The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

i usually just look - if they are wearing anything nice/noticeable (not in a pervy way) or generally just to see what their style seems to be like. it's not really about ''comparing''. i think it would be exhausting to compare yourself to like every girl you came across, as well as depressing.
Reply 21
I don't really notice girls that much, and if I do, it's rare that I'd compare then to myself. If I do, then it's because of their clothes, looks (hair, face, body), boyfriends!, dancing abilities, their general confidence/walk/talk... :shifty:
Reply 22
flowermaster91
meh its kool, as long as that kitten is still there :daydreaming:

:lol:
The kitten stays :yep: at least for the time being....:ninja:
I can honestly say that I don't look at other girls and think things like that, but then I've always been told that I'm very ugly, and so I've never had anything to lose. I think the more girls are told that they are beautiful, the more it builds up into a sense of self-worth, but unfortunately, as so many girls are beautiful, it's a fragile thing.

For me it's what they do. If they've got an impressive academic record, or they grew up travelling the world, or they are proficient at an instrument or an extreme sport. Or if they have exceptionally supportive parents. Mostly the things which require you to actually have the oppertunity to do at a young age.

Travelling gets me a lot. People who go on gap years to foreign places. Although I must stop before I feel any kind of emotion.

Travelling and facebook pages. I've never really used social networking sites, because I feel like someone is stabbing me profusely as I browse through all of the happy pictures. Nngh.
Reply 24
EVERYTHING, like i get annoyed if they're wearing pretty earrings, i'll be like "omg her earrings are so nice, ahh her hair looks amazing, i look like a fat dyke next to her"

i need a life
Playboy King
The worst thing about this is that girls have the audacity to say guys are superficial :dry: They need to stop getting all jealous and making everything a competition.

If they themselves give so much importance to appearance and who looks better than whom then why should guys stop seeing you as a piece of meat aswell?

Fair point :yep: but for me its not so much competition, its more about fitting the criteria of what it is meant to be "a woman" in the 21st Century.

I pretty much compare everything, insecurity is my middle name lol. A lot of the times its things like " I wish I could dress like her and look good" or "I wish I could look that good with make up on"....pretty much goes through my head a lot of the time, its something I'm trying to work on lol.
Reply 26
The whole package. Face and clothes being most important.
I love clothes so i generally check out what other people wear and stuff...
I dislike my face very much so i'm constantly comparing it to other girls' faces, sometimes absent-mindedly
Reply 28
I compare all the bits I don't like about me to what they have.
Basically, skin and facial bone structure. Even though I really like my hair, I do look at other peoples with envy particularly if it is long and has volume because there's two things I'll never have!

Edit: Also I must add I only compare when I'm having a down day so am feeling ugly and insecure, which atm isn't too often :biggrin: Most of the time I'll look at people and mentally compliment them, I don't compare myself I just think "oh her complexions really good"/"she has a really nice figure" etc
Reply 29
face
mainly eyes
1st thing i notice
I compare a hell of a lot to be honest.
I'm not unhappy with myself but theres things i know could be improves ie my small boobs. I always notice things other girls have the I don't, nicer eyes better figure etc. Thinking certain girls seem to have everything going for them.

However , I was talking to my boyfriend today about girls i genuinly was jealous of for being pretty etc and he was like '' really ?? theres nothing special about them'' and he even thought a few were 'ugly', there wasnt many we agreed on. It was a nice confidence boost and he seemed to be telling the truth ... i hope so :smile:
I think us girls seem to judge ourselfs way too much, guys are all different as to what they like as we are.
Playboy King
If they themselves give so much importance to appearance and who looks better than whom then why should guys stop seeing you as a piece of meat aswell?

Why shouldn't they? Or are you only obliged to treat people like valuable human beings to the extent that they see themselves as valuable human beings? "Well, you self-harm, so there's nothing wrong with me putting the odd hot iron on your skin, eh?" Please. It's not as if no men have self-esteem problems either. Presumably this means you do see girls as pieces of meat? Just because many of them have this one aspect of their perspective where they feel insecure and inferior? Does that mean they have no finer feelings or intellect or rationality? Good Lord.

As for

Advanced Subsidiary

What definition of "weak" is this? Because you're a complete and courageous dignitary, right? Joan of ******' Arc, eh?
Reply 32
Playboy King
The worst thing about this is that girls have the audacity to say guys are superficial :dry: They need to stop getting all jealous and making everything a competition.

When guys put so much emphasis on girls' appearances, how can girls stop caring about them? It's cyclical. :sad:

If I see a girl with a better figure but a worse face, I will think, "well, at least I'm prettier than her," and if I see a girl who is fatter but with a nicer face, I will think, "well, at least I'm thinner than her." Optimism, eh?

If she has a better figure AND face than me, I just go :emo:

I don't really look at boobs. I think I'd like mine a bit smaller, but it's not something I think about extensively.
littleshambles

I just gave you a really innappropriately-commented positive rep.

Please ignore me; I'm not sound of mind at the moment.
littleshambles
Why shouldn't they? Or are you only obliged to treat people like valuable human beings to the extent that they see themselves as valuable human beings? "Well, you self-harm, so there's nothing wrong with me putting the odd hot iron on your skin, eh?" Please. It's not as if no men have self-esteem problems either. Presumably this means you do see girls as pieces of meat? Just because many of them have this one aspect of their perspective where they feel insecure and inferior? Does that mean they have no finer feelings or intellect or rationality? Good Lord.

That's exactly what I'm saying, I'm only obliged to treat people the very way they treat themselves. My point wasn't about the treatment itself, but how girls question guys for being superficial when they too give so much importance to looks.

I've obviously struck a nerve, and it's only those who indeed are superficial girls with low self esteem that would take offence to the post...so I think I'll spare you the humiliation from exposing your insecurities.

Oh and just for future reference, don't question my opinion :dry: big mistake. I have the right to just as easily dismiss your post/opinion as you do mine, so by you going on some tirade it isn't really going to change my perception...mainly because I refuse to take your seriously, and considering you're opinion is biased it doesn't have any bearing in my eyes.
littleshambles

As for

What definition of "weak" is this? Because you're a complete and courageous dignitary, right? Joan of ******' Arc, eh?

Exactly :wink:.

On a serious note, I stand by my point. Girls in general are just weak minded. I guess it's the media.
Reply 36
Hair, face and what they are wearing are the three main things i would look for.
It all about style to me. The clothes, if they look unique and also their face and hair. Not really bothered about figure that much.
Reply 38
Playboy King

I've obviously struck a nerve, and it's only those who indeed are superficial girls with low self esteem that would take offence to the post...so I think I'll spare you the humiliation from exposing your insecurities.

I'm not superficial, my problem is that I think everyone else is. Even when they have provided no proof that they are! So then I can become insecure which is when I start comparing myself. I don't judge/like or dislike people by their appearance, I judge my own appearance/self worth against other peoples qualities be it physical or a character trait.

But as I said, only becomes an issue for me on a bad day and they are currently not as frequent as they once were.
Advanced Subsidiary
Exactly :wink:.

On a serious note, I stand by my point. Girls in general are just weak minded. I guess it's the media.

Define. Weak. Minded. For. Me. How on earth do you know what weakness or strength even is? Do you think because a woman is insecure about her looks and attractiveness she is weak in every aspect of her life?

Playboy King

That's exactly what I'm saying, I'm only obliged to treat people the very way they treat themselves. My point wasn't about the treatment itself, but how girls question guys for being superficial when they too give so much importance to looks.

Really, girls do that a lot do they? I've never really found that. Maybe it's just you.

HAHA! You think I'm not ready to admit that I have insecurities? Of course I ******* well do. You think low self-esteem amounts to superficiality? Mate, your name is Playboy King! Are you really in any position to be lecturing anyone on superficiality? Do you think that, treating insecure women as you do like "pieces of meat" you have any bearing on which to berate anyone for superficiality? That's what you don't understand. That is why your utter inability to see beyond people's own opinions of themselves to the fact of their human dignity regardless destroys your pedestal. Mainly because it's plainly in actuality just an excuse for you to treat women how you'd prefer they were treated anyway.

Oh and just for future reference, don't question my opinion big mistake

:rofl2: Just rofl. What are you gonna do about it big man? Why are you here giving your opinion if you're so averse to having it questioned? You're not the ******* Dauphin, darling, and you're not the man of any household around here.

I have the right to just as easily dismiss your post/opinion as you do mine, so by you going on some tirade it isn't really going to change my perception...

You misunderstand my intention, which is not to change your perceptions - you appear to be beyond saving - but to inform you of my opinion, since I happen to hold my own in quite high esteem, regardless. Dismiss it if you want, I could really not care less.

mainly because I refuse to take your seriously, and considering you're opinion is biased it doesn't have any bearing in my eyes.

My opinion is biased? You don't say. Of course yours happens to be objective and shot through with God's truth, you being "the man" and all. The "Playboy King". :rofl:

Latest

Trending

Trending