Turn on thread page Beta

Presents for Babies ^_^ watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    a family member had a baby!! =) so i get to buy loads of cool presents, except i dont know what to get him..

everyones going to buy clothes and toys, which is cool but id rather get something less ordinary. i dont mind buying clothes and toys, as long as theyre either really cute or a bit different. any suggestions?

thanks

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately, babies don't generally need anything 'less ordinary' - toys and clothes are the only necessary things, and babies can't do/appreciate much else.

When my brother was born, I loved picking out outfits for him. I went shopping frequently to buy new clothes just to see him in them - I think there's something special in selecting the clothes that someone wears.

Otherwise, maybe something for when he's a bit older? A personalised book? Or, one of those lights that display images on the wall.

ReputationRep:
    Something less ordinary? How about one of those ceramic kits where you print your kids hands/feet/whatever? Ooor, maybe one of those books which records the babies first few months 'On x day of x month I first walked' ect.?

I'm trying to think what I go for my two nieces.. 1st I got a steiff teething rattle (Safe to say, it was never used lmao!), 2nd I can't remember =/ and for my nephew who's due in a couple of weeks got a mixture of clothes/blankets for an absolute steal!

Lego! Or Duplo if you want them to start building ASAP. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Parent's always appreciate clothes. Baby clothes add up to so much money when you think of how often they have to buy new sets so although everyone else will be buying clothes it will be the most appreciated gift.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cpj1987)
    Unfortunately, babies don't generally need anything 'less ordinary' - toys and clothes are the only necessary things, and babies can't do/appreciate much else.

When my brother was born, I loved picking out outfits for him. I went shopping frequently to buy new clothes just to see him in them - I think there's something special in selecting the clothes that someone wears.

Otherwise, maybe something for when he's a bit older? A personalised book? Or, one of those lights that display images on the wall.
    lol thats true, he won't even know what he's getting! to be honest i probably will end up buying baby clothes, just because theyre so cute!

a personalised book is a great idea but ill have to save that for his first birthday or something because hes a newborn and there wouldnt be much to put in it..but i love the light idea! ill have a look for one of those, thanks =)

(Original post by Homie)
    Something less ordinary? How about one of those ceramic kits where you print your kids hands/feet/whatever? Ooor, maybe one of those books which records the babies first few months 'On x day of x month I first walked' ect.?

I'm trying to think what I go for my two nieces.. 1st I got a steiff teething rattle (Safe to say, it was never used lmao!), 2nd I can't remember =/ and for my nephew who's due in a couple of weeks got a mixture of clothes/blankets for an absolute steal!
    omg i love the idea of getting a ceramic kit to imprint his hands n feet! awww. do u know if theyre available in mainstream shops?

(Original post by + polarity -)
    Lego! Or Duplo if you want them to start building ASAP. :yep:
    haha high aspirations i like it!

(Original post by kamc)
    Parent's always appreciate clothes. Baby clothes add up to so much money when you think of how often they have to buy new sets so although everyone else will be buying clothes it will be the most appreciated gift.
    yeah thats true..especially since the last baby they had was a girl so its not even like he will be able to share her old clothes lol

thanks for all the suggestions, keep them coming!

ReputationRep:
    Ohh i though this said presents for barbies. ;o

ReputationRep:
    What about blankets and things? They're at least something a baby can't grow out of for a while, and they're always necessary And baby booties! Omg, I don't know anyone with a newborn, but occasionally I like to go to Mothercare and just squee over those :p:

ReputationRep:
    Books for when they're a bit older

ReputationRep:
    http://www.iwantoneofthose.com/my-li...argetId=LIFSTO
    How about one of these, they're slightly expensive but such a good idea, and something I think any parent would appreciate...

ReputationRep:
    This!

http://www.johnlewis.com/230484458/Product.aspx

I saw it in the shop and it's gorrrrgeouss. Just fits in to the palm of your hand, it's a little music box. I just wanted to buy it anyway, even though I have no baby to buy it for...
    What a loser.
    It's also something the parents probably wouldn't buy themselves as they don't NEED it, but it'd be so lovely to have!

ReputationRep:
    What my Mum does is get presents for when they're a bit bigger, so think ahead and get clothes that will fit them down the line. EVERYONE will be buying presents for little babies, and half the time, they don't get worn because babies grow so fast, and the parents will have a lot of stuff already. So if you do buy clothes, buy them for a more grown up baby

cute "me to you" things everyone gets Winnne the Pooh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hooovan*)
    x
    http://www.mothercare.com/b/42878041...4754031&page=1

Mothercare have a couple - I remember seeing them as I was doing new baby shopping.

ReputationRep:
    If you get clothes maybe think about getting him the next size up to what he needs as babies tend to get loads of clothes in first sizes and then have nothing when they start to grow which is very soon!

EDIT: Sorry I repeated what someone has already said.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't get newborn or 0-3 month clothes because usually people are inundated with them. The same goes for cuddly toys. I'd buy some books for when he's older (either big old school picture books or board books that have touchy feely things in them - the I love my... range is great for little kids). Also, I think it's always nice to take the mum something (especially food!) too .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by psychocustard)
    What about blankets and things? They're at least something a baby can't grow out of for a while, and they're always necessary And baby booties! Omg, I don't know anyone with a newborn, but occasionally I like to go to Mothercare and just squee over those :p:
    yeah i think think theyll already have blankets because this is their second child but baby shoes are just any excuse to buy a pair hehe

(Original post by freeforever)
    http://www.iwantoneofthose.com/my-li...argetId=LIFSTO
    How about one of these, they're slightly expensive but such a good idea, and something I think any parent would appreciate...
    thats a brilliant idea, they can document pretty much his whole childhood. thanks =)

(Original post by SianSian)
    This!

http://www.johnlewis.com/230484458/Product.aspx

I saw it in the shop and it's gorrrrgeouss. Just fits in to the palm of your hand, it's a little music box.
    this is so beautiful but soooo expensive lol bit out of my price range for something so small :o:

(Original post by linkdapink)
    if you do buy clothes, buy them for a more grown up baby
    thanks for the tip =)

(Original post by Homie)

Mothercare have a couple - I remember seeing them as I was doing new baby shopping.
    wow the really nice one is about 45 quid! ill have a look online n see if i can find a similar one for a bit less. thanks!

(Original post by *River)
    Also, I think it's always nice to take the mum something (especially food!) too .
    haha yeah everyone tends to forget about the mother! ill keep my eyes peeled for her too =)

ReputationRep:
    I've just thought, but you could do a treasure box? It's basically a box with different things in it for the baby to play with, usually with different textures. You can put things like wooden spoons, rubber ducks, nail brushes, sponges etc in it (basically, anything that they won't choke on that's got an interesting texture). You could decorate it too with his name or something. It would be something for when he's a bit older, but to be honest newborns don't do much apart from eat and sleep anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Small parts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hooovan*)
    a family member had a baby!! =) so i get to buy loads of cool presents, except i dont know what to get him..

everyones going to buy clothes and toys, which is cool but id rather get something less ordinary. i dont mind buying clothes and toys, as long as theyre either really cute or a bit different. any suggestions?

thanks
    I bought this really cool book where it wasnt just like popup but magic page movements though it was about fairies so useless to you but its something theyll treasure for years and really different and not sold a lot. My mum and sis also knit/crochet which the new parents like alot as its special but babys been born and you probably dont want to learn and be lightning fast. First professional photos are really good and can be quite cheap.

Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.