Turn on thread page Beta

Young people and gyms. watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cowsforsale)
    yea i know what you mean

See look, all of them drinking delicious orange juice. It doesn't get any better than this.

ReputationRep:
    ...i saw girls of a similar age going to buying diet pills in Boots the other day

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mathew551)
    See look, all of them drinking delicious orange juice. It doesn't get any better than this.
    Who loves Orange Soda?

Kev loves Orange Soda... adoidoidoooooooooo....bruv!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fourdigit)
    Well..let them do what they want, at least they can't doing drugs.

Course, its your view that such a young age that should not be working out at gym. There is no regulations to how old a person should be to go apply membership at gym.

LOL they will and they shall exposed the wonders of steroids

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by puma21)
    heavy weights stunts growth?
    No, it doesn't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by friendly_fiend2)
    Who loves Orange Soda?

Kev loves Orange Soda... adoidoidoooooooooo....bruv!
    Yeah mate.

ReputationRep:
    God some people are so naive. I've had an eating disorder for four years now and people don't realise how vulnerable young girls are and how easy it is cross the fine line between wanting to be healthier and becoming obsessed. Maybe you should ask them what kind of things they're doing at the gym. Yeah, if they're just going to exercise for their fitness, that's a good thing that should be encouraged - not everyone likes exercising outside. But just keep an eye on them that they don't get obsessed with their weight and have a distorted body image.. at that age they should be having fun not worrying about things like that!!

ReputationRep:
    Let kids do what they want. If you try to stop them doing things (especially something as trivial as going to the gym) they just get bitter and will probably do it anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kiwigirl)
    God some people are so naive. I've had an eating disorder for four years now and people don't realise how vulnerable young girls are and how easy it is cross the fine line between wanting to be healthier and becoming obsessed. Maybe you should ask them what kind of things they're doing at the gym. Yeah, if they're just going to exercise for their fitness, that's a good thing that should be encouraged - not everyone likes exercising outside. But just keep an eye on them that they don't get obsessed with their weight and have a distorted body image.. at that age they should be having fun not worrying about things like that!!
    This.

ReputationRep:
    I seriously doubt doing weights at a young age stunts growth.....as long as they're drinking plenty of milk and got a good balanced diet they'll be fine-steroids on the other hand can stunt growth and mess up hormones. Lots and lots of the strongest people that there has ever been have been people that was brought up on farms and helped out by doing heavy lifting from a young age and they're not dwarfs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brotherhood)
    I´m pretty sure he meant that weights = stunted growth though, that´s what I was referring to anyway.
    True puma21 is wrong about weights but that's not actually what the thread was about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CB91)
    You have green shoulders?
    Lol there not green but big

ReputationRep:
    OHMYGOD young people enjoying the gym shock horror!!

Would you have a problem if they had joined a dance class? A womens football team? A running club? An aerobics class?....at my rowing club we have a Junior Squad which starts at age 11, so there is nothing wrong with exercising at that age.

As others have said, it's highly unlikely that they're
    a) Doing weight training (I'm sure instructors/other members would advise them to either not do them or show them very light weight training which would be appropriate for them)
    b) Doing anything significantly intensive

They obviously go as a group of friends, so are enjoying this social activity whilst keeping healthy. Guidelines suggest young people do an hour of exercise a day (correct me if I'm wrong please) so what they are doing is good.

Others have suggested that you ask what sort of exercises they do (in an interested way, not in a demanding way) and also just make sure they are eating properly. But even if you didn't do either of these I wouldn't be too worried - I think it's a positive thing for people this young to be actively engaged in fitness activities which they haven't actually been forced to attend.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.