Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm having a tough time too deciding between Imperial and Bristol as well for civil engineering.
    Imperial wants AAA* and Bristol wants AAA.

Is it true that the civil engineering building in Imperial is the most run- down?
    Well no offense, it's just what I've heard and would like to know.

Both of them are good for graduate prospects, Imperial said they are only sending out mails/ information close to the start of the semester while Bristol mailed me their prospectus which was IMPRESSIVE. Industrial tutors, personal tutors, the earthquake machine. Is there anyone studying there now? I'd definitely love to know more. As for Imperial, I only know much from the website, so it's not fair to judge now.

Any views?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by glun)
    Hi,

I'm having a tough time too deciding between Imperial and Bristol as well for civil engineering.
    Imperial wants AAA* and Bristol wants AAA.

Is it true that the civil engineering building in Imperial is the most run- down?
    Well no offense, it's just what I've heard and would like to know.

Both of them are good for graduate prospects, Imperial said they are only sending out mails/ information close to the start of the semester while Bristol mailed me their prospectus which was IMPRESSIVE. Industrial tutors, personal tutors, the earthquake machine. Is there anyone studying there now? I'd definitely love to know more. As for Imperial, I only know much from the website, so it's not fair to judge now.

Any views?
    This is the Computer Science, not the CivEng forum, I'm afraid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laser)
    This is the Computer Science, not the CivEng forum, I'm afraid.
    Oh Gosh!!! :surprise: sorry, i must have overlooked it, came here by search.

Sorry again! yikes and thanks for notifying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by glun)
    Oh Gosh!!! :surprise: sorry, i must have overlooked it, came here by search.

Sorry again! yikes and thanks for notifying.
    I've moved your query to the correct forum for you

ReputationRep:
    Congrats on the offers! Both are unis are very much the top for civ eng. It's true skempton is a bit run down, but the facilites are world class and this is probably one of smaller issues you should consider in making your decision. While I think both unis are about the same in terms of prospects, from my own experience and friends' a lot of the top civ eng consultancies (for example arup) appear to be quite Cambridge/imperial heavy.

If you have anymore imperial related questions (or otherwise) I'd be happy to help, just drop me a message and I'll get back to you when I can.

ReputationRep:
    Academically, Imperial. But if you want more of a balance between academics, sports and social life, then I would opt for Bristol. Just an opinion. And of course, congratulations for the offers. They're both at the very top for Civil Engineering.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by F1 fanatic)
    I've moved your query to the correct forum for you
    Thank you for your effort.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peel)
    Congrats on the offers! Both are unis are very much the top for civ eng. It's true skempton is a bit run down, but the facilites are world class and this is probably one of smaller issues you should consider in making your decision. While I think both unis are about the same in terms of prospects, from my own experience and friends' a lot of the top civ eng consultancies (for example arup) appear to be quite Cambridge/imperial heavy.

If you have anymore imperial related questions (or otherwise) I'd be happy to help, just drop me a message and I'll get back to you when I can.
    Ahahah thank you. So nice to see a 'potential senior' here. congratulations that you made it! wonder what sort of facilities are there in Skempton? eg. the earthquake modelling machine, etc. How do you find your course after a year? Oh and how are the lecturers too?

Hope you don't mind all the questions.

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RBarack)
    Academically, Imperial. But if you want more of a balance between academics, sports and social life, then I would opt for Bristol. Just an opinion. And of course, congratulations for the offers. They're both at the very top for Civil Engineering.
    Thank you. Hmm I guess so. :yes: I chose Imperial and Bristol over UCL and Warwick,
    do you think it's a right decision?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by glun)
    Thank you. Hmm I guess so. :yes: I chose Imperial and Bristol over UCL and Warwick,
    do you think it's a right decision?
    Absolutely. UCL and Warwick aren't up there in Civil Engineering. Warwick in particular is yet to establish itself as an engineering school.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.