Turn on thread page Beta

The LAST day to decide my A LEVEL OPTIONS! watch

ReputationRep:
    I don't have a specific job in mind but I would either like to work in social sciences or history/law/journalism, a career of that sort.
    Are the following A Levels good (on a scale of 1-10, 10 being the highest) if I want to keep my options open yet go to a good uni?

1.Biology
    2.History.
    3. Religous Studies
    4. Psychology

Reserved options - Philosophy, English Lit

*NOTE* I did not pick History or RE at GCSE!
    And I am getting A*'s in Bio and in English Lit B's.

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    If you have an interest in law/journalism, I would recommend English Literature. Biology, History and Psychology are fair choices. Not really sure about Religious Studies though.

ReputationRep:
    I think you should take English lit. instead of History or RE.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by D0LLxo)
    I don't have a specific job in mind but I would either like to work in social sciences or history/law/journalism, a career of that sort.
    Are the following A Levels good (on a scale of 1-10, 10 being the highest) if I want to keep my options open yet go to a good uni?

1.Biology
    2.History.
    3. Religous Studies
    4. Psychology

Reserved options - Philosophy, English Lit

*NOTE* I did not pick History or RE at GCSE!
    And I am getting A*'s in Bio and in English Lit B's.

Thanks!
    English! Seriously, you're gonna be at a disadvantage if you try and go into any of the fields you mentioned with no A-level English- some of them (i.e. Journalism/Law) have it as a requirement you know? Doing Religious Studies is not a good idea in the slightest. History is a very good choice, and Biology's good considering you're doing really well in it.

These would be the ideal choices for what you're thinking:

*English*
    History
    Economics
    Other

ReputationRep:
    Why do u want to do Religious Studies? I don't think it is respected by 'good' universities.

Biology, History, Psychology and English Lit seems a good combination imo. It keeps you open to a lot of different courses like Law, Journalism. If you want to do Economics, I'd suggest dropping Biology and do Maths instead.

Best of luck!

ReputationRep:
    Biology, History, English Literature & Psychology seems like a good combination.

ReputationRep:
    I think English Lit would be better than RE, if you want to do Law, journalism etc. Atleast you have a nice idea about what you want to do, and the careers you want to do aren't very subject specific. If you really enjoy RE, then you should probably take that on

ReputationRep:
    Ignore anyone who says RS isn't respected - it actually is a good subject despite the 'studies' in it; it's nothing like the GCSE at all, and is actually a demanding subject. People who say otherwise have no idea what they're talking about.

</rant>

For journalism I would generally recommend English Lit, but if you're getting Bs at GCSE then that probably isn't the best of ideas - I got A* at GCSE and only a B at AS level, so did many other people I know, so if you're better at Biology then do that.

ReputationRep:
    I picked biology and psychology (:
    Psychology is by far my favourite. Infact that's the only option i'm happy with!
    I took biology, chem, geography and psychology. Which i could drop the first 3 to be honest! Make sure you know what you want, you can change a few weaks into term but still, i wish i could turn back time and take totally different options :|

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by innerhollow)
    English! Seriously, you're gonna be at a disadvantage if you try and go into any of the fields you mentioned with no A-level English- some of them (i.e. Journalism/Law) have it as a requirement you know? Doing Religious Studies is not a good idea in the slightest. History is a very good choice, and Biology's good considering you're doing really well in it.

These would be the ideal choices for what you're thinking:

*English*
    History
    Economics
    Other
    Why does everyone say RE is a soft subject, on the Cambridge website its right up there along with History? I though Psychology would be considered as a soft subject.

ReputationRep:
    Yup, I'm in agreement with everyone else. English Lit, Biology, Psychology/RS (one or the other) and History would give you a very solid grounding that would set you up well for university. You have to be careful with the top unis, though, as there will be many applicants with the 'perfect' A level combination for whichever course they're applying to, and by spreading yourself over a wide variety of subjects, you are actually limiting your options when it comes to the top unis in the country (of course, there are many courses, such as law, where the A level combination really doesn't matter, but it's always good to keep that in mind).

Also note that if you don't enjoy EL but you do enjoy RS, take RS - it might set you back a little when it comes to applying to one of the better unis, but I don't think anyone would recommend spending two years studying a subject that you hate. The same applies to Psychology, which is usually considered a soft subject also.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by porkstein)
    Yup, I'm in agreement with everyone else. English Lit, Biology, Psychology(?) and History would give you a very solid grounding that would set you up well for university. You have to be careful with the top unis, though, as there will be many applicants with the 'perfect' A level combination for whichever course they're applying to, and by spreading yourself over a wide variety of subjects, you are actually limiting your options when it comes to the top unis in the country (of course, there are many courses, such as law, where the A level combination really doesn't matter, but it's always good to keep that in mind).

Also note that if you don't enjoy EL but you do enjoy RS, take RS - it might set you back a little when it comes to applying to one of the better unis, but I don't think anyone would recommend spending two years studying a subject that you hate. The same applies to Psychology, which is usually considered a soft subject also.
    Not at all! I love studying English lit the only problem is I'm not so good at it. My teacher thinks I have the potential to get an A* but the only issue is I can NEVER finish the exam on time :eek3: So I end up getting B's. And I heard people who get A*'s at GCSE get like C's at A Level so that puts me off too..

ReputationRep:
    First up, note that GCSE results have almost no bearing on A Level results. I've seen people with As in maths and science at GCSE who are sitting comfortably below the E boundry at A Level, as well as people with Bs and Cs who are on track for the top grades.

Second up, go with English. You enjoy it, it is a well respected subject, and with the right amount of effort you'll likely get just as good a grade in it as any other subject. That's what I would do, anyway. You can always switch early in the year if you have a change of heart. In fact, you don't even have to finalise your choices until September; you'll have plenty of time to think about your decision and whether or not you want to stick with it =D

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. London Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  2. Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.