Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Right, due tomorrow. I've been trying to start it for a couple of hours now and have no idea how to! Here's my production:

Neil Patrick Harris – a name most people are familiar with, and for all the right reasons. He’s an actor who throughout his career has had to deal with potential adversity. After ‘surviving’ the pressures of being a successful child actor, he ‘came out of the closet’ and informed the world of his sexuality. Many would say this is a recipe for disaster, but not for Neil Patrick Harris – who since then has gone onto establish himself as one of television’s most recognisable stars.

He began acting at only the age of 6 but his first major role was alongside Whoopi Goldberg in the 1988 film Clara’s Heart - a performance that earned him a nomination for a Golden Globe while still only 14. In the year that proceeded, he landed the lead of his own show - Doogie Howser, M.D where he played a teenage doctor. Again, he was nominated for a Golden Globe. In the following years, he has appeared in countless films and television shows, most notably the Harold & Kumar series and How I Met Your Mother. In both Harold & Kumar films he plays a fictionalised version of himself which greatly contrasts with his actual personality. He plays an equally erratic role in the form of Barney Stinson on the multi-award winning sitcom How I Met Your Mother. Through this role he has been nominated for both an Emmy and Golden Globe while popularising the catchphrases “Suit Up!” and “Legend-wait for it!-dary” among others. These roles, contrasted with his up and coming part in the film The Best and the Brightest where he is cast as a straight dad, demonstrate Harris’ amazing versatility as an actor.

In combination with his acting career, he is also a magician who is on the board of directors of the Magic Castle. His obsession with magic began while he was a child – a time when he bought endless amounts of magic equipment to practice and perfect his own tricks. And Harris’ greatest trick was pulled off in November 2006 when his true sexuality was threatened to be publically revealed. To avoid an entire ‘scandal’ Harris immediately addressed his sexuality without much fuss which earned him a lot of respect in the eyes of many. Now, here’s the trick he so gracefully managed to perform; unlike any other gay actor before him, his sexuality has not stunted his career. Despite his sexuality he has managed to sustain his fame and success. In fact, it can be argued that his sexuality has caused a sharp increase in his fame with him now hosting events like the Tony and Emmy awards as well as being cast in more roles than ever before.

On top of this, Harris has somehow managed to obtain a universal fan base. In this modern day and age there is a lot of homophobia among young males, so for Harris to have a substantial young male following illustrates just how different he is compared to other male stars. GaySocialites.com gave a prime example of this where they mentioned how Harris “can even infiltrate the most testosterone driven event of the year and still seem cool” in reference to his appearance at this year’s Super Bowl while in the character of Barney Stinson. This demonstrates perfectly how Harris has managed to overcome the ‘complications’ that comes with being gay and famous and well, being gay in general.

So, not only has Harris made an incredibly successful transition from child star to adult actor but he’s also a true Hollywood first in the way that he can be an openly gay actor who walks the red carpet with his boyfriend, plays a womanizer, hosts award shows in addition to getting cast as a straight dad. Also, his coming out has significantly helped diminish certain stereotypes about how gay actors are limited in the roles they can play as well as providing a counterbalance for the less positive images of gay people as a whole.

The task was to represent someone positively.

Any ideas how to start the commentary? Help would be greatly appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    Heeeeelp!

ReputationRep:
    Okay then, maybe not.

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing the same thing now. I have no idea how to start it either.
    I presume you have finished your commentary now?
    If you or anyone have any advice or tips, PLEASE let me know,
    i'm really struggling.

ReputationRep:
    I did this last year and the commentry was the hardest part!! We were told to talk about:

~ Where our inspiration came from (that can always be cut though if you need to cut down on words)

~ Style models and how they helped eg: conventions that are used etc

~ The use of semantic fields, lexical choices, personification etc.

~ Discourse Structure - how you had to change it etc to make the piece more suitable for your audience.

~ How you changed your piece from the start - why you changed it.

You can cut all this down too if needs be. I hoped that has helped a bit I found the commentry a pain in the backside!! Just keep it simple as you don't have a large word count (500 if I remember correctly? For AQA anyway!) If you need any help just ask I'll try and help!

ReputationRep:
    im doin this right now and u hav to talk abou graphology, phonology, structure, layout, tone, the language in general jus pick some of the main thing and write it breifly

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 11, 2010

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.