Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Today I made my UCAS decision and picked Solent for sport science with UCLAN as insurance (Strength and conditioning). Does anybody know what the city and uni of southampton and course is like?

Also how does the accomodation work in the first year?

ReputationRep:
    I don't know about the course, except it looks like all sports students get their own trackies to wear.

City is good, plenty of nightlife and shops and pubs.

Uni of southampton or southampton solent uni do you mean, you have mixed them up. If you mean solent, the students union is a bit rubbish, at least the DJ's tend to be. Not many sports clubs really, bit of a disappointment for me.

Once you get your results and are confirmed then you get a welcome pack through the post with a form to fill out for what you want halls wise. You could arrange your own house share if you wanted, but people tend to go for halls first year, all the halls are within 10-20minutes of the uni and night life and 30minutes of the train station.

Any other questions?

ReputationRep:
    I had an interview at Solent yesterday for Television and Video Production which I thought went terribly due to nerves. Was pretty suprised to get an offer today! Very happy because it was my first choice. I live in Cambridge and the layout of the city reminded me a lot of home. I can't wait to start

ReputationRep:
    Ive had an offer for tourism management from Solent

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dhr90)
    I don't know about the course, except it looks like all sports students get their own trackies to wear.

City is good, plenty of nightlife and shops and pubs.

Uni of southampton or southampton solent uni do you mean, you have mixed them up. If you mean solent, the students union is a bit rubbish, at least the DJ's tend to be. Not many sports clubs really, bit of a disappointment for me.

Once you get your results and are confirmed then you get a welcome pack through the post with a form to fill out for what you want halls wise. You could arrange your own house share if you wanted, but people tend to go for halls first year, all the halls are within 10-20minutes of the uni and night life and 30minutes of the train station.

Any other questions?
    Opinions are like a*sholes, everyone has them, but i think thats a bit harsh.

In terms of dj's at the uni, I quite enjoy the music, esp. on wednesday nights. I used to enjoy the friday night sessions as well but that got cancelled - which sucks.

I really love the open mic/live band nights though and i wouldnt call the union rubbish. Theres lots of cheap drinks/meals and because im a FMAS student, possibly too much of my time is spent in there!

As for sports clubs, what club are you interested in that solent didnt provide? Are you aware that the uni allow you to start a new sports club if theres nothing that appeals to you? They have already poured £75,000 into the American Football team that started last year so if you are that passionate about a specific sport, get in touch with Matt Bishop and discuss it with him. I know from experience that they are very helpful and open to new clubs/societies.

As for halls, uni is about 10mins from the polygon so its def. not 10 - 20mins from halls. Lucia Foster is a 12-15min walk and deanery is normally 8 - 10. I used to conduct walking tours to both and it wasnt that long unless you walk really slow.

I do agree about halls in first year. Its not for everyone but its def. a fun place to be, a great way to get introduced to uni life and you get more information about freshers week events and such. I think its def. the best place to be in your first year.

Disclaimer:
    I know it sounds like i work for the union but i assure you, i dont lol I just love Solent and im glad i picked it as my first choice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cheercoach101)
    Opinions are like a*sholes, everyone has them, but i think thats a bit harsh.

In terms of dj's at the uni, I quite enjoy the music, esp. on wednesday nights. I used to enjoy the friday night sessions as well but that got cancelled - which sucks.

I really love the open mic/live band nights though and i wouldnt call the union rubbish. Theres lots of cheap drinks/meals and because im a FMAS student, possibly too much of my time is spent in there!

As for sports clubs, what club are you interested in that solent didnt provide? Are you aware that the uni allow you to start a new sports club if theres nothing that appeals to you? They have already poured £75,000 into the American Football team that started last year so if you are that passionate about a specific sport, get in touch with Matt Bishop and discuss it with him. I know from experience that they are very helpful and open to new clubs/societies.

As for halls, uni is about 10mins from the polygon so its def. not 10 - 20mins from halls. Lucia Foster is a 12-15min walk and deanery is normally 8 - 10. I used to conduct walking tours to both and it wasnt that long unless you walk really slow.

I do agree about halls in first year. Its not for everyone but its def. a fun place to be, a great way to get introduced to uni life and you get more information about freshers week events and such. I think its def. the best place to be in your first year.

Disclaimer:
    I know it sounds like i work for the union but i assure you, i dont lol I just love Solent and im glad i picked it as my first choice.
    Heh, thats true, and most people value their opinions over other peoples....

I was interested in a mountain bike club, the Solent uni website states it is part of the mountain sports club, but I asked them and none of them had ever heard of it. Besides which I am in first year, thus in halls, not really practable to keep my bike in my room and I'm definitely not locking it up out in the "secure" bike sheds! I'm planning on joining the Southampton uni club next year when I'm in my house. I don't know of many people who enjoy mountain biking here, or where good places to ride are, so it may not go well if I tried to start a club to be honest.

Yeah you're right about the distances, although I did say 10-20 minutes and your times for Lucia Foster fit that :p:

First year you are right it probably is the best place to be. But it depends on who you are and who you are living with. I've been a bit unlucky really, hence my negativity.

ReputationRep:
    Heya i applied for a Business Management course 220 ucas points for 2010. Only have 210 ucas points was just wondering how many others got and feeling out my chances for an offer? how is clearing through a different course? hope i get a reply soon )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AaronSohotha)
    Heya i applied for a Business Management course 220 ucas points for 2010. Only have 210 ucas points was just wondering how many others got and feeling out my chances for an offer? how is clearing through a different course? hope i get a reply soon )
    I had an offer of 180 points and got 140 or something but was still accepted straight off. Didn't have to ring up or anything. Probably depends how many are on the course etc.

ReputationRep:
    Cheers what course was it?

ReputationRep:
    Geography with Marine Studies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dhr90)
    Heh, thats true, and most people value their opinions over other peoples....

I was interested in a mountain bike club, the Solent uni website states it is part of the mountain sports club, but I asked them and none of them had ever heard of it. Besides which I am in first year, thus in halls, not really practable to keep my bike in my room and I'm definitely not locking it up out in the "secure" bike sheds! I'm planning on joining the Southampton uni club next year when I'm in my house. I don't know of many people who enjoy mountain biking here, or where good places to ride are, so it may not go well if I tried to start a club to be honest.

Yeah you're right about the distances, although I did say 10-20 minutes and your times for Lucia Foster fit that :p:

First year you are right it probably is the best place to be. But it depends on who you are and who you are living with. I've been a bit unlucky really, hence my negativity.
    Im starting a club at solent next year and I didnt think a lot of people would be interested in it either but so far I have a committee and mailing list of 25+ without too much advertising so you dont really know until you try.

Did you speak to Luke about the club? My housemate knows someone in the mountain sports club. I dont know if they do biking but they do climbing, camping etc. If you wanna get in touch with them send me a pvt message and ill send you the guys email add/number when i get it.

Yes, my time for lucia foster matches yours but the only reason i mentioned the others is because when i work for ucas and something as simple as inaccurately saying a 5 - 8min walk is 20mins can put prospective students off and maybe recruitment at solent isn't high on your list of priorities but it is for others.

As for halls, I didnt like the people i lived with in the first semester. They were up at all hours of the night playing loud music. If you are unhappy there then all you need to do is go to your halls reception. They will give you a form to fill in and they can place you in a better place for after easter. It's quick and they even help you move. I was moved from one block to another in lucia foster and they put me in a block with some awesome girls and i was so much happier there. It seems pointless moving with just 3 months left but its worth doing if you dont like where you are. Living with people is always a gamble but noone should be miserable living somewhere, especially when something can be done about it.

Good luck to you anywho

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BoxcarRacer)
    I had an interview at Solent yesterday for Television and Video Production which I thought went terribly due to nerves. Was pretty suprised to get an offer today! Very happy because it was my first choice. I live in Cambridge and the layout of the city reminded me a lot of home. I can't wait to start

hey i have an interview on the 29th march and im terrible nerous not had an interview before for uni. Did you take a portfolio and was any on a memory stick, also how about the question was your answer very detailed and bascialy how long did it last as ive got to book a coach back and not sure how long to give myself

please reply back :d put my nerves a bit at rest!!

ReputationRep:
    Got an unconditional from Solent the other day .. May go there .. not sure yet

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AaronSohotha)
    oh will be studin a related course ,... mine is business and marketin.hope to see u er :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AshleyC)
    Got an unconditional from Solent the other day .. May go there .. not sure yet
    wt will u be studyin ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dhr90)

I love mountain biking, also in first year. I'd definitely take it up if there was a club started. As for rides I guess the New forest is pretty good but I've never actually visited.

ReputationRep:
    got an unconditional at solent, studying Mech Engineering, Im excited!!!!!!!!!! I never been tho

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jev)
    I love mountain biking, also in first year. I'd definitely take it up if there was a club started. As for rides I guess the New forest is pretty good but I've never actually visited.
    Always good to know there are people out there. There may be enough people out there to make forming a club possible. I may think about it and see about forming a club. I know the Soton Uni ride in Lordswood, so there is no cost of getting there other than lots of calories :woo:

The New Forest is good for cross country and road stuff, pretty much no downhill though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lexybabe)
    wt will u be studyin ?
    Marketing management, you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AshleyC)
    Marketing management, you?
    business and marketing .... so will u be stayin in accomodation ?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.