Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    A mobile? My sister's best friend had a baby a few months back and my sister bought her the most beautiful mobile turned out quite cheap as she bought it (new and boxed) from eBay xx

ReputationRep:
    A baby book...something sentimental!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blinkbelle)
    A mobile? My sister's best friend had a baby a few months back and my sister bought her the most beautiful mobile turned out quite cheap as she bought it (new and boxed) from eBay xx
    lol, I thought you meant a mobile phone for a sec...

ReputationRep:
    When my friends/family have babies I always buy them clothes for 6 months - 1 year.. everyone always buys newborn clothes but they grow out of that pretty fast and then have a lot less things to wear!

I also tend to buy something for the mum, like some bath stuff or perfume.

ReputationRep:
    I dunno how this will go down as my ideas are more practical. I guess it all depends on how you package them.I know its not exactly "cute" but stuff like a boxes of nappies/wet wipes/nappy bags, socks, sleepsuits(rompers), vests come in SOOOOO useful. ASDA have deals on nappies at the moment. My mums friend brought her boxes of nappies as a christening present and she was offended but couldnt have fathomed how use they would be. As a parent I know there no worse feeling then running out of nappies (sometimes nappies turn out faulty or if the child gets ill or just has a very p***y day!)
    Im not sure of your budget but these things are pretty inexpensive as a one off, obviously if you're buying them 24/7 then it adds up.

With sleepsuits, vests, socks they come in useful cos babys always wear them even when just at home. You can get quite cute ones now a days
    Also if you do decide to get clothes then try to get them in older sizes because everyone gets things in the smallest sizes cos they grow out of them sooooo quickly.

ReputationRep:
    How about a nappy cake? You can google it for pictures- I think it's basically loads of disposable nappies wrapped in a blanket in a cake shape with bits and bobs in it like bottles and soft toys. I think they're pretty cool

http://www.sweetbabycakes.co.uk/

Here's a site that sells them or you could make your own

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VintageAmbition)
    I dunno how this will go down as my ideas are more practical. I guess it all depends on how you package them.I know its not exactly "cute" but stuff like a boxes of nappies/wet wipes/nappy bags, socks, sleepsuits(rompers), vests come in SOOOOO useful. ASDA have deals on nappies at the moment. My mums friend brought her boxes of nappies as a christening present and she was offended but couldnt have fathomed how use they would be.
    lol! i was actually thinking of just buying them a stupid amount of nappies. but its not very...tasteful, i think is the word. so i might just give them a present n some pampers vouchers (if they exist) or failing that, a boots gift card so they can just buy whatever they need from there..

(Original post by amizzle91)
    How about a nappy cake? You can google it for pictures- I think it's basically loads of disposable nappies wrapped in a blanket in a cake shape with bits and bobs in it like bottles and soft toys. I think they're pretty cool

http://www.sweetbabycakes.co.uk/

Here's a site that sells them or you could make your own
    haha i was sooo confused when i read the words nappy cake. i thought it was gona be a cake shaped like a nappy..not very appetising :P that website looks good tho, ill see what i can find! thanks

ReputationRep:
    My mum always buys a useful box for the baby, with nappies, wipes, bottles, blanket, cream, shampoo, scratch mittens, booties, etc in. She also buys a couple of extra things like a rattle in, for when the baby is a bit older. My nan also knits a cardigan for the baby, and that goes in aswell lol. maybe you could do something similar? Parents always need practical things.

Or you could get the baby a money box, or them giftsets with 'baby's first tooth/curl' boxes in. Like this - http://www.find-me-a-gift.co.uk/baby...ake-boxes.html you can get them nicer than this though. Try looking in card/gift shops

I have a half sister whose 14 years younger than me, and I take pictures of her every few months, and keep them in a photo album. When she is 16, I'm giving her the album, so she has a kind of life story thing. You may want to do it too?

I also agree with previous posts, if you get clothes, get them too big for them, so they can grow into them.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.