but I don't seem to have any active interest in any of the technical details. The only subject I do enjoy is History (been getting A's in all of my essays etc.). I feel as though at this rate I'll come out with ADU, which isn't something I want. I like the sound of the Btec National diploma for ICT practitioners because I do have an active interest in computers and feel I would enjoy my studies learning about this. I also like the sound of a degree in computing (Compsi or software engineering). However do I need GCSE IT to understand this course?
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone? Please?

ReputationRep:
    Do it, although with a BTEC you may not be accepted at some unis, Im not sure exactly what a BTEC for ICT involves, but Computer Science is way advanced and is more programming and stuff than the basics they teach you at A level Computing. So i'd find out where you would be happy to apply for Uni, and what the BTEC involves.

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry, I'm not aiming for top universities as I'm looking to stay quite near to home. Do you have any knowledge on whether or not you need GCSE ICT for the Btec?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mito)
    I am currently in year 12 studying Chemistry, English Language and History (also studied Physics but dropped it). I recently found that I just didn't enjoy the majority of my subjects. Chemistry I just can't get my head round and every lesson tell myself I shouldn't of taken it, English Language I thoughtI would enjoy because I like writing but I don't seem to have any active interest in any of the technical details. The only subject I do enjoy is History (been getting A's in all of my essays etc.). I feel as though at this rate I'll come out with ADU, which isn't something I want. I like the sound of the Btec National diploma for ICT practitioners because I do have an active interest in computers and feel I would enjoy my studies learning about this. I also like the sound of a degree in computing (Compsi or software engineering). However do I need GCSE IT to understand this course?
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.
    That's a shame you're not enjoying your subjects. I know a lot of people are surprised by the content of the English Language A Level and everyone says Chem is really hard.

History, of course, is just fantastic always

On the other hand, have you considered doing A Levels in computing and maths etc. You could do History as well since you seem good at it. There's nothing to stop you starting new A Levels in Sept.

If you really want to do the BTEC, however, and A Levels definitely aren't for you, then check with your local college to see whether GCSE IT is a requirement. They may start it from scratch or just require GCSE Maths or something. They'll be the best people to talk to. What Level BTEC is it? Level 3 is equivalent to A Levels, Level 2 to GCSE. You may be able to do Level 2 if they require ICT to that standard before you can progress to Level 3 but it's not something I know about, I'm afraid.

As a side note, I dropped out of sixth form to go to college and it was the best decision I've ever made.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leto)
    That's a shame you're not enjoying your subjects. I know a lot of people are surprised by the content of the English Language A Level and everyone says Chem is really hard.

History, of course, is just fantastic always

On the other hand, have you considered doing A Levels in computing and maths etc. You could do History as well since you seem good at it. There's nothing to stop you starting new A Levels in Sept.

If you really want to do the BTEC, however, and A Levels definitely aren't for you, then check with your local college to see whether GCSE IT is a requirement. They may start it from scratch or just require GCSE Maths or something. They'll be the best people to talk to. What Level BTEC is it? Level 3 is equivalent to A Levels, Level 2 to GCSE. You may be able to do Level 2 if they require ICT to that standard before you can progress to Level 3 but it's not something I know about, I'm afraid.

As a side note, I dropped out of sixth form to go to college and it was the best decision I've ever made.
    Well my school doesn't offer computing and maths is a no go (C at GCSE). The Btec sounds good, I know that if I'm interested in the subject then I'll do the work because I wantto learn about it. My local college (West Cheshire) is a vocational college so they don't offer A levels. Oh yes and I'm looking at a level 3 course here.

P.S Yes, History is fantastic, but I don't think its worth staying for one subject :thumbsdown:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mito)
    Well my school doesn't offer computing and maths is a no go (C at GCSE). The Btec sounds good, I know that if I'm interested in the subject then I'll do the work because I wantto learn about it. My local college (West Cheshire) is a vocational college so they don't offer A levels. Oh yes and I'm looking at a level 3 course here.

P.S Yes, History is fantastic, but I don't think its worth staying for one subject :thumbsdown:
    Your local college only does vocational subjects?

Well, if you're serious about going into computing type stuff then it looks like a BTEC is a good option for you. Once completed, you can progress to a BTEC Higher National Diploma or a degree- the HND is an equivalent qualification and may be a good option for you because it'll have a large vocational aspect. Well, it's equivalent to the first two years of a degree course, I think and can be used for admissions to certain universities.

You'll have to check uni requirements for a degree in computing though because not all will accept a BTEC for admission. I think I read further up that you want to stay local so check out your local unis and see what they say- you'll want to know what your options are once you've completed your course. The HND I mentioned above can sometimes be done in FE colleges or I think in some universities, or higher education colleges certainly- HND will definitely accept a Level 3 BTEC.

You may also want to talk to a careers adviser type person for further advice.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I rang the college and I've got an appointment to see the tutor next Friday for a chat (chat? CHAT! My school would never have a chat!) and she also said I don't need GCSE ICT :bigsmile: . Its some good news because I got my Chemistry Unit 3 mark back today and I got a borderline E/U :ashamed2:

ReputationRep:
    Major bump here but I've not been on here since this discussion.

I find it amusing reading back what I said as I can't believe I was ever so worried

I never left sixth form, I dropped Chem and took Media at AS to gain some extra points. Long story short I'm going to Bangor University in September after getting BBD (E in Media but I never took it seriously) to study History.
    Basically, if you got your ASs and you a scared about the future then just stick it out and it'll all pay off

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mito)
    English Language I thoughtI would enjoy because I like writing but I don't seem to have any active interest in any of the technical details. The only subject I do enjoy is History (been getting A's in all of my essays etc.).
    If you are interested more in writing, than the technical aspects, have you thought of English Literature?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mito)
    Major bump here but I've not been on here since this discussion.

I find it amusing reading back what I said as I can't believe I was ever so worried

I never left sixth form, I dropped Chem and took Media at AS to gain some extra points. Long story short I'm going to Bangor University in September after getting BBD (E in Media but I never took it seriously) to study History.
    Basically, if you got your ASs and you a scared about the future then just stick it out and it'll all pay off
    woah, well done! (:

do not go to an FE college!!!!

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.