Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I am so embarrassed at myself right now. Watch

I very rarely make threads anonymously, but I'm just so embarrassed at myself right now.

It's my boyfriend's birthday this week, and he's just having a casual pub-type thing for it. I've met most of his friends, and while I'm a little awkward around them, they're lovely. However, one of the ones I haven't met also happens to be a girl he's known for a few years and briefly- very briefly- dated last year. Not much happened between them, and the break-up was very amicable... but I seem to be doing the whole jealousy thing right now and it's creeping me out quite a lot. That is not me, not in the slightest.

I've even (argh!) looked at loads of photos of them together on facebook and done the whole 'well, at least I'm hotter than her' thing. I think it gets at me so much because my boyfriend and I are both quite awkward people and I haven't quite got to the stage where I'm comfortable around his friends. And she's part of his friend group, they're all extremely close, and...

Just tell me what an idiot I'm being?

The more I think about this, the more stupid I feel. :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    lol i'm like that all the time.
    except ten times worse!
    you aren't being an idiot, just need to realise he's with you not her.

ReputationRep:
    Just get drunk, you'll be fine

You're not really being an idiot I don't think, I think it's understandable you'd feel a little awkward around her but he broke up with her and has you so don't worry about it.

ReputationRep:
    Dont be embarrassed, it's a perfectly natural thing to feel. I hate my gf mentioning any ex boyfriends. The thought of her hanging out with one would be worse.

ReputationRep:
    You have him now, not her.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I very rarely make threads anonymously, but I'm just so embarrassed at myself right now.

It's my boyfriend's birthday this week, and he's just having a casual pub-type thing for it. I've met most of his friends, and while I'm a little awkward around them, they're lovely. However, one of the ones I haven't met also happens to be a girl he's known for a few years and briefly- very briefly- dated last year. Not much happened between them, and the break-up was very amicable... but I seem to be doing the whole jealousy thing right now and it's creeping me out quite a lot. That is not me, not in the slightest.

I've even (argh!) looked at loads of photos of them together on facebook and done the whole 'well, at least I'm hotter than her' thing. I think it gets at me so much because my boyfriend and I are both quite awkward people and I haven't quite got to the stage where I'm comfortable around his friends. And she's part of his friend group, they're all extremely close, and...

Just tell me what an idiot I'm being?

The more I think about this, the more stupid I feel. :facepalm:
    Damn straight! I have done that tooo.

ReputationRep:
    its okay...you only seem mildly jealous in fact!

Thanks, everyone! I shall just power through the awkwardness with beer, presents, cake and the knowledge that I am wearing a black, lacy basque underneath my understated-but-rather-sexy new outfit.

Heh. Latent insecurity leads to much spending of money.

ReputationRep:
    I have that too. My boyfriend is mates with all his exes - one in particular - and I can never stand it. You're not alone there!

ReputationRep:
    I hate when girls get like this :dry: does my head in, everything has to be a competition between you *****es :sigh: who's wearing what, who's looking better, who's going out with who.....jealousy is one of the worst qualities! If a girlfriend thought the way you do it would be enough reason for me to break up with her, that's how much of a vile quality it is!

ReputationRep:
    Ignoring the poster above this for a moment, it is perfectly normal to feel like this. The best thing you can do for yourself is remember he's with you not her, and talk to him about it. Communication is the key, just try and avoid making it sound like you don't want him to see her.

ReputationRep:
    My girlfriend is the same.
    But she tells me. To be honest, as long as she doesn't take it to an extreme, I'm quite flattered that she cares that much about me...

ReputationRep:
    OP like everyone else said, it's perfectly normal, and tbh i think you are reacting quite well to it. everyone gets jealous when faced with their other half's ex, but i'm sure it will all turn out fine and your fears will be for nothing just try and relax and have a good time

when someone I was seeing snogged a girl and got tagged on facebook, I knew it was gonna happen all along because he was always stood next to her in photos, and sometimes i couldn't really tell but thought he was dancing with her/arms round her or just standing extra close to her. And my other ex boyfriend, after I broke up with him, got with his close female friend - he used to hold her hand when going down the shop, 'as friends', I'm starting to think they liked each other all along! So it should be obvious that there's nothing to worry about, especially if you're prettier and hopefully more of a laugh/more interesting Try to forget about her and get a little drunk before going out.

(Original post by Playboy King)
    I hate when girls get like this :dry: does my head in, everything has to be a competition between you *****es :sigh: who's wearing what, who's looking better, who's going out with who.....jealousy is one of the worst qualities! If a girlfriend thought the way you do it would be enough reason for me to break up with her, that's how much of a vile quality it is!
    Well, thankfully I'm dating my boyfriend rather than you, since he understands more than anyone how insecure I get sometimes. I would go into the issues I have with that, but you know, why bother? This isn't about competition with this girl- it's about the fact that she and my boyfriend at one point shared an intimate relationship and that makes me feel awkward and a little insecure. I just want to be adult over the whole thing, and that necessitates voicing my thoughts over it. I have no idea what your problem with that is, and even less idea why you felt the need to tell me all about what you look for in a girl. xD

Your post has reminded me how much I enjoy the word 'vile', though. Mmm. Vile.

ReputationRep:
    Well, thankfully I'm dating my boyfriend rather than you, since he understands more than anyone how insecure I get sometimes. I would go into the issues I have with that, but you know, why bother? This isn't about competition with this girl- it's about the fact that she and my boyfriend at one point shared an intimate relationship and that makes me feel awkward and a little insecure. I just want to be adult over the whole thing, and that necessitates voicing my thoughts over it. I have no idea what your problem with that is, and even less idea why you felt the need to tell me all about what you look for in a girl. xD

Your post has reminded me how much I enjoy the word 'vile', though. Mmm. Vile.
    Thinking to yourself that you look better than her isn't competition you say?
    You need to learn to read properly, I didn't say what I look for in a girl :sigh: I said this sort of mentality puts me off. Apologies though, I took the fact that you'd be able to read for granted when I wrote the post.

You've already admitted that you have insecurities, and I find that quite pathetic...the question is how significant is a judgement from an insecure delusional person? Quite insignificant I'd say :dry: haha you called me vile, the pot calls the kettle black :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    You need to learn to read properly, I didn't say what I look for in a girl :sigh: I said this sort of mentality puts me off. Apologies though, I took the fact that you'd be able to read for granted when I wrote the post.

You've already admitted that you have insecurities, and I find that quite pathetic...the question is how significant is a judgement from an insecure delusional person? Quite insignificant I'd say :dry: haha you called me vile, the pot calls the kettle black :rolleyes:

i'd be careful if i were you. you wont find many women who can truthfully say they DON'T have insecurities. if you find it so pathetic you are going to live a long and very lonely life.

i really don't see what gives you the right to come on here and insult the OP like this. . . and nearly every other female on the planet too. . .

ReputationRep:

Oh yeah how dare people have those things :rolleyes: I've yet to meet someone who doesnt. If you dont, whoop-de-doo for you.

ReputationRep:
    lol how on earth could an argument erupt from this post? some folk on tsr?
    They erupt when an insecure delusional person decides to question a person's opinion, but ofcourse you'd be very defensive with the low self esteem issues and all...so I'll let you off.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with you, I don think it's very good quality at all :/

People should be more happy with themselves.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 10, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.