i though gyms had age limits on them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brotherhood)
    No it couldn´t.
    It could if they decide to lift heavy weights

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chemical_bex)
    Okay so me and my boyfriend had a massive argument about this today

My little sister's friends (11/12/13 years old) have all started going to the gym. They all go together on a Saturday and spend pretty much the whole day there working out, and often go on school days. They won't even eat snack-y food at a sleepover. The thing is none of them have any fat on them in the first place.

Personally it makes me feel a bit sick that their parents are letting them go work out to get thinner. When i was that age i could not care less.
    I'm not saying they shouldn't excercise, it's just that when i was young i would go to the park to play rounders, or just generally play around with my friends, running about. I don't think it's healthy or safe at all for them to be doing this

However my boyfriend thinks it's great they're doing this, because 'no-one likes fat people'. He seems to think that if you go to the park to play, you'll get hit by a car or something.

So yeah do you think kids should be going to the gym this young? I disagree with gyms all together tbh, unless it's like weight training, cause there's nothing there you can't really do at home :yep:
    It's just a bit sad, really. When I was that age I was far more interested in playing games, making up stories, having fun, that sort of thing. Not mindlessly working out at a gym. It's like childhood is disappearing...

ReputationRep:
    Kids that go to the gym from a young age end up dead by their mid 20's, I read it here. They're never wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brotherhood)
    No it couldn´t.
    (Original post by PeeWeeDan)
    Fixed for emphasis. Unless you injure yourself weights won't stunt your growth they may actually make you grow more.
    Actually I'm not sure this is correct. The concern would not be weight lifting, but this kind of quasi-anorexia can do damage. Everyone in this section and indeed everyone with GCSEs should know that calories are required for growth and this won't work if the only calories they are getting are being "worked off" at the gym.

It seems as though if a girl recovers from AN before she stops growing, she will grow pretty much to her full height. But if she doesn't then she won't, and that is bad. Remember that girls stop growing a lot earlier than boys too.

This kind of sub-clinical "anorexia" (colloquial) hasn't really been studied, but here is an interesting thought exercise: if low body mass index is a prime indicator of a disease which stunts growth and thus decreases BMI a lot slower than it would in an adult, are sub-clinical cases really less serious or even different at all? Or does that just mean that cases which actually require treatment are really ******* serious?

I don't really know anything about it. Perhaps someone does. But to say that a group of skinny girls exercising obsessively and eating a deficit is not going stunt their growth is at best an over-simplification based on faith in assumptions and at worst bad, dangerous advice.

Hopefully it's just a phase.

ReputationRep:
    I would do press-ups and sit-ups most nights from the age of like 12-17...plus running and stuff....not really weights and the gym though.

I do find it a bit strange that 12 year old girls would want to go gym rather than dancing.....have they got goals to become fit or just skinnier??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by puma21)
    That's ridiculous. Tell those kids that there growth could be stunted, they would become hench(no man likes hench women)ect.
    myth

and women cannot put on much muscle AT ALL naturally, especially children aged like 11

ReputationRep:
    I thought you had to be 16 to join a gym or is that just certain gyms?

I'd find it a little wierd seeing 11 year old girls in a gym, probably having more endurance than me (I'm like J.D) but then again I rarely go to the gym as I have no interest in having muscles at all: my logic is that I'm not the sort of person to get in a fight so I don't need to be strong, and, that if a girl likes muscles then either she can have her own or she can find someone else that has one.

It annoys me when people go to the gym just to go on the treadmill. I go on runs whenever I have my occasional wants to lose a little bit of weight and run to the countryside (I know that not everyone can do this but run round the estate or the streets or something like that) with apocalyptic music playing, waiting for it to rain so I can throw my arms in the air and point to the sky. It's more fun than running to a certain speed and on a certain gradient.

ReputationRep:
    Businesses ain't turning down customers lol. Are you aware of something called the "news"?

ReputationRep:
    When I was that age I played football and went running occasionly, and did sit ups in my room :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Would you rather they went out got drunk and get raped? You sick ****.

The gym is their leisure activity. Leave them be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bishamon)
    well at least they're not at home binging on junk food and getting high off dodgy cartoons
    exactly this, I mean why would healthy activities be viewed negatively? if they get into the habit of being in the gym now then they'll be much healthier for the rest of their lives.

ReputationRep:
    Surely they wont be able to do any kind of free weights unsupervised at that age...

If they aren't doing squats then...

ReputationRep:

If your sister and her friends continue going to the gym, they could end up looking like this ^ .....within a few months!

On a more serious note, it depends on their motive for going to the gym whether it is bad or not. If they are going down for leisure / fitness then that's all good. On the other hand, they could be going down with the intention of starving / exercising themselves anorexic. For example, I saw a girl in the gym who was about 17 / 18 and very slim, yet was still complaining to her friend about a morsel of fat on her arm. So, as long as your sister doesn't become gaunt and anorexic then you should encourage her, plenty worse things she could be doing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by john87)
    myth

and women cannot put on much muscle AT ALL naturally, especially children aged like 11
    Take it easy i am just pointing it out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Splodger)
    I was at the gym at 14 banging weights was my own choice and now I have shoulders like the Hulk lol.
    You have green shoulders?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by burningnun)
    Actually I'm not sure this is correct. The concern would not be weight lifting, but this kind of quasi-anorexia can do damage. Everyone in this section and indeed everyone with GCSEs should know that calories are required for growth and this won't work if the only calories they are getting are being "worked off" at the gym.

It seems as though if a girl recovers from AN before she stops growing, she will grow pretty much to her full height. But if she doesn't then she won't, and that is bad. Remember that girls stop growing a lot earlier than boys too.

This kind of sub-clinical "anorexia" (colloquial) hasn't really been studied, but here is an interesting thought exercise: if low body mass index is a prime indicator of a disease which stunts growth and thus decreases BMI a lot slower than it would in an adult, are sub-clinical cases really less serious or even different at all? Or does that just mean that cases which actually require treatment are really ******* serious?

I don't really know anything about it. Perhaps someone does. But to say that a group of skinny girls exercising obsessively and eating a deficit is not going stunt their growth is at best an over-simplification based on faith in assumptions and at worst bad, dangerous advice.

Hopefully it's just a phase.
    I´m pretty sure he meant that weights = stunted growth though, that´s what I was referring to anyway.

ReputationRep:
    But what you're pointing out is wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yokel)
    But what you're pointing out is wrong.
    heavy weights stunts growth?

ReputationRep:
    but it's wrong, so don't "point it out".

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.