Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have found the most awesome shoes ever (I want them for my prom :o: !) But they have 5 inch heels, and I'm a completely heel noob.
    My good old mother said it would be impossible for me to walk in them let alone atempt to dance, especially concidering as I am 5 ft 8 already!

Whats your verdict? Are 5 inch heels just too much from your personal experience?
    I am afraid I have fallen for them movie style.

ReputationRep:
    you would look stunning, tall girls always do! why not, just buy it if you like it, have a nice time at your prom, which I could be your date..lol

ReputationRep:
    From personally experience, i think you'd end up taking them off!
    I took my shoes off at my first prom and the heels werent as big at that.
    If your not used to heels or just not very good in them get smaller ones and then practice in them.
    =] xx

ReputationRep:
    Them shoes are stunning
    If you get them wear them about inside for about 2 weeks before you plan on wearing them for a night out. Thats what i always do and the shoes never hurt

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rhiani-ani-on)
    From personally experience, i think you'd end up taking them off!
    I took my shoes off at my first prom and the heels werent as big at that.
    My personal experience also involved taking them off, I managed to master walking in them, when it came to dancing. No way

ReputationRep:
    i love them! practice walking in smaller heels and then practice walking in these before your prom

ReputationRep:
    wear them around in the house for a few days

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by april_happy)
    I have found the most awesome shoes ever (I want them for my prom :o: !) But they have 5 inch heels, and I'm a completely heel noob.
    My good old mother said it would be impossible for me to walk in them let alone atempt to dance, especially concidering as I am 5 ft 8 already!

Whats your verdict? Are 5 inch heels just too much from your personal experience?
    I am afraid I have fallen for them movie style.
    They appear to have a platform at the front so they aren't really 5 inches, although that is still extremely high. I am also somewhat of a heel loser, and can max. do 4 inches. I do own some 5 inch heels which sit at the back of my closet. I would advise against them, esp. for dancing + they'd be too tiring at an event like prom.

ReputationRep:
    The elevated front will take the slant off somewhat, but I don't think they'd ever be really comfy

ReputationRep:
    All I can say is get practising in them, walking and even dancing lol. Or even try to get a pair that's maybe a bit smaller to work your way up? Depends how much more time/money you can throw at this. I'd wear them though, just drink a bit to numb the pain - but even so, its not exactly a club you're going to, so you could take them off if you had to, or sit down for a break.

ReputationRep:
    In my experience 5 inch heels aren't so bad if the toe part has a 'hidden platform' (I think they call it) because you're essentially only standing on a 2 or 3 inch heel.

I'm 5ft 11 by the way, and besides being a giant I seem to manage ok in them when walking/dancing (although your feet do ache like hell by the end of the night - I find it's the same no matter what size heel you have!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chan89)
    In my experience 5 inch heels aren't so bad if the toe part has a 'hidden platform' (I think they call it) because you're essentially only standing on a 2 or 3 inch heel.

I'm 5ft 11 by the way, and besides being a giant I seem to manage ok in them when walking/dancing (although your feet do ache like hell by the end of the night - I find it's the same no matter what size heel you have!)
    Oh oh, torn! The most amazing shoes, on sale! Ahh what do I do?!
    If I buy them and never wear them I would have failed the awesome shoes aha.
    Hmmmm, tricky.

ReputationRep:
    Oooo, I really don't like them. :puke: I always think feet look so much better when the shoes are closed at the front, compared to having a nasty toe stinking out, pointing in my direction. :afraid:

ReputationRep:
    i remembered clubbing day, squeezing your toes in killer hels and that feeling when you take them off at 5am, ahh!
    newaiz i'm afraid you'll have to look for other shoes, always remember if you are not sure leave it out, to have a good night you must be 100% comfortable and flexible or you might as well stay at home

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ladipidoo)
    Oooo, I really don't like them. :puke: I always think feet look so much better when the shoes are closed at the front, compared to having a nasty toe stinking out, pointing in my direction. :afraid:
    I agree with this if the shoes are regular courts, orrr shoe boots, ones that have an entire panel of material apart from a little toe escape. However, these are sandal type things, so there are many many gaps for all other parts of the foot too =)
    (I just realised that sounds patronising Its not meant to, honest.)

ReputationRep:
    I agree with this if the shoes are regular courts, orrr shoe boots, ones that have an entire panel of material apart from a little toe escape. However, these are sandal type things, so there are many many gaps for all other parts of the foot too =)
    (I just realised that sounds patronising Its not meant to, honest.)
    Hah yeah, but I, personally, hate shoes which show toes. :afraid: There's just something about the that puts me off quite badly.
    And d/w, it honestly didn't sound patronising.

Edit: I quite like your jumper, though. :coma: Where's it from? :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    Hmmmm, tricky.

If you really love them then get them. They've got a platform so they won't feel as high as they actually are. You could also put something like these http://www.newlook.co.uk/1817900/181...ctDetails.aspx in your handbag and change if your feet get sore/you want to dance

ReputationRep:
    Hmmmm, tricky.
    You can buy them because they are lush and if you dont wear them for your prom then im sure you will find other opportunities to wear them x

ReputationRep:
    Those shoes are nice!
    but i ended up taking off my heels at prom to dance around.. but if your going to wear them after prom then get them just practice in the house walking and dancing with them on, i do this :lol: luckily enough i can walk in 5 inch heels lol

ReputationRep:
    Get them, wear them EVERYWHERE leading up to it to break them in, take them off for dancing. It's not half as bad as everyone says if you get used to it, my school shoes in sixth form (and I walked there and back as well) were all 5 inch heels apart from one 4 inch pair.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 11, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.