Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Basically I really do not want to go to my graduate ceremony, those kinds of things are boring at the best of times however they're usually okay as it's a chance to be proud of all the hard work you've done. But, I've hated my time at uni, haven't done any hard work and would rather get the hell away from the place rather than sit and hear all about "your excellent hardwork and how the future is yours for the taking" kind of speeches.

I wasn't going to go, and this was fine, however my mum told me that she really wants to see me graduate so my problem is, do I sit through it to give my parents the chance to be proud of me and have the obligatory photo to brag to the neighbours or just not go.

It's not like my parents have paid for my degree or financially supported me so it's not like I owe them but I understand they want to the parent thing.

Is it worth grinning and bearing it for them?

ReputationRep:
    Just go. I felt the same as you in regards to the ceremonial aspect, speeches etc but you'll feel proud of what you have achieved afterwards.

ReputationRep:
    They did pay for the first 18 years of your life so yes you should go, and go with them.

ReputationRep:
    id go you can never go back and do it again if you dont

ReputationRep:
    Go.

ReputationRep:
    go, its only one day

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by romeos*****)
    Basically I really do not want to go to my graduate ceremony, those kinds of things are boring at the best of times however they're usually okay as it's a chance to be proud of all the hard work you've done. But, I've hated my time at uni, haven't done any hard work and would rather get the hell away from the place rather than sit and hear all about "your excellent hardwork and how the future is yours for the taking" kind of speeches.

I wasn't going to go, and this was fine, however my mum told me that she really wants to see me graduate so my problem is, do I sit through it to give my parents the chance to be proud of me and have the obligatory photo to brag to the neighbours or just not go.

It's not like my parents have paid for my degree or financially supported me so it's not like I owe them but I understand they want to the parent thing.

Is it worth grinning and bearing it for them?
    It is two or three hours out of your life. Would it really be so unsufferable to make the 'rents proud of you for a while?

ReputationRep:
    Do what you think is best. I suspect you feel like you should go or you wouldn't have asked this question...

ReputationRep:
    I hate that kind of mentality 'where you don't need to owe anything to your parents'. ********. They raised your ass. Go to the ceremony, stop being a *****.

ReputationRep:
    go... you may regret not goin, but you wont regret goin

does that make sense, it did in my head

ReputationRep:
    Go! My graduation was really short, just over an hour I think? And the graduates got to sit on like a balcony bit so basically I passed the time people watching the crowd.

My parents probably suffered more than me, they had to sit with my delightful ex boyfriend.

ReputationRep:
    Your parents deserve this so stop being such a whinny prat and just go and try to look good. It wont kill you, im sure they have done thousands of things they hated just to have you happy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nizzay!)
    I hate that kind of mentality 'where you don't need to owe anything to your parents'. ********. They raised your ass. Go to the ceremony, stop being a *****.
    By "owe" them I meant that it's not like they'd paid my way through uni. I choose to go to uni myself etc. I don't think i'm being a *****. I don't want to go the ceremony because I don't feel like I deserve it and will feel bad everyone being so proud of me because I haven't done anything to deserve their praise.
    I'll feel more like a ***** sitting there with everyone going "oh well done"

However I think I know I have to go and am just whining about it yes.

ReputationRep:
    I bet you'll end up enjoying it

ReputationRep:
    Just go, it won't kill you. Most parents want to see their kid graduate - make them happy. However much you believe you don't deserve it, your parents will believe the opposite anyway.

Who knows, you might love it!

This time last year a friend of mine was nearing the finishing line of his degree and he muttered the exact same words as you have ''I don't wanna go''. After much chatting and etc, I convinced him to go. He went and reported back to me with ''I'm glad you made me see sense and go for Graduation''. You may not feel like its worthwhile, but believe me you will regret it big time if you don't go!!!!!!! . . . .

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.