Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mr eko)
    Seriously? They have sweet lives if that's their worst decision.

I never went either. I don't really regret it that much. If I went back in time I guess I'd go but it's not just another night, OP just do what you feel like.
    Seriously?

A few are in the army so they kind of wished they enjoyed and chilled the last time before we all went our seperate ways.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't go to my prom for the exact same reason as you they were all massive tits...so i didn't, my friends understood though. Stick with your decision.

ReputationRep:
    seriously don't go then. I went because I felt pressured into it, even though I didn't want to go, and had a pretty **** time, wish I hadn't bothered. Plus there was like hiring clothes and stuff for it, so it was quite an expensive thing especially since I didn't want to go. It's overrated crap imo.

But try to ensure you have something to do on that night instead, because sitting in your room might make you feel a bit crap dwelling on it and stuff. So sort something fun out and enjoy yourself.

ReputationRep:
    Ohhh i know how you feel!
    It's the same with me, 'why don't you ever come to 6th form partiesss?' Because with all due respect love, it's hard enough to bloody cope with you in school, i don't think i would make it through the night without sticking a fork through your head.
    I'd much rather hang out in a place full of people i don't really know know what i mean? it's much more funn.
    Just tell them how you feel, if they respect you then they should respect your decision!

ReputationRep:
    Then don't go to prom.

And screw your so-called 'friends'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bigjoebob90)
    plus you get to buy a new dress! Never met a girl who wasn't excited about that!
    *Raises hand* I'm at least one women out there who has never been keen on dresses. I've never been much for dances really. Went to my Junior prom(11th grade) but didn't have a date. Skipped senior prom though, and really 15 years later, I don't regret it.

OP, Bigjoebob does bring up some points though. If you enjoy dancing, and mingling and music, you should go, maybe with other friends if some are being annoying. Just don't let that color how much you do or don't enjoy yourself while your there. Let yourself have fun.

ReputationRep:
    Then in that case you should definetly go! I don't think I've ever met a girl who went to Prom/Leaver's Ball and didn't have a great time. It's a rite of passage, a great way to say good bye to all your friends (who are doing you a favour by trying to pressure you into going). It's one of those things that if you don't go, you WILL regret it 20 years down the line when you're kids are all dressed up for their Prom and think 'What if...'.

But that's just my 2 cents... plus you get to buy a new dress! Never met a girl who wasn't excited about that!
    oh please. she doesn't have to go just because she's a girl. If she said she was a man you would have replied "dude, don't worry about it". :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrHappy_J)
    oh please. she doesn't have to go just because she's a girl. :rolleyes:
    I resent the implication that I am a sexist. Of course she doesn't have to go, it's not as if I'm going to reach through the internet, grab her around the throat and force her now, to go am I. Grow up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zebracolors)
    *Raises hand* I'm at least one women out there who has never been keen on dresses. I've never been much for dances really. Went to my Junior prom(11th grade) but didn't have a date. Skipped senior prom though, and really 15 years later, I don't regret it.

OP, Bigjoebob does bring up some points though. If you enjoy dancing, and mingling and music, you should go, maybe with other friends if some are being annoying. Just don't let that color how much you do or don't enjoy yourself while your there. Let yourself have fun.
    I would like to point out that I said 20 years! But thats irrelevent... I'm sure.

ReputationRep:
    Its entirely your decision, and your friends should support you. I didnt go to mine, i had been ill and could have gone but decided not to, I occassionally regret it but cant say it was a huge mistake or anything but thats my case,

ReputationRep:
    i'm not going to my yr 11 prom because i feel no need to celebrate with people who have ignored me and made me feel inferior to them for the whole time at my school.i don't have real friends so it'ld be a really boring evening for me.i just want to have a fresh start and i don't think i'll regret not going.

anyway i think if you dont want to go then don't.don't be pressured into going if you don't want to. those friend of yours are not very nice.true friends would not treat you like that.after all there'll be a sixth form or college prom you could actually find fun.

ReputationRep:
    tell them your gunna go and just dont prom isnt that big a deal !!

ReputationRep:
    My prom was a massive waste of time - no body danced, or moved that far away from the dinner tables and just drank the night away wishing they could leave (but couldn't because it was in a hotel in the middle of no where and we were being bussed out by the school when it finished). If you don't want to go, then don't - you won't enjoy yourself if you don't want to be there.

I did enjoy getting a new dress though.

ReputationRep:
    Then in that case you should definetly go! I don't think I've ever met a girl who went to Prom/Leaver's Ball and didn't have a great time. It's a rite of passage, a great way to say good bye to all your friends (who are doing you a favour by trying to pressure you into going). It's one of those things that if you don't go, you WILL regret it 20 years down the line when you're kids are all dressed up for their Prom and think 'What if...'.

But that's just my 2 cents... plus you get to buy a new dress! Never met a girl who wasn't excited about that!
    I hated my leaver's ball, all I was excited about was the fact I was going to uni. I would never have to see another girl from that school again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i_love_nerds)
    I don't want to go to my prom .. I hate the people in my year .. they are so judgemental and literally b****s .. I just want to leave school as soon as possible.

I told my friends this, and they weren't really understanding .. they excluded from their conversations and refused to talk to me until I agreed to go to prom.

I couldnt take it anymore and I just burst out crying in front of everyone.

I don't know what to do, and don't how to confront my friends.

I'm still angry at them and can't believe they can't respect my decision and just act mature about it...

Don't go. But be as cool about it as possible!
    If they bring it up again, just say in a calm, collected manner "It's a lot of effort and not really my thing to be honest."

I was in the same position as you but I went because my friends forced me to! It was boring.
    I wasted money on a dress I felt like crap in, couldn't be bothered paying to get my hair or makeup done professionally and didn't even care about most people in my year, so it was pointless.

I don't get the whole "feeling beautiful and special" thing with proms.
    I felt like it was just one big competition and a complete waste of time and money.

Try and explain to them without being critical of prom or people in your school, because they'll only get defensive and not understand you if they're that determined to enjoy it themselves.

ReputationRep:
    I don't want to go to my prom .. I hate the people in my year .. they are so judgemental and literally b****s .. I just want to leave school as soon as possible.

I told my friends this, and they weren't really understanding .. they excluded from their conversations and refused to talk to me until I agreed to go to prom.

I'm still angry at them and can't believe they can't respect my decision and just act mature about it...
    Maybe your friends thought that you were calling them judgemental and not very nice too? Either way, if you don't want to go, you don't have to. I regretted not going for a while afterwards, but when I saw the pics on facebook it looked boring and I'm glad I didn't go. Maybe I'm jus bitter but most people end up wearing tacky dresses that cost a fortune, with an orange fake tan and plastic looking curls.
    I had saved up £200 or so beforehand and treated myself to clothes and a bracelet instead if you like. Try looking at pics of prom from previous years, and imagine you were there with friends, and ask yourself whether you'd regret it later.

ReputationRep:
    *is a little confused*

If I didn't want to go, I wouldn't go. I'd just stay at home and not get a ticket. I might casually mention it to my friends but tbh, I wouldn't be friends with people who would give me the cold shoulder because I didn't want to go to a party.

I hated my year and my school but I still went to the prom. Then again, the guy I was besotted with was going AND I am a bit of a foodie so the dinner was calling my soul and I wanted to get trashed and make a fool out of myself while wearing a stunning dress that made everyone wonder who I was because they didn't think I was capable of dressing up nicely . . . a weird little bit of revenge, even if no-one really cared. I ended up in a lot of photos that night =/

That's just me, though.

ReputationRep:
    I did the same thing and for exactly the same reason. Doubt i missed up apart from the opposite sexes staring awkwardly at each other.

ReputationRep:
    I nearly didn't go to my year 11 one. But actually I now know I would have regretted not going if I hadn't gone.
    At least if you go you can actually have an opinion of how crap it was rather than how crap you'd think it'd be.
    ... I still hate going to sixth form balls though lol.

ReputationRep:

Lol what pricks. I didn't go & don't regret it! It's so freakin Americanised. Girls in my year were getting orange fake tans & limos & I hate all that fake crap. Do what you want, they can't force you to do something you don't want to do & it's not gonna make you want to spend time with them there is it.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 29, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.