Turn on thread page Beta

Young people and gyms. watch

ReputationRep:
    Okay so me and my boyfriend had a massive argument about this today

My little sister's friends (11/12/13 years old) have all started going to the gym. They all go together on a Saturday and spend pretty much the whole day there working out, and often go on school days. They won't even eat snack-y food at a sleepover. The thing is none of them have any fat on them in the first place.

Personally it makes me feel a bit sick that their parents are letting them go work out to get thinner. When i was that age i could not care less.
    I'm not saying they shouldn't excercise, it's just that when i was young i would go to the park to play rounders, or just generally play around with my friends, running about. I don't think it's healthy or safe at all for them to be doing this

However my boyfriend thinks it's great they're doing this, because 'no-one likes fat people'. He seems to think that if you go to the park to play, you'll get hit by a car or something.

So yeah do you think kids should be going to the gym this young? I disagree with gyms all together tbh, unless it's like weight training, cause there's nothing there you can't really do at home :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Well..let them do what they want, at least they can't doing drugs.

Course, its your view that such a young age that should not be working out at gym. There is no regulations to how old a person should be to go apply membership at gym.

Course depends on what gym and their requirements.

I workout when i was 12 years old, a pay as you go gym. Didn't affect me one little bit, may have stunt my growth but who knows. I'm 6ft, could i have been even taller if i didn't work out such a young age? *shrugs*

Either way, i'm happy to work out at such a young age, i wouldn't be talented at gymnastic and athletics. Sad but true.

ReputationRep:
    That's ridiculous. Tell those kids that there growth could be stunted, they would become hench(no man likes hench women)ect.

ReputationRep:
    god they dont even have tits yet and they're at the gym, wtf man

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fourdigit)
    Well..let them do what they want, at least they can't doing drugs.
    Retarded logic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by puma21)
    That's ridiculous. Tell those kids that there growth could be stunted, they would become hench(no man likes hench women)ect.
    Lol, they're 11 year old girls, i'd be surprise if they were there lifting weights.

They probably walk on the treadmills or go on the exercise bikes talking about Twilight.

You have to be about 14 to join my local gym I think.

ReputationRep:
    kinda sad tbh, I think kids should **** around outside more. It gives good physical and mental health.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ciawhobat)
    kinda sad tbh, I think kids should **** around outside more. It gives good physical and mental health.
    yea i know what you mean

ReputationRep:
    What's wrong with it?

Kids used to oh I don't know RUN AROUND OUTSIDE?

Until we had too many pedo's

let them run on treadmills if it makes them happy

ReputationRep:
    I think that's rubbish. I wasn't allowed to join my local gym until I was 16 and even then I used to go to these special teenage sessions once a week, where they taught you how to lift the weight properly etc..

I think the problem is kids don't go outside these days and are always stuck behind computers so I'm actually glad they are going to the gym!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cowsforsale)
    yea i know what you mean

I actually think I know some of them...
    Meh, all chavs look the same.

ReputationRep:
    well at least they're not at home binging on junk food and getting high off dodgy cartoons

ReputationRep:
    Well at least they're not getting raped by alien monsters, eh!

ReputationRep:
    its just a phase

ReputationRep:
    I worked out since I was 7 and I turned out okay didn't I?

ReputationRep:
    How hard/often are they really "working out"? It's probably not much more exertion than playing sports for school/clubs on a weekend? I'd wager they spend some of that time in the pool/hot tubs/café having a gossip.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by puma21)
    No it couldn´t.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brotherhood)
    No it couldn´t.
    Fixed for emphasis. Unless you injure yourself weights won't stunt your growth they may actually make you grow more.

ReputationRep:
    I think its very good. At least they don't waste time on TSR like all the retar... oh wait!

ReputationRep:
    I was at the gym at 14 banging weights was my own choice and now I have shoulders like the Hulk lol.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.