Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dhr90)
    Yes really. The scuba club struggles to get £20 per student (think that was the figure I got quoted), whilst the sailing club for instance gets much much more than that. It's one of the reasons why joining that club is fairly expensive as subsidies from the club are limited.
    Not really.

Overall the amount of funding provided for these sports club is very, very good - but the problem lies in when it's dealt.

There's a central pot for these clubs, and smaller & newer clubs get less money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Payno)
    Not really.

Overall the amount of funding provided for these sports club is very, very good - but the problem lies in when it's dealt.

There's a central pot for these clubs, and smaller & newer clubs get less money.
    With that said, the American football team only started last year after being a joint team with southampton university for 22 years. They started with half the volunteer coaching staff and no sponsors. They were given 40,000+ pounds from the summer of 09 to when the season ended earlier this year. How the money was spent is debatable and will no doubt affect the funding allocated next year but thats another issue.

Similarly next year, the new cheerleading squad are having all 3competitions including accommodation and travel paid for from this 'magic pot' and comps charge 25quid an athlete x 50! Nevermind two coaches at 600 pounds each to transport them, hotel accommodation for one night x 50 x 3, travel to games every saturday and sunday etc.

Just goes to show that theres money and resources but you dont know what you can get unless you ask.

ReputationRep:
    Going to Solent in September to Study ICT =)
    Give me a shout if you are too
    Take Care!

ReputationRep:
    hey im staying lucia foster in hudson block anyone got any advice or just info to tell me about this block since i cant find it out anywhere!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by granger-malfoy)
    hey im staying lucia foster in hudson block anyone got any advice or just info to tell me about this block since i cant find it out anywhere!
    It's one of seven blocks in Lucia Foster. Thats about all I can say really. I was in Drake block last year. Try joining the facebook group for more info on that block?

ReputationRep:
    hey yeah ive joined it on facebook but not many people know much. just wondered like how mnay people sharing and that

ReputationRep:
    hey yeah ive joined it on facebook but not many people know much. just wondered like how mnay people sharing and that
    Well there are 2 or 3 flats per floor, each flat has 10 people I think and 7 floors.

Most people will probably be waiting for their results before they apply. Once results day comes loads more people will join the group.

ReputationRep:
    oo thats quite alot! thanks for that!

ReputationRep:
    oo thats quite alot! thanks for that!
    Yup. Overall there are about 800 students in Lucia Foster. You will likely get to the end of the year and still be seeing/meeting people you never saw before.

ReputationRep:
    ha thats a good thing then!
    how was it having guest stay over? you never had a problem with it?
    also freshers did the uni do many things? and how can you find out about them?
    was big night out event good?

ReputationRep:
    ha thats a good thing then!
    how was it having guest stay over? you never had a problem with it?
    also freshers did the uni do many things? and how can you find out about them?
    was big night out event good?
    Its easy having guests over. There are notices saying you are not allowed them, but there isn't anyone monitoring the entrances to buildings (well there are cameras but that doesn't count), they don't check rooms so you can have people to stay if you want.

I think the union had some stuff on, but the freshers events are mostly organised by the clubs in town who advertise their own way, generally people (students) handing out leaflets/flyers or trying to sell you tickets to stuff. If you become friends with your halls on facebook they will send you messages on there about certain events.

No idea about that event sorry, I didn't go.

ReputationRep:
    o right, cause i saw it was written down and figured aslong as they dont cause problem it would of been alright.
    That a shame cause i knew a few unis who organized things and stuff. O thats good ive become mates on facebook!
    ahh damn lol.
    what events did you go to then?
    did u go to the freshers fair cause i fancy that!

ReputationRep:
    Hiya,

Please ignore the person who answered you last post.

I work for Solent union and am a student ambassador. We do indeed have a lot of things planned for freshers. On moving in weekend we take you to the union for a bbq, we have a beach party, 2 mahoosive bar crawls, film nights, we have sports and societies fair where you get lots of freebies from spoons to pizza and lock ins where local sotres literally lock you in a shop, give you champaign (nothing fancy, i think its just labrini or babysham lol) and you shop at student prices till you get bored and move on to the next store etc. there is often something to do every night.

We will have stalls set up for to buy everything from hoodies, to tshirts for certain pub crawls, to buy posters to decorate your halls, and we will show you around the city center just to help you find your bearrings and know where you are.

Yes, clubs and bars do try and lure youre in a lot during the first few weeks but thats why we are there to guide you in the right direction and look after you.

If you have any other questions, just message me and i can go into more detail. I know a bit too much about solent lol so i can pretty much answer it all. lol xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cheercoach101)
    Hiya,

Please ignore the person who answered you last post.

I work for Solent union and am a student ambassador. We do indeed have a lot of things planned for freshers. On moving in weekend we take you to the union for a bbq, we have a beach party, 2 mahoosive bar crawls, film nights, we have sports and societies fair where you get lots of freebies from spoons to pizza and lock ins where local sotres literally lock you in a shop, give you champaign (nothing fancy, i think its just labrini or babysham lol) and you shop at student prices till you get bored and move on to the next store etc. there is often something to do every night.

We will have stalls set up for to buy everything from hoodies, to tshirts for certain pub crawls, to buy posters to decorate your halls, and we will show you around the city center just to help you find your bearrings and know where you are.

Yes, clubs and bars do try and lure youre in a lot during the first few weeks but thats why we are there to guide you in the right direction and look after you.

If you have any other questions, just message me and i can go into more detail. I know a bit too much about solent lol so i can pretty much answer it all. lol xx
    Ahh this is good, its just hard trying to find out anything about solent freshers. Ive been on the site and the only thing ive seen is Big Night Out and thats it really.
    But its good that their is stuff happening!
    also how will we find out about all this?

ReputationRep:
    yeah , i have mentioned this to the union. I have a meeting with them later today regarding the cheerleading squad but i will be sure to bring that up again.

You will find out on move in day. We have Solent Angels - second and third year students who will be helping you move in - who are around all week to tell you whats happening and take/show you around as well.

xx

ReputationRep:
    ahh right, just cose if things needed tickets brought i would of done it b4 lol spread the costs!

ReputationRep:
    When do new students usually move in and that?

I'm kinda bricking it at the moment because I don't know if I have gotten in (I have the points set out in my offer but they are holding out for my A2 Media result) and don't know how to apply for accommodation since its just over a month until what Solent states as the start date for my course

Im abit uncomfortable with how fine its all being cut :\ or do I not have any reason to be worried?

ReputationRep:
    Well last year it was 20th and 21st September. I think it's similar for you this year. A weekend anyway.

If it hasn't changed then you apply for accommodation after you get your results. I had to fill in a form and send it off after I got my results. I think I was sent that form through the post and got it either on results day or the following day and sent it back a day or two later.

I wouldn't worry if I were you.

ReputationRep:
    its the 18th thats move in weekend.
    also they are ery qucink with sending stuff out.
    your in the same boat with alot of people so i wouldnt worry too much

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alpharoy09)
    When do new students usually move in and that?

I'm kinda bricking it at the moment because I don't know if I have gotten in (I have the points set out in my offer but they are holding out for my A2 Media result) and don't know how to apply for accommodation since its just over a month until what Solent states as the start date for my course

Im abit uncomfortable with how fine its all being cut :\ or do I not have any reason to be worried?
    move in weekend is 18th and 19th of september.

Universities got your results this weekend so you will be getting your accomodation forms soon. Mine arrived on the morning of results day. My mate got hers the day after. Either way, dont panic. They will send them out to you.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 2, 2010
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.